Tyres for 1200GS

AJT

Sorry to bring this one up again but my bike needs new tyres and, having read the BIKE test last year, a set of Dunlop Trailmax seems to be what I am after. Has anyone used these?

I would prefer a ride-in-out service because I'm not confident enough to take the wheels off etc. Cooper have quoted a silly price compared to what Hunters will do a set of Tourances for (circa £135), but I not sure I want Tourances and Hunters won't take the wheels off!

I can get a set of Trailmax on-line for around £165, which I can live with so does anyone know where (in the north east) I could get these fitted or where I can get a sensible price on a ride-in-out basis?

Help much appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry to bring this one up again but my bike needs new tyres and, having read the BIKE test last year, a set of Dunlop Trailmax seems to be what I am after. Has anyone used these?

I would prefer a ride-in-out service because I'm not confident enough to take the wheels off etc. Cooper have quoted a silly price compared to what Hunters will do a set of Tourances for (circa £135), but I not sure I want Tourances and Hunters won't take the wheels off!

I can get a set of Trailmax on-line for around £165, which I can live with so does anyone know where (in the north east) I could get these fitted or where I can get a sensible price on a ride-in-out basis?

Help much appreciated. Thanks.

Give DIT in Sunderland a call 0191 5489128.

Buy the Tourances(£132 and a great tyre, particularly in the wet) from Hunters, they will fit them for £6 or there abouts each incl balancing. Alternatively I'll help you take them off and, then you can do it yourself in future, Paul Gowland in Allendale will fit them for £5 incl balancing:thumb

The D607 Trailmax`s came as oe on my 12 when I bought it new & I thought they were very good tyres :thumb2 when I came to replace them though there was no VR rated ones about so got some Pilot roads.
I`d go back to them :thumb2.

BTW taking the wheels off is dead simple. If you were shown first you`d go :blast :D If you`re taking the front off use a socket to turn the spindle unscrewing tool round as the toolkit supplied one is a bit crap :D Use a trolly jack under the bash plate to take the wheight off the front of the bike and get it high enough to drop the wheel out.

Hi AJT I have just changed my tyres today.

Strongly recommend Metzeler Tourances (originals) – I have had them on the bike from new and this is the second set which have done over 10,000 miles (the first set I changed last year early at around 9,000 miles as I was going abroad).

As the pics show, the rear was just legal but the front looked good for another 500 + miles - but I changed it at the same time.

Just been to Barcelona – bike loaded with vario panniers + Givi Maxia top-box + tank-bag and at times doing fast stretches at 120mph, but mostly around the 85mph – bike felt stable throughout. I ride all year and have found the level of grip to be good & predictable.

People I know who have them fitted are happy and stick with them too

Attachments

• Old Front.JPG
    Old Front.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Old Front 2.JPG
    Old Front 2.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 260
  • Old Rear.JPG
    Old Rear.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Old Rear2.JPG
    Old Rear2.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 245
Cestria Tyres in Chester Le Street are excelent. He has removed and refitted wheels on my F650 and his prices are very reasonable. All round nice bloke too.

Thanks to everyone who gave helpful comments and advice. DIT in Sunderland have supplied and fitted a new set of Trailmax for £200 and I am now back on the road. Can't wait to get them scrubbed and see how they perform compared to what was on previously - BT020's, which looked stupid on the GS but were great tyres and performed exactly how they were described in the BIKE review last year.

I was seriously tempted by the Tourances, particularly by the price, but after being completely anal and reading all the info I could, my conclusion was that Trailmaxes are slightly more road biased and better than Tourances in the dry. As I'm only a fair weather rider, already used to BT020's on the bike and will rarely take it off-road, this was the reason for my choice.

I would also recommend DIT in Sunderland. It's just a shame that they won't touch the ABS brake system on the GS but they can probably do eveything else.

Thanks again.

.....slightly south of you guys......

Scarborough/Malton/York/Bridlington etc......Will need a set of Tourances soon (OE and just perfect).......Need ride in ride out.......Any recommendations on where to buy and get fitted ?

Cheers......:)

.....slightly south of you guys......

Scarborough/Malton/York/Bridlington etc......Will need a set of Tourances soon (OE and just perfect).......Need ride in ride out.......Any recommendations on where to buy and get fitted ?

Cheers......:)

I think they are £135 per pair at Hunters in Newcastle right now, take your tools as I think they only fit to loose wheels.

got one set of tourances off alan hunter last month. he told me he had another 10 sets ordered which will be the same price £135 which he was expecting in for august, after they are gone he does not know what price they will be. you have to take the wheels into him as he does not do a ride in service

Back
Top Bottom