Czech Republic

iaing

Reaction score
I'm off to Eastern Germany and the Czech Republic in May. Planning to camp and hopefully do more than spend all day on the bike. Any tips, suggestions or recommendations for that part of the world?:gringo

iaing said:
I'm off to Eastern Germany and the Czech Republic in May. Planning to camp and hopefully do more than spend all day on the bike.

Some holiday if you cant spend all day on the bike!...whats the point.

If you must go watch out for very cheap beer...its loverly

Dont leave your bike unattended in cities/large towns unless you`re looking to get a new one via the insurance company.

Czech...

Before you start this is quite long….

Have been going to Czech since 1986 on a fairly regular basis and have seen the country change since the fall of the Iron Curtain, and not always for the better.

Despite various doom and gloom postings on Internet forums I’ve not found the country to be any worse than any other where the light-fingered are concerned. Lock the bike up and leave nothing on it that is easily nickable (tank bags etc), just as you would in theft hotspots up and down the UK.

Haven’t camped in Czech for ages, as the campsites aren’t up to the standards of the West. Czechs generally have a lower expectation of what to expect than us pampered Westerners. I have stayed at Youth Hostels. Many of these come with private parking and are cheap. Many Prague hotels are aimed at Yanks and Germans and vie with London for prices! Not what you expect in a country where 500ml bottle of beer is about 28p with a couple of pence back on the bottle! The current exchange rate is around 46kc to the £1 sterling.

An email to Hana Dvorakova at the KMC Office in Prague can just about get you a bed to sleep in all across the CR. The email is kmc@kmc.cz and Hana speaks and writes in English. My personal favourite is the Hotel Extol in Holosovice in Prague and has off-road parking. I have stayed several times either as a family, with a group of bikers or on my todd! You can get all around Prague by buying a strip of public transport tickets and hopping on and off trams, although the centre is quite compact and you can see everything on foot.

Depending on how far you want to travel and how long you want to be away, then Bohemia is a good choice. As well as Prague there are plenty of places to go and sightsee.

Ceský Krumlov is a World Heritage site. The human acted version of Pinocchio (as well as others) was filmed there. Ceske Budejovice has the Budweis breweries but not a lot else to recommend it. Tabor has some history. But Prague will always be the main attraction.

In May the weather should be okay. I have been to the Czech Centre of the Suzuki Owners Club rally in Chudcice near Brno (Southern Moravia) four times and am planning a 5th for this year. This rally is of course a Suzuki one (!) but I do own one still! It’s also in May over Spring BH.

There is a four-stroke rally that gets advertised in the BMW Club “Journal” in Zlin (towards the Slovak border) the guy organising that is Jarek Stach on jastach@cinergy.cz.

If you cross over from East Germany on the roads down from Chemnitz or Dresden, then you get a chance to ogle the roadside prozzies. A thriving trade apparently as German men still like to take part in sex tourism and this is nearer than Thailand. You will be amazed how little some of these girls wear.

If you want to ask me anything then feel free to do so by PM or email.

If you have the time pop on to Slovakia to the Tatra's if you like mountains. No mountain roads to speak of, but the hills are easily accessed (cable car to Lomity Stit - NOT spelt correctly - is superb, but arrive early to ensure place). Slovakia is also the poorer relative if cost an issue. Haven't been for few years, but only happy memories of all the countries in the area, no probs.

Compared to Czech, Slovakia is a vastly different country. They actually have a lot of differences in the language and don’t have the awful “rolled r” that they have in Czech!

The Slovak Crown started to sink against the Czech Crown almost immediately after separation in 1991. I think it’s got down to about 1.30ks to 1.00kc and you will have to change money crossing the border especially if you go deeper into Slovakia.

The Tatra’s around Liptovsky Mikulas are quite reasonable for a walk and there are campsites on the road up to Jasna and the local highpoint of Chopok. Stayed there a few years back and the scenery is nice. I expect the Slovaks have added a few discos by now!

Back
Top Bottom