Am I completely screwed?

jolyon_russ

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have been enjoying the first week of my GS, but it's not been without it's drama.

The first involved bouncing off someone's bumper followed by a very slow drop :mad:

The second was another drop, completely of my own making, stalled pulling away from a junction :spitfire

The damage from the drops has been light:

DSC01192.JPG

I've already phoned to get a replacement lever put aside for when it gets it's first service.

So, anyway onto the reason for the title, the drops have kept reminding me to fit the sodding Givi engine bars that have been sitting on my lounge floor since last weekend. So tonight, I swang by Halfords to pick up some thread-lock and while the light was still good I figured I'd fit them.

All was going well until...

DSC01202.JPG

I'd fitted all the bolts loosely, was going round to do a final tighten and pop! :tears I didn't turn it that hard at all! The thread on the front left hole has sheered off, the bars came with a comp slip from BykeBitz saying to use thread-lock, but it appears to have stuck a little too strong.

Am I completely screwed?

I popped one of the longer bolts in, to see if there was more thread in there - it felt like there was, but the light was fading and didn't have time to take the whole thing back off to fully inspect.

Will I be able to pick up a longer bolt at Halfords?

Can I sue Give for a replacement bike?

Jolyon

Ah, I was confused because Tim says the M8x35 needs replacing with an M8x40, the M8x35 is the one that joins the 2 pieces at the front, but it's actually the M8x30 the one used at the bottom-front-left.

Is an M8x40 something a large Halfords would have in stock?

Cheers, Jolyon

:nenau

Would have thought so, but if not the bolts is a standard size s o you only need a bike shop or car dealers or other hardware type shop.

Cheers mm8, I'll do the rounds tomorrow and see who's got something that'll fit.

Frustrating that they're sending out kits with the wrong length of bolt.

Jolyon

Bykebits know about this and are giving Givi some stick (apparently although they haven't come back to me after a week of saying they would). The thread on the right bar at the front doesn't work as it's been powder-coated. I had the same thing happen. Give Bykebits some grief about it and I'll contact them again about mine.

Will do Wildman, but how have you solved the problem? Did you use a longer bolt or just take the bars off?

Jolyon

Will do Wildman, but how have you solved the problem? Did you use a longer bolt or just take the bars off?

Jolyon

40mm M6 with a nut worked.

Actually, they don't fit with my Adventure-Spec bash plate so I'm not using them.

Ok, now I'm really confused.

My bolt, the one that went pop doesn't need a nut! It's one of the ones that goes into the engine, pic below:

IMG_1798e.jpg

I've been to Halfords and bought some M8x40's, just about to pop out and see what can be done.

There will be a strongly worded email, with pictures, heading to BykeBitz and Givi before the day is out. I may demand a refund and get the SW-Motech ones instead.

Jolyon

The M8x40 fitted much better, the rain has broken here so I'm going to go and put some more miles on.

Jolyon

Ok, now I'm really confused.

My bolt, the one that went pop doesn't need a nut! It's one of the ones that goes into the engine, pic below:

I've been to Halfords and bought some M8x40's, just about to pop out and see what can be done.

There will be a strongly worded email, with pictures, heading to BykeBitz and Givi before the day is out. I may demand a refund and get the SW-Motech ones instead.

Jolyon

Sorry, Jolyon. I misunderstood. The bolt that went on mine was the one at the very front that joins the two sides together.

Stop all this nonsense

IF I had had these Givi bars fitted when my 800 stalled and went over I would not have had to wait 4 weeks for repairs; I suggest that you ignore all the nonsense and get on and fit them ASAP!

If the thread is stripped in the casing, you can always get it helicoiled to fix the problem if a longer bolt doesn't do the job :thumb

It might be worth gently running a tap into the bolt hole in case the thread has been damaged and it will also clear any crap out of it.

Best of luck, shit like this happens to the best of us, sometimes on what starts off as the most trivial jobs - it's all part of the learning curve:thumb

Ah, I was confused because Tim says the M8x35 needs replacing with an M8x40, the M8x35 is the one that joins the 2 pieces at the front, but it's actually the M8x30 the one used at the bottom-front-left.

Is an M8x40 something a large Halfords would have in stock?

Cheers, Jolyon
Sorry, I should have written that it's the M8x30 (the one you indentified that goes into the left-hand side of the engine) that was too short. I've now corrected the post.

I also thought I had stripped the thread as initially the M8x30 started to bite, then came loose again. Fortunately I had already read on another post (which I now can't find) that one of the bolts might be too short so didn't have to face the sarcasm from trolls. :)

Tim

No worries Tim, a simple mistake, I had the same experience, a little bite, then pop.

Have you been in contact with Givi or the dealer you bought them from? BykeBitz? Mine arrived from BykeBitz with a compliment slip saying to use thread-lock, you would have thought if they knew they needed threadlock they also knew one of the bolts is too short.

Jolyon

The damage from the drops has been light:

DSC01192.JPG

Jolyon

I dropped mine the other way and broke off the end of the clutch lever. Williams in Manchester say that the stock should be in by next week as Neither the UK or Germany had any spare clutch levers. If they cant get it to me in time I will but one of those adjustable ones. :bounce1

I got mine from BikeBitz but didn't go back to them as I think someone else has already done that. I didn't get a note about threadlock...

Tim

I didn't get a note either saying about Threadlock but I think I will just check them for tightness every now and then (never know when you might need to get them of )
doesn't metal and aluminium have a chemical reaction after a bit and weld together ????

Back
Top Bottom