HUNGARY

D6

Reaction score
will be in hungary in a few weeks, whats there?:nenau

Hungary

Budapest is attractive and I found the people friendly.

Motorway was boring but once I got on the 'A' roads it was a lot more fun.

Simon

High temperatures, long straight roads, foolish drivers and a cash hungry speeding policy. Almost like good old Blighty then.

its colder here , but yes,like england then:augie enroute to romania from austria, any good stop overs?:D

its colder here , but yes,like england then:augie enroute to romania from austria, any good stop overs?:D

Can recommend Eger.
It's a lovely town in the wine growing area of Hungary and not an awfull big detour off the motorway if your just passing through.

I stayed at the out of town IBIS and took the underground into the centre of town. Good option if you don't want the hassle of navigating in a mad city. The tourist sites can be done in a day .. that's what i did :D

Buda is prettier than Pest.

Jeez.... the poor guys wants some travel info not catering suggestions !! :rolleyes:

If you cross the border from Austria (near Vienna) don't just sit on the motorway - head north a just few kilometers and pick up the south side of the river Danube. You can cross it into Slovakia but the south side is pretty - the north cust close to Bratislava and get's busier. There's lots of lovely places along the banks of the river and if you fancy off-roading there are some great trails that cut in and out of the route the river follows. Keep the river on your left and just keep riding.

As you follow the Danube south east that whole area of countryside is beautiful. It's quite a rich area and lot's of Austrians have their holiday homes there. There is a castle you can stay at in the village of Hedervar (GPS N47 49.919 E17 27.314) nice to stay one night , not especially cheap but a lovely location and fun place to spend a night. (http://www.kastelyszalloda.hu/english/)
Head out from there to GYOR (N47 40.840 E17 38.972) - it's an historic town with defensive walls and turrets and you will enjoy wandering the streets looking at all the little shops and cafes. (Shops close at lunchtime on Saturday) .
As said by someone else - Budapest is worth a visit but it's a big and busy city so I'd be more inclined to explore the countryside and follwo the Danube - you'll have a fine trip.:thumb2

If in Budapest I can highly recommend http://www.bikercamp.hu/camping/bikercamp_EN/index.html

I can also recommend crossing Hungary as quickly as possible to get to the far more interesting and friendly Romania:D or Serbia for that matter:thumb

Seriously though, if you stay at BikerCamp ask Zsuzsanna how to get to the castle on the way North East to the Slovakian border. Can't remember what it is called but combined with the village bellow it is well worth a visit.

Have fun:thumb2

If I were you I would do Budapest then take road number 5 ,not the motorway, as far as Kecskemet, which is in my opinion worth a couple of hours if you would like to get the feel of a provincial town, back on road 5 and head for the border at Szeged with all the trucks and buses etc.
Alternatively, you could hook off road 5 on to the 451 from Kiskunfelegyhaza to Szentes, the 45 for a few km's and then turn to Oroshaza on some fun little back roads and from there to Totkomlos and finally to Battonya which is a smaller border crossing but much less busy and nearer to Arad to boot. If you are camping this would definately be the option for me. The people are generally all friendly but maybe it would be tricky to find English speakers out in the sticks...
It all depends on how much time you want to give to this part of the trip as the Battonya route is probably going to take a bit longer but be a bit more interesting in a "once in a lifetime is enough" kind of way. Do you plan on exploring some of Hungarys vast network of rutted sandy tracks which turn into slick mud at the first rain......? or just the rutted asphalt tracks which turn slick at the first sign of rain....?
The most attractive parts of Hungary are where you see contours on any map, you know up North a bit or near the Balaton etc. From Budapest going South is what is known as the Great Plain and by golly it is flat. Either way it will be fun to read your ride report.

Last edited:
the castle/village well worth a visit is Holloko. A world heritage site if I remember correctly.

Avoid the crossing at Szeged or any other major crossing like the plague, much quicker, more fun and easier the smaller the crossing:thumb just double check that it is a crossing open to all and not just a local one, although this shouldn't be an issue with both Hu and Ro being EU states now.

Aplogies for hijacking the thread - how far from the centre of the city is this camp site?

10 to 15 minutes walking or a 2 minute tram/train ride, tis both a camp site and B&B although there is limited B&B space so book early. As far as being a camp site it is really just a large back garden but with an honesty bar, good food and more often than not a fair selection of fellow travellers from all over the globe:thumb

Zsolt, the guy who started Bikercamp many years ago, was a lifelong biker, champion off roader and a thoroughly nice guy ( http://www.bikercamp.hu/camping/bikercamp_EN/index.html ). Despite his recent death his wife and daughter keep the camp going in the way Zsolt would have wanted. It really is a little bikers oasis in the midst of Eastern Europe:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom