► Radiator top hose failures

Elvie

Just to let you know, while away on our European trip the top hose of the radiator on my 650 came loose twice. On both occasions we spotted it and were able to push it back on before losing much coolant. I mentioned it to the dealer when booking the 6000 mile service & asked them to check it over. He said that although BMW hadn't told them it was an issue he'd heard from the BMW off road school that they'd had a similar problem and were using jubilee clips on some of their bikes to prevent it happening. Just thought it was something to be aware of particularly for those doing long desert off road trips.

Mine popped off on the 800 yesterday. Looking at it closely today, it appears that the curve on the pipe isn't quite right. I haven't had a chance to strip the panels off to see if the rad is properly located in it's floating mounts..... I'll be doing that tomorrow at some stage.

After my commute home tonight, while locking up the bike, I noticed a load of white, dried drips on the right hand engine casing. Having had a nice bath (the bike) on tuesday night this troubled me.

On closer inspection, the top radiator hose was half way off dripping coolant onto the engine.

I have to wait for the bike to cool down a bit to see if I can squeeze it back on again.

What with that hose thing and the dodgy chain at 2.5k miles I am in a bad mood with the bumblebee tonight :spitfire

The hose would appear to be about 5mm shorter than it should be :(

On the plus side, it' not a clapped-out antique of an 1150 :augie

When I did my DAS with BMW in Wales, 2 of the 650`s did exactly the same.

I'm leaving for the Pyrenees tomorrow night, so have purchased a jubilee clip of the correct size just in case.

Why wait? Mine had a rather late 6000 mile service yesterday and the dealer had a look at it and returned it to me like this.

2701722922_ca6ea7df1e.jpg

It's not pretty but should do the job with both clips attached. As I said before BMW haven't acknowledged its a problem. What a stupid little thing for them to have got wrong!

Same as Micky.... top rad hose is less than a good fit. Think I'll post a photo and a poll later.

Looking closely, the top hose, and the bottom one for that matter, were not pushed up to the lugs on the water pump, so the spring clamp was sat on the bump at the edge of the lug... if you know what I mean. When I checked the lower hose I could not feel the end of the water pump 'stub' :eek:

Having now pushed both hoses on as far as they will go ie that extra 1/8" the water pump lug can be felt and thus the spring clamp is totally effective.... I hope ;)

I've just quickly cobbled this up.... hope it explains

UPDATE:

Didn't work... started to come off again :eek:

Jubilee clip now in place... seems sorted :thumb

:beerjug:

Attachments

• Hoses F650-800GS's.jpg
    Hoses F650-800GS's.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 3,145
It's my turn now. Thanks to the headsup here, I've been keeping an eye on it and today spotted the hose trying to work its way loose but hadn't yet started to leak. So pushed it back in and appears to be a couple of mm short. Might have to take the bodywork off to push the hose all the way in. I'm going to be getting a Jubilee clip to fix this. Anyone can tell me what size of clip you've used? :)

It's my turn now. Thanks to the headsup here, I've been keeping an eye on it and today spotted the hose trying to work its way loose but hadn't yet started to leak. So pushed it back in and appears to be a couple of mm short. Might have to take the bodywork off to push the hose all the way in. I'm going to be getting a Jubilee clip to fix this. Anyone can tell me what size of clip you've used? :)

Yeah same here. Again. tut.

Mine's been in for a coolant leak from the top hose. It's returned sporting a natty jubilee clip while SBW Hertford await a new part (slightly longer hose perhaps?) to fit to the bike. A 'known fault' apparently.

Well they appear to have done something about this now, i'll report back when i've had my new improved hose fitted.

Jason.

maybe already changed over at factory...

On the F650GS I test drove last wkend I inspected the rad. hoses carefully and they seemed to be the ideal length and clamps just in a bit from the end of the hose, so they were well back from the ridge on the outside of the fittings.

Perhaps new longer hoses are already in use at the factory?:nenau

Jim

Hose connections using clamps.... 1

A hose clamp MUST be fitted as close to the "wet end" of the fitting as possible. This will prevent the fluid from migrating between the fitting & the hose, reducing joint tensile strength by separation/distortion & lubrication.

For added security two hose clamps may be used, one at the "dry end" of the fitting to prevent the ingress of contaminants ( oxidants, water, cleaning agents) which may also reduce the tensile strength..... :beerjug:

Alimey:

Yeah, what you said ;)

I could not find the thread before, but through the mirical of IE "history" log... I have now:

Take a look at the picture about 1/2 way down this page....

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154536

What I was trying to say was that the F650GS I test drove had the clamp applied as in the bottom picture ... and that the hose extended all the way to the "stop".

Jim

Jim, I have looked at the picture & the statement "spring clamp none effective" ( top picture) I respectfully disagree with. It is imperative that the liquid pressure doesn't separate (swell) the hose from the "barb" or retaining ring. As I said, the tensile strength of the union may be improved with a secondary clamp. Putting more hose in contact with the fitting also increases it's tensile strength.

A more secure fitting would be a "formed" crimped ferrule that supports the fitting length of the hose & wraps around the "barb". Sadly the factory connection would seem to be substandard, IE inexpensive...

I didn't mean to imply that I thought the bottom picture had things all sorted, only that I think the setup in the bottom picture is "preferred" to the upper picture.

I do agree that we have a substandard situation, I only meant that, IMHO, the bike I saw was "less" substandard in that it was not buggered as badly as what the top diagram showed :eek:

Jim

seams to me that the hoses are a little too short and therfore under tension
unless they are having to do what the cars had to with the presuerised system to meet the emitions regs and the regular clups cant cope with the presure:rob

Had my 800GS in for the EWS recall today . I never mentioned the hose problem and they never fitted a 2nd clip on the top hose. If you look at it closely (on the 800 at least) the hose is not too short and under tension.As a matter of fact there is a bend where it goes behind the plastics and (on mine at least) the ends butt up against the stops on the pump and rad joins.

Mine hasnt leaked yet and shows no sign of it but i haven't done the mileage some others have.

The hose has been working it's way loose again so I finally fitted a jubilee clip just like Elvie's and that seems to work :thumb
It appears that there is quite a bit of pressure inside the upper hose causing it to want to pop its way out and the standard clip hasn't quite got the strength to hold the hose in place. I can see the hose swelling up a bit between the engine and radiator. Maybe the hose wall is too thin and needs a thicker wall if the standard hose clamps are to work.

Yesterday I was on my way back from London and got showered with coolant. The top hose had just about come off. I was amazed at how flexible the side wall of the hose is and it seems the hose is too short.

Due to the sheer volume of traffic it was too dangerous for me to fix on the side of the M25, I didn't want a truck driver to get target fixation! So I called BMW Assist at 1820. Then again at 1940. Eventually a recovery can turned up at 2025 and transported me and the bike to Eastbourne.

Now I need to call BMW Assist again and get the bike up to Coopers. When it's fixed I'll have to cadge a lift to go and pick it up again.

Tim

Eeek :eek: Hmmm one more clip to get...
Did yours come off at the engine end or the rad end?

It came off at the engine end, exactly where the silver jubilee clip is in Elvie's pic.

Tim

i've had all the sodding hoses come undone. my leg has had more coolant running down it than i care to imagine...in fact, my lower leg is a permanent blue colour right now. anyway, the 'top-hose' seems to be staying intact, but the little one below it in elvie's picture has been the main culprit, so i've stuck a jubilee clip on, which'll only come off when all hell freezes over!!!

Back
Top Bottom