driver lincence abroad

Mesikäpp

Hi!

My son (18) wants to have the driving licence for motorbikes.
It costs 1200 to 1500 Euro or more in Germany. Too much for him.

How much is it to get a licence in the UK, in Ireland.
France, Spain, Estonia or where ever you are living.

The idea is, to go there for vacation, to have a good time, make the licence
and save a lot of money

Gunter

I think that it is possible for your son to take and pass his test here but it will probably involve more expense, not to mention hassle to do so.

To start with, he will need to apply for a UK Provisional licence. That will entail submitting photographs that must be certificated as a true likeness, he will need a UK postal address for the licence to be delivered to and to show that he is resident (however temporarily) in the UK.

Then he will have to apply for a training course and a test.

I cannot believe that the cost is going to be less than it would be at home.

from involvement in rider training studies across Europe i am suprised this question doesn't come up more often, as costs from one country to another vary immensely.

Ireland used to be a viable option - not anymore though.

MikeP is absolutely correct - and i would have thought the U.K. was the best option - if there is one worth considering at all :nenau

if a contact in Austria is any use - send me a P.M. - i know a gentleman with a training school there.
Good Luck

i think you maybe best advised, cost wise, to look towards the new EU member states as all the older EU member (ie Ireland) states have been bringing their driving test requirements into line with the more established countries, ie Germany...

Poland, Romania..etc might be handy, but check that the licence is transferable to a full EU member state

Goodluck and let us know what ensues:thumb

i think you maybe best advised, cost wise, to look towards the new EU member states as all the older EU member (ie Ireland) states have been bringing their driving test requirements into line with the more established countries, ie Germany...

Poland, Romania..etc might be handy, but check that the licence is transferable to a full EU member state

If you take the test in Poland the theory will be in Polish (with no translation) so take a language course as well.

If you take the test in Poland the theory will be in Polish (with no translation) so take a language course as well.

Not necessary to learn Polish. They offer courses in German there to get the licence for the car. It is about 1100 Euro for the licence, the courses, German books and accomodation ..... The theoretical lessons are in German too. But just for cars. Most of the Germans who try to get the driver licence in Poland lost their licence in Germany by driving with alc :beer:or they failed the test several times.:blast But it is not legal anyway. :eek:

To make the licence in a foreign country you have to live there for 185 day minimum. And: just one licence for a person in the EU. It doesn't matter from which EU country it is.

Gunter

Good luck with learning on a bike in either of these countries, the roads are horendous (good off road training required) and Roumanian drivers are accidents looking for somewhere to happen!.
dave (Abba fan) GS.

The best advice I think is to take test here and gain cat A1 licence, this is on a 125cc bike, so save any cost later on Direct Access. :clap

Do it soon though as the test changes on 29th September 2008
After two years you're (or he's) away and can ride a BMW of any kind (K1200S preferred) :thumb

If you (he) wants to take his test in another country it could end up being messy, I don't know what the rules are there re any restrictions.

have a look at :type www.shires-motorcycle-training.co.uk, they are Leicester based and very good. I know I used to work for them.

Advice is free and they are all very friendly. 0116 2518999 and tell them Parky put you in touch.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom