The Zumo, as a GPS why is it better?

So...
Don't want MP3
Don't need Blue tooth....

Can someone tell me why is it so good compared to a quest or GPS60CSX

Remember the Don't wants before replying...

It isn't PERIOD.

It IS better than any other Streetpilot I've used but on the GPS side it doen't hold a candle to a proper GPS which is why I still own and use my GPSMap 60CS.

But I DID want Bluetooth, I DID want the phone connectivity, I didn't feel I needed the MP3 player as I had the iPod but shortly I will be keeping the iPod for off-bike activity and using the built-in MP£ player as I don't like the disconnect between the Autocom/Zumo/iPod and the aggravation of making it all work.

If I didn't want all that then I would have upgraded my 60CS to a CSX or if I felt I needed a bigger screen then a 276/376c but we're talking big telephone numbers for these :yikes

GPS 60C** doesn't have a way to pipe the beeps into helmet speakers. This can be an issue if you are not paying attention to the GPS all the time...

(I used to think to myself... 'turn coming up in a few minutes' (the GPS tells you and counts down)... then 'damn... missed that turn'... )

Till I bought a Colorado and gave my Dad my 60C, I took my 2820 (all singing all dancing GPS) off for Morocco and off-road stuff... didn't figure I needed the voice for that, and didn't want to wreck it in a crash... I plan to mount my Colorado for similar excursions.

Never owned a Quest, but my Friend's seemed to have a lesser build quality than I like... His antenna quit working off warantee and he needed to buy an external one to keep it working... YMMV.

Not sure about Speed Camera Database on the Quest (proximity alerts) but they sure are a handy reason to buy a 'better' GPS. (as you approach a speed camera the GPS beeps at you (every couple seconds depending on how fast you are speeding) if you are speeding... after it beeps once to tell you it's there) My 60C didn't have one.. not sure about the X.

But if you just want to have a map with you to check on your location once in a while... a 'lesser' GPS works fine... And if you pay attention to the thing, you don't need voice in your helmet, but you won't hear the beeps in the wind.

It's in the higher functions that the costs start to mount.. (larger screen, proximity alerts, tour guide ability, brighter screen suitable for motor use, remote control... I use my 2820's remote mounted in my hand protectors... allows me to change zoom easily)

Al...

So...
Don't want MP3
Don't need Blue tooth....

Can someone tell me why is it so good compared to a quest or GPS60CSX

Remember the Don't wants before replying...

Oi there was no Quest there when I answered this :spitfire

Quest is a poor man's Streetpilot - only thing going for it is internal battery.

(that should get the Quest owners going :D)

Yes there was, I did not edit my post. On top of that I sold the quest and kept the 60:thumb

Does the 60 allow you to map several points and plan a route for all of them, or is A --> B only?

I've toyed a lot recently about moving from the Quest to a Zumo but having read reviews on this site and elsewhere, the hardy, reliable Quest is staying. It's lasted 4yrs, got me around darkest Connemara to snowy Switzerland to laps of the Ring and was very impressed that it will take me from London to Algeciras for the Morocco Dash. It's a bargain.

£450 on a GPS? I can think of other things I'd rather spend the money on.

Don't want MP3 or Bluetooth connectivity for my phone as I don't like music or being disturbed whilst riding. If I want to make a phone call I'll pull over for a rest/stretch and use the mobile then.

Replaced my Quest (great bit of kit but with a few limitations - mapping memory and no proximity alerts) with a used StreetPilot 2720 for £150 off eBay. Sold the Quest a couple of weeks ago for £139 having held onto it for over a year as a backup but never used it. Admittedly I had to buy a cradle for the 2720 and the Quest went complete with Garmin powered cradle, mapping updates and even wired helmet audio. However, I've stuck with 2nd hand kit and still have a very usable GPS set-up for a small outlay. Would I like a Zumo, sure, but I wouldn't want to pay over the odds for something I'm not going to make use of. The 2720 does everything I need in a sat nav.

The 2720 came quite cheap considering I bought it over a year ago because it was a US import, this creates problems as you can't replace the pre installed Nth American mapping with full European mapping meaning you can only load about half of Europe at a time. Well that was until a month or so ago when I found out how to do it.

The 2720 came quite cheap considering I bought it over a year ago because it was a US import, this creates problems as you can't replace the pre installed Nth American mapping with full European mapping meaning you can only load about half of Europe at a time. Well that was until a month or so ago when I found out how to do it.

Is there already a thread telling us how to do this os it it still pending?

I used to have a quest, now i have a zumo 400 wich has no bells and whistles.

Zumo= bigger screen, more functions, uses NT mapping, Postcode Search, SD Slot for all the maps you ever need.
Quest= Smaller and handier... thats it.... Tiny memory. Cheaper.

There isnt really a comparison, they are of diferent generations. I was lucky, i grabbed mine for 50 quid and it hasnt missed a beat. Its been abused and morocco'd. Ive also seen one come of a bike infront at about 70mph and get ran over by the GS in front of me. It turned back on and worked first time, minus a few plastic panels. Im sure the quest would have lost its flip up aerial at least.

The Quest does everything you need it to do as a GPS......ffs, proximity alerts, LEARN TO WATCH THE ROAD!!!

I regularly use my Quest 1 to go all around the UK picking up bikes then following a route down to southern Spain.....then I use it for off-road navigation all around Morocco, all without reloading maps.

Admittedly I use a Rino 520HCX as well but that's primarily for the talkie walkie functions and to give me two zoom levels at the same time, but I could do it all (bar the radio comms) on the Quest alone.

For £80 from Ebay, I can't see that anyone needs anything else, unless they're fashion victims who can't do without the latest gadgets and whistles....Mac owners and 1200 jockeys in other words ;)

Quest...does what it says on the box :thumb2

*stands back to watch all the insecure people rushing in to justify their latest expensive purchases* :augie

*stands back to watch all the insecure people rushing in to justify their latest expensive purchases* :augie

Latest? Get hip Grandad, the 550's old news to us technomeisters :thumb2

*sits back knowingly smug but feeling a little sorry for Fanny's ignorance on the subject*

Yes Quest is better than anything...except paper maps
Yes eight track tapes are better than anything digital...
Yes a spoon of caster oil is better than any vitamins...

And yes I am fully abreast of all that the modern world has brought to improve my life...

head-in-the-sand.jpg

Latest? Get hip Grandad, the 550's old news to us technomeisters :thumb2

*sits back knowingly smug but feeling a little sorry for Fanny's ignorance on the subject*

If you want to be a technomeister, so be it...feel as smug as as you like, who gives a fu*k.

All I want is a unit that works, does what I need it to do and does that as cheaply as possible......I've yet to see a GPS unit that beats the Quest1 for my needs :nenau

Back
Top Bottom