Handling questions/tips

KTMmartin

Reaction score
Handling problems I never figured out: :nenau
Front wheel weave at crawling corner speeds - co-incides with loading the bike up with camping gear and sitting quite far front. What is the bike telling me is wrong and what should I do about it?

Front wheel washing out - on mud or sand. Would dropping pressure really make a difference (not tried due to having to ride back on roads / fear of tearing tube). I know it will make some, but is the difference like night and day or just a bit better?

Driving at a pace on mud / sand - front breaks away, I correct it, tankslapper imminent. Does going faster really help, or should I look at other areas?

I do mostly tarmac miles on metzler saharas, can't afford a second set of offroad tyres. I can't easily change the preload, and the spring is stock at the back & I have no steering damper.

Thanks for the n00b help!:thumb2

And this is on... a KTM?

Well yes a 640 adventure, but not specifically related to this bike alone. I have had the same problems in the same scenarios on both a small honda and a 2-stroke russian bike. I usually stick to gravel/rock, but get forced into sand or mud from time to time and I find the same techniques don't work for me. When coupled with camping gear, I really struggle.

Too much, or poorly distributed weight. Holding the bars too tight. Riding beyond your or the bike's ability.

Yes, when there is more weight it causes the problem - so upsetting the distribution. Given that the front wheel then likes to then wobble from side to side, does this mean the weight should be put further forwards, backwards, lower, higher? I don't think it's me causing the problem regarding grip.

The bike and I are fine in most conditions, however it's the additional gear and weight that I'd like to understand.

Back
Top Bottom