norway, when? and indeed, where?

cookie

Stay Frosty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
any particular time of year recommended for visiting norway? i here there's something of a midge season, which might be better avoided for instanc.

not planning on going too far north, not planned much really :eek: any suggestions welcome.

Cookie, you've got to go North to see the Northern Lights. It's possibly my dream motorbike holiday, and one day I'll do it. Head for Andenes, which is meant to be a good place to watch. What an amazing sight they must be.

Here's a good website to start your research ... http://www.northern-lights.no/index.shtml

:thumb2

End of winter to spring is the best time to see the Northern Lights in Norway, followed by Autumn. Further north the better. I went up in March this year - got as far as the artic circle before the conditions got too bad and had to leave the bike in a bush! Still made it to Nordkapp in a 4x4 though AND got to see the Northern Lights - which was completely fantastic - a real 'moment'. March is probably not the best time to ride Norway unless you're a glutton for punishment ( got down to -21 one night, and we were camping :eek: ), although it is extraordinarily beautiful at that time of year and there won't be any midges.

If you aren't bothered about the lights or going too far north then anywhere in the Fjords area from Stavanger up as far as Trondheim, and the mountains inland, is beautiful. Pack your credit card :p

Pluck

Fjords

Not much to go on Cookie - and plenty of options. A classic - not going to long would be the ferry to Stavanger or Bergen and then continue north making your way along and across the fjords up to about Åndalsnes then more inland to Dombås and then southwestward and back. Summer time is nice, but so is fall. The wx on the westcoast can be wet - so I would check the forcast and possibly do it the other way around if that looks like better timing;)

Went to North Cape last July - 2 weeks steady riding return journey from Bergen. South of Trondheim we got lots of weather. It was generally better further north. (It was when the floods happened last summer). Didn't really have any midge problems, maybe we were just lucky. Lofoten Islands were worth viewing if you do decide to go further north. Be careful, credit cards readers and ATMs mean the police will always have their fine. Used a mix of camping, huts amd hotels. If I did it again I probably would not take a tent as there are camping huts available everywhere.

i'm considering going later this year, maybe september.

fjords and mountains sound nice. looks like a long slog to get to nordcap. not 100% sure why everyone seems to go there, but i do like arctic crab :)

a mixture of camping and hotels sounds good, and the hutt thing means i can not take a tent.
i like camping, but i'm beginning to realise that the enjoyment of riding great roads is spoiled by loading the bike with the kitchen sink.

Going over the glacier park roads in central southern Norway round Lillehammer and the road from Lom towards Bergen we were passing patches of snow that were big enough and frequent enough to start to wonder about ice in shaded areas of the road. That was in July. I don't know what it would be like in September.

Must get around to posting some pics

northern lights. a thing i neeeeed to see before i die,,, next year, im off , whether anyone else comes or not

Wx

Going over the glacier park roads in central southern Norway round Lillehammer and the road from Lom towards Bergen we were passing patches of snow that were big enough and frequent enough to start to wonder about ice in shaded areas of the road. That was in July. I don't know what it would be like in September.

Must get around to posting some pics

Wx wise you should allways keep in mind the possibility of snow (and although even less likely freezing rain) in the valleys and up in the mountains. Most likely not a problem in early September, but you are pushing it if you try later in the fall - also more likely that the roads would stay white for some time... :rob But normally no problem along the coast and fjords until November. (Living in Stavanger for some years I usually drive all year around, but a few weeks and some odd days).

Gerbing, or the like, highly recommended if you decide to do a trip. It is really on top of my list - it is just what is needed to stay comfortable even if you end up having to ride long days and the wx turns less than optimal, like cold or even wet and cold:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom