Are they any good, 640 Adventure

DaveGSCymro

Reaction score
Conwy Valley, north Wales. Best place in the world
Thinking about getting rid of my 1150gs and buying a caravan and a 640 adventure. Don't need any advice about the caravan
rolleyes.gif

But what about the 640
confused.gif

How good are they for a trip European trip to include offroad bits? How reliable are they? Do they have a lot of vibes? Is there anything to look out for?

Thinking of spending about £3,000.

Thanks upfront for any help.
biggrin.gif

I Have 2007 640 ADV bought it brand new in Feb...one of the very last left as they are not making them anymore!

When I first got it the vibes were pretty major and I thought maybe this was a mistake! Once the bike was run in it started to get better and better, now I have the Akra can on it, it is better still. The motor still has vibes but more pronounced I think at lower revs, but even this has been a major improvement with the Akra can and associated air box and vents allowing it to breath and rev easier. Lower gearing would help if you don't mind the loss in cruising speed.

I have just got back from a 1000+ trip down and around Normandy and the bike was excellent..doing it all again in July and riding down to the Pyrenees for the HUMM so I feel it does the distance work quite well.

Off road in France I think the suspension was better than on any of my KTM EXC's I had for trail riding, It is very soft out the crate but I have uprated mine to cope with the luggage...generally it is regarded that they need stiffer springs anyway, PITA job to do on the rear as well.

The engines are pretty long in the tooth now but pretty strong and still well supported with spares. Like anything servicing is always important. The biggest problem with them is the seat height...very tall. I have lowered mine and reduced the seat height to allow the use of an airhawk and its still F...ing tall. I have dropped mine once because of this and will think about what to do next after I have done the HUMM.

Generally the bikes seem to be kept by their owners and few seem to come up for sale, when they do they seem to still get good money, even more so now they have stopped making them.

Mine getting loaded for Normandy
IMG_0248-1.jpg

Cheers

Adie

I'm Delighted With Mine

I don't think you'll find a better bike that'll do everything.
web.jpg

I've taken mine to France twice now, the second time in January to the Les Marmottes rally which is held in the Alps.

I've also done a bit of off roading on mine and it's great and very easy to use.
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I'm also currently getting man and machine ready to go off roading in Morocco for October
web.jpg

If you're lucky enough to find a good one you shouldn't hang around buying it, my local KTM dealer can turn them around in about 3 days. They took one in on Wednesday a couple of weeks ago, sold it over the phone on Thursday and it was collected on the Saturday. They're a great bike to ride and to own.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for all the replies, looks like they are capable enough, the only snag is what I will get for my money

I have found this ad but I fear it might have had a hard time by the stickers on it.

Need to find one to have a go and if I like it sell the GS. :thumb

Mate drove one down to Morocco and didn't complain. Viby but all big thumpers are. Matched by DRZ on the motorway e.g 60mpg. Superb machine, would have had one over the Dakar because of the weight difference. The only thumper with proper suspension out-the-box.

Nobody sells them after buying them. Can't think why.

690 Adventure will be even better ... if they make it. :thumb2

Mate drove one down to Morocco and didn't complain. Viby but all big thumpers are. Matched by DRZ on the motorway e.g 60mpg. Superb machine, would have had one over the Dakar because of the weight difference. The only thumper with proper suspension out-the-box.

Nobody sells them after buying them. Can't think why.

690 Adventure will be even better ... if they make it. :thumb2

I hate to think what would happen to a poor 640/690 Adv if you got hold hold of one:eek::eek:

With KTM's servicing intervals and your mechanical skills and mechanical sympathy, it would end in tears

I hate to think what would happen to a poor 640/690 Adv if you got hold hold of one:eek::eek:

With KTM's servicing intervals and your mechanical skills and mechanical sympathy, it would end in tears

Aye but all of my bikes are working bikes doing 15k a year minimum and are tested. I probably did more maintenance on my 1150 then you have so keep your gob shut. :monkeypiz

:p

Sorry off topic breifly...MarkN is that tent a MSR Hubba Bubba? I am thinking of one as my next tent and if it is interested as to where you got it. Touratack can get hem but Oh just a little ££

cheers

Adie

+1 for 640 Adv, but I'm hardly impartial. If you're tall, get one. It commutes me home, gets me muddy at home, takes me round the world, and grabs attention wherever it goes. Perfect.
2008_04_27_at_10_30_51.sized.jpg

Mine now has 3200 miles and the vibes are all but gone when cruising.

Aye but all of my bikes are working bikes doing 15k a year minimum and are tested. I probably did more maintenance on my 1150 then you have so keep your gob shut. :monkeypiz

:p

Touched a raw nerve.................:augie

You certainly are entertaining:D

I realised you were fishing after I responded (and wished I hadn't). :rolleyes:

The market for small adventure bikes is apparently shrinking hence the Tenere's product supply and according to a KTM dealer (info from Advrider) they are not making it. Also begs the question why they stopped making the 640 a good year before the replacement - not a good strategy if they are selling so well. :nenau

Sorry off topic breifly...MarkN is that tent a MSR Hubba Bubba? I am thinking of one as my next tent and if it is interested as to where you got it. Touratack can get hem but Oh just a little ££

cheers

Adie

Hi Adie,

Yes, it's a Hubba Hubba. I bought it here http://www.cheaptents.com/acatalog/Product_Catalogue_Ultralight_Tents_15.html

It's a lot cheaper (£204) than list and I had it within a couple of weeks of ordering. A good company to deal with:thumb

They also do the "HP" version which is the same except that the inner tent is made from material rather than mesh.

I'm really impressed with it, one pole and 8 pegs and everything is up in about 10 mins.

Cheers

Mark

I have one, but I have dropped the gearing and fitted Michelin Baja's for mainly off road use. With the taller gearing and some more road biased rubber I would be happy to go further afield on it, but I would have to be expecting to do some really challenging off road before it would beat the GS.
IMHO of course.
Mark

I have one, but I have dropped the gearing and fitted Michelin Baja's for mainly off road use. With the taller gearing and some more road biased rubber I would be happy to go further afield on it, but I would have to be expecting to do some really challenging off road before it would beat the GS.
IMHO of course.
Mark

That's the thing about the GS, it's so bloody good at most things, makes it hard to consider selling the think.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom