DRZ 400 OR XR 650

Richie3264

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having just sold the GS Im now looking for for something a bit cheaper, Ive got roughy £2k to spend and think I have narrowed it down to either DRZ 400 or XR600/650 ( but open to suggestions)

I havent owned either bikes before so now little of about them other than owners of both really rate their own steeds.

I fancy the electric start of the DRZ but fancy the ooommph of the XR for the road. Saying that Ive found an XR on fleabay that has electric start

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=160265078681&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

although this isnt local, im willing to travel.

locally there are a coupe of DRZs

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...UZUKI&model=DR-Z&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

and

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...UZUKI&model=DR-Z&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

I have read somewhere on this site, ref poor forks on a DRZ of a certain age but cannot find the post to confirm which model or year.:nenau

I cant seem to make my mind up and hope that some of you guys coud pass on some advice to help me decide.

I will be using the bike for going to work (all weathers) some off roading, when I get round to joining the TRF, and general blasts out.

Thanks in advance:beerjug:

Richie

xr/drz

hiya

i've owned both in the last year and they are completely different beasts

the xr is a fire breathing monster and the drz is like a sewing machine in comparison

the xr is a proper race bike and it feels like it from the geometry to the vibrations and the general purposefulness of it all

the drz is gentle, easy, sloppy, slack, happy, easy and fun. The motor is in a very mild state of tune and it is a "ride and forget" machine both in terms of the experience and maintenance

despite what everyone says the xr is reliable but it is a race bike and needs fettling and looking after a bit (although nowhere near as much as a ktm) - kick starting them is real easy and not an issue. Sure, one day you will be on the side off a muddy bank and out of breath and not able to kick start it but you have to admit those occasions are pretty rare

having said all that I did the cambrian rally race on a drz and the red kite rally race on the xr and I possibly enjoyed the drz experience more. I'm not an offroad god but it was very very easy to nail the little drz absolutely everywhere and it was a great laugh. The xr required a fair bit more respect in terms of opening up the throttle coming out of bends when there was a good chance of it spitting you off

they are completely different beasts - i'd probably say get an xr because it is one fabulous sh@t kicking experience to open it up to 100mph on a graded road or get 3rd gear power wheelies without asking for them

if you find it all a bit too much for you then by all means sell it (because there will be another loony waiting to buy it) and then you can get the DRZ - its no disgrace to own a DRZ and I saw Timpos ancient DRZ fly around the Cambrian last year. But you won't tell the grandkids about the day you opened up the throttle on a DRZ and accelerated moderately up to 75mph

cheers

rich

leccy start

oh and that one on ebay doesn't have the leccy start

looks nice though

might put in a bid meeeself :augie

Hi thanks for the quick response Rich,:clap:thumb2

As regards the XR it does mention a key ignition, whats that then as I do note he ony says its kick start and mentions kicking it off in the discription:nenau

The Xr does sound good fun though, and I would like to try the Cambrian and such like.

Richie:beerjug:

Ignition

Most xr's don't have an ignition barrel or key, they don't have a battery, just kick 'em and go. They are pretty much a race bike after all. Anyway kick em and go is exactly what ASBO kids do when they nick 'em. So some people put an ignition unit and key on so that when the local scrotes nick their bike, it takes them an extra 10 seconds to hot wire them before they are off to the local fields :spitfire

But that one on Ebay definately doesn't have electric start. If it did, he would shout about it loud and clear because they cost from 600 quid to over a grand. They fit externally on the left hand side of the engine - the cheap ones make it look as if your engine has mated with a Dalek, the more expensive ones are slightly more discreet

cheers

rich

But you won't tell the grandkids about the day you opened up the throttle on a DRZ and accelerated moderately up to 75mph

cheers

rich

I take it your referring to the "S" model? i owned a "E" type DRZ for about 18 months, it was running the s models gearing, and would almost touch 100 if you kept it pinned long enough. It also had a quiet can fitted to. It never let me down, but in the end i sold it to buy my 1150 :aidan (one of the better decisions i've made)

I'd be inclined to consider the trails that your going to be riding, if your ride outs will have a lot of tarmac work, then get the XR, it will make the tarmac as much fun as the dirt:D, but if your routes are close knit and technical then the DRZ is probably a better bet, especially with the leccy boot.

There are also a few air cooled xr 650's about to (xr650l i believe) , these have the same engine as the honda dominator, same chasis and suspension as the XR, but in a dual sport package, where you have electric boot, decent electrics and much smoother motor, and being air cooled means no radiators to wreck if you bin it. They aren't so much of a fire breather either.....

HTH

nathan

The DRZ might as well not have an ignition barrel either. Five seconds and the bike is away (you just yank on the wires to the barrel, they detach and then twist together. Mine's keyless with a Meta M21T immob.

I have just bought a XR as a dual sport bike (I sold the GS due to lack of use as I am spending all my time riding a 14 year old crappy trail bike). They are Kick start only although as Richeyroo says a kit can be bought. Again as Richeyroo says the e bay bike has a key ignition but does not have an electric start.
They are easy to kick start but if you are new to trail riding it is likely that you will fall off a lot and stall in the most inconvenient of places. Kick starting the XR would therefore become very tiring and soul destroying.
The DRZ S has an electric start and is far more road orientated with proper lights, indicators, etc. but is still very competent off road especially with knobbly tyres and lower gearing.
The DRZE is the enduro version with the electric start. This is an off road bike that has been made barely legal. It has more power than the S but is less suitable for the road.
IMHO I think that the DRZS is ideal for you if you intend to do a lot of road use but is still a very competent bike on trails and loads of fun. Once you are used to trail riding you can then decide if you need anything more exciting or not after all bikes are easy enough to buy and sell.

I have just bought a XR as a dual sport bike.
They are Kick start only.
Kick starting the XR would therefore become very tiring and soul destroying.
The DRZ S has an electric start and is far more road orientated with proper lights, indicators, etc. but is still very competent off road especially with knobbly tyres and lower gearing.
The DRZE is the enduro version with the electric start. This is an off road bike that has been made barely legal. It has more power than the S but is less suitable for the road.
IMHO I think that the DRZS is ideal for you if you intend to do a lot of road use but is still a very competent bike on trails and loads of fun. Once you are used to trail riding you can then decide if you need anything more exciting or not after all bikes are easy enough to buy and sell.

:agree

Timpo.

Thanks guys:beerjug:, I think the DRZ is the way to go, and with that in mind Im off to see a 2001 DRZ with some trick wheels, he wants a buy it now of £1500 With spares

I thought I read some where on here that a certain model had better forks than the previous model, but I cant find the post or thread. Any ideas:confused:

I thought I read some where on here that a certain model had better forks than the previous model, but I cant find the post or thread. Any ideas:confused:

The E had better suspension than the S but, IIRC, the S was uprated to the same spec a few years ago.

Andres

Stay clear of any 'S' before 52 plates. Some 02's will have the new suspension some don't if 2001 model.

Thanks Eddie,
The DRZ looks pretty good, I will watch the bike. Do you have any idea what he thinks it will go for?

Richie:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom