Hand Guards and Head Guards.

Joe Bar

Too old to die young.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Finally got round to sorting the hand guards and head guards on the MM.

I originally ordered the older style 1200GS hand guards, but it seems after a few issues, these have now been superseded and only the newer 2 tone style are being supplied. I also ordered 1200GS bar end weights and fixing bolts.

I removed the bar end plugs from the MM and measured the depth to the fixing inside the bar, and had a mate turn down the stubs on the bar ends to the appropriate amount, which was about 20mm off each side. I din't need to tap down the fixing bolts. That done the fitting was pretty straightforward. Extended top pieces in black are available to replace the standard grey top piece, but they seem pretty ok at the moment, the bonus is the bar end weights have also dampened some of the vibes from the bars as well. :D

cimg4548smallwe2.jpg

cimg4545smallfv0.jpg

Next up was the cylinder head guards, didn't want anything bulky, so went for the standard spec BMW item, but to brighten them up had another mate paint them to match the wheels and frame. I did this with a previous R1100S in yellow and liked the result, and am pleased with how these turned out as well. Might not be everybody's cup of tea, but I like 'em. :D

cimg4543smallab8.jpg

After the screen, handguards, headguards, second accessory plug, pillion footrests, Touratech luggage plate, sat nav mount and bags I thought I was done spending :). Curtis at Pidcock's then kindly pointed out how nice it would look with a carbon air intake, and that the standard one looked a bit cheap and exposed. Now I keep looking at it and thinking he's right :rolleyes:

Like the handguards Joe, got some cheapies on my HP2 at the moment and need to replace them with something decent at some point. If I may ask how much did the hadnguards with fittings set you back?

Like the handguards Joe, got some cheapies on my HP2 at the moment and need to replace them with something decent at some point. If I may ask how much did the hadnguards with fittings set you back?

Sorry, I should have put that info up -

1 x Hand protector set - 716 077 062 09 - £79.50 inc VAT
2 x Balance weight - 327 176 738 46 - £35.60 inc VAT
2 x Fixing Bolt - 327 177 178 02 - £7.50 inc VAT

Not found a carbon intake yet, so if anyone has a link ..............................

HMM, i like the Colour Coded Head Guards,however i've now got the Carbon ones that i ordered.
The Hand Guards look good too but, again, i will be looking to get the Sandbar Carbon ones as the Pre Facelift 1200 GS Handguard Brackets will soon be available again.
Curtis has had the same chat with me ref the Carbon Intake Tube. Reckon he is on a commission ?

Curtis has had the same chat with me ref the Carbon Intake Tube. Reckon he is on a commission ?

Don't think so, as they haven't got any to sell ;). Sandbar sell the Ilmberger stuff and I've already checked the Ilmberger site for one, so no joy there :(.

Next up was the cylinder head guards, didn't want anything bulky, so went for the standard spec BMW item, but to brighten them up had another mate paint them to match the wheels and frame.

Can you give us the Ref of the blue Color ?? :thumb

Can you give us the Ref of the blue Color ?? :thumb

I couldn't get a paint code colour from BMW, so I used paint colour cards to get the closest match. It was a Peugeot solid blue I used in the end, with some fine metallic added.

I can find the code if you want it.

Sorry, I should have put that info up -

1 x Hand protector set - 716 077 062 09 - £79.50 inc VAT
2 x Balance weight - 327 176 738 46 - £35.60 inc VAT
2 x Fixing Bolt - 327 177 178 02 - £7.50 inc VAT

Not found a carbon intake yet, so if anyone has a link ..............................
i got 10% off list BUT he said the kit didnt come with the top part and that i had to order left and right sepparately. They were £20 extra!
He said that if the kit did come with the top parts then he wouldnt charge me tho!

Will find out on friday when i collect them.

ALso there is a MM in Cooper BMW here (3 months old £11599) :eek: and it has FACTORY heated grips.
The salesman told me that that wasnt an option?
Whos kiddin who?

Having ordered 3 sets (one for me and 2 for mates) now, I can tell you the handguards come with the top sections in grey. The larger black top sections are optional and listed seperately.

Having ordered 3 sets (one for me and 2 for mates) now, I can tell you the handguards come with the top sections in grey. The larger black top sections are optional and listed seperately.

Shit, looks like I am getting the larger add ons too then for the £20.
Are they any good do you think? The standard ones look quite high to start with?

These handguards are much more flimsy than the previous ones, but look better and dont jam the front brake on, killing the rider. (the main reason they were changed).

JUst fitted mine.
Ground 20mm off weights and they fit easy.
They look great in the 2 tone, didnt take the higher addons as they look a bit naff especially in black (they were £20 a pair).
The handguards complete cost me £111.

i liked Eka blank version which I copied :

(please note that my son drives a superb Triumph)

dscn5354-deaac9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom