Suggestions for a nice route please

Shep

Shep of the Dessert
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On my last visit to Scotland (to Skye) a route was suggested and it turned out to be fantastic.

So this time i'm gonna try again and see what you come up with.

Retraints are:

I finish work in Basingstoke 1700 Thursday 19th, then i will do 3-4 hours which will probably get me just north of Preston. I'll try and find a campsite or digs (if its raining) then i'm in your hands. I'll aim to hit the road by 0830 friday

I'd like to get the Glen Clova by 1500-1600 ish on the 20th.

Any suggestions for a nice route?

Shep

Try picking up the A7 to Langholm then head over onto the A708 via the Eskdalemuir road (B709), head north into Scotland via the A7 again or pick up the A68 or A697 Coldstream road up to Edinburgh, cross into Fife and pick up the Fife Coastal Route just north of the Forth Road Bridge. This is a tourist trail but is generally fairly quiet. It goes through Aberdour, Kirkcaldy, Leven, Anstruther and St Andrews. It's a cracking wee run through the East Nuek of Fife. Then head over the Tay Road Bridge into Dundee and head north out the Coupar Angus/Alyth road picking up the B954 to Meigle and then head over the A94 to pick up the Kirriemuir road at Glamis Castle.

Just a suggestion...

:thumb2

up A6 out of Preston, through Lancaster , Kendal ( if you want A roads but m way to J39 M6 Shap is an option as it does take time on A6) , through Penrith on A6 up to J42 roundabout, take B road to Wetheral then on to Warwick Bridge, turn right onto A69, at big roundabout follow sings for Brampton, turn right then left thro brampton heading Longtown A6071 where you'll turn right and join the A7.

Personaly I prefer the old A74 (B7606) for going north, its quieter and almost as scenic, if you want this option go through Longtown and then turn left for gretna A6071, after about 2 miles the road will fork, take the right hand one onto B7606 and follow this up to Kirkpatrick Fleming then Lockerbie then on to Beattock and then head towards Abington where you can pick up the edinburgh road A702 which is busy though, as an option you can take a right just after leaving Beattock onto B709 which takes you south but gets you onto the Moffat A701 road north to Edinburgh.

I tend to keep going straight on past Abington though, take the B7608 north at the services and join the M74 at Lesmaghow then through Glasgow or round to Callendar as I've yet to find a way that doesn't involve towns and traffic so the M8 just gets a few miles over with, tend to avoid Edinburgh bypass not sure why but I find the west route more enjoyable.

you can also head north on east side of countrly and go through Yorkshire then on to Barnard Castle, Middleton in Teesdale, Alston, Brampton and do the bit above starting Brampton heading towards Longtown on A6071.

Back
Top Bottom