Pacific Coast Highway

Burfcontrol

Reaction score
Starting to think about this/next years holiday. My mate suggested riding Highway 1 from Seattle to san Francisco. So usual list of questions...
Anyone here done it already? Got any tips or advice?
At this stage we're planning on hiring bikes as we expect this to be cheaper/simpler than transporting our own. Any recomendations? Could we hire BMs over there or are we gonna have to go HDs?
I've been told there are good B&B's all the way down the coast so no need to make plans/reservations in advance. What about insurance and medical cover?

Any advice gratefully received.

:beerjug: Jim

I went last year from SF down to San Luis Obispo then various other sceneic bits before coming back up Hwy 1 again as it was so nice. Especially around Monterey and Big Sur. We stayed at Monterey for 3 nights and rode up and down Hwy 1 it was that good.
I was thinking of going to SF this year and going North but a mate wants to come and get until next year.

I contacted a German bloke here who rents GS`s but I got a great deal on a GL1800 from Cruise America here
and although some of the roads were pure GS country I still had bags of laughs on the Wing.

Here`s some pictures of the trip

Did it in 1998 in a k'off big RV, thats a camper van US style to you and me.
Started in Seattle and went up to Vancouver, across to Vancouver Island and then crossed to Northern coast of Washington and followed the coast down to Oregon. Did Portland which is a wonderful city and would recommend Crater Lake/Yosemite. We did SF with 2 young kids and it was crap, but for adults it'd be amazing I'm sure. I think the section Dave Hall did is THE bit of the PCH that people rave about. Once out of the cities, nearly everywhere in Idaho/Oregon/Washington State or California is awesome. How long you off for?
There is a place that was doing VFR800's for 2 weeks for the price of 1, someone on here will no doubt have the web address or a search on the site may prove fruitful (I saw it on the gs site)
Its a big place. Bigger than it appears on the map. Be aware and don't try to do too much.
Dave

Dave Hall said:
I went last year from SF down to San Luis Obispo then various other sceneic bits before coming back up Hwy 1 again as it was so nice.
If you go to San Luis Obispo you have to stay at the Madonna Inn... all bedrooms have different themes... and the men's loos are a tourist attraction in themselves.
Madonna Inn

Dave H -
Great photos, who won the fight for the black Wing? :) Heard lot's of good things about the Monterey area. Checked those links for the bikes, quoting around $100 - $120 per day for 10 days. Any other costs I should be aware of? Insurance etc.

Dave B -
Planning on 2 weeks. Reckoned on 1800 miles, appx 200/day. Sound reasonable? What did you think of Puget Sound? Did you see the Orcas? I managed a boat trip out there last year - awesome!!

Mick -
Looks like a great idea but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be on someone else's bike. Plus I'd be looking for a one way trip, top to bottom.

Dabber -
This place could only happen in America. Looks like it'd need at least 6 pints to get me anywhere near it. :D :beerjug: :D

Burfcontrol said:

Dabber -
This place could only happen in America. Looks like it'd need at least 6 pints to get me anywhere near it. :D :beerjug: :D
Spot on Burfcontrol... only in America! But worth a visit. Stayed there one night before heading across the Mojave to Las Vegas.
btw, if you go in that direction, try and visit Tehachapi and the raiload loop, see the massive trains (multi-engines) stretching for what seems like miles, feel the ground vibrating (oooops missus). I'm not a railway fanatic but this is something else.... again, only in America.

Seattle and the whole Puget Sound area were awesome , as were the cascades/mount st helens, we liked Idaho best. Boise was a cool big town.
Thats away from the PCH tho' I don't think you can go wrong with anywhere round there, we were ther for just shy of 5 weeks so had no fixed route, with 2 weeks i would scour the guide books etc. and plot up on the few places that are must see's. Come to think of it, you need a fortnight htis year and then another next..

Burfcontrol said:
Dave H -
Great photos, who won the fight for the black Wing? :) Heard lot's of good things about the Monterey area. Checked those links for the bikes, quoting around $100 - $120 per day for 10 days. Any other costs I should be aware of? Insurance etc.

Me..........yellow does`nt go with my complexion.
I cant remeber any hidden costs with Cruise America it was all in with recovery etc. All in all it was a great deal. I seem to remember that if the bike got nicked or written off with no fault on my part then my liability was zero.

Re: Thanks guys

Burfcontrol said:
Great feedback.

Now looks like I will need more than 2 weeks or do more than one trip as suggested.

:thumb :D :beerjug:

Cheers Jim

Jim,

You should join me. I am hoping do a 2 to 3 month visit to the area as soon as i have sold my house.

Starting Seattle, do a bit of British Columbia then Oregon ( Mt St Helens ), PCH etc, Yosemite NP ( Fab), San Fran, Big Sur , LA , Vegas, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Lake Powell, Arches NP, Denver, up through Nebraska to South Dakota, The Blackhills and Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Yellowstone NP, then probaly Wyoming , Montana and back to Seattle.

Of course half of that may change. All I really care about is going to The Canyonlands!

Just gotta sell the house first!

Oh and buy a tent - see "Robens any good?" thread..........

PS Go out now and buy Michelin North America Road Atlas ISBN 2-06-710648-1...........Once you have you'll double the size of your trip and the length of your stay!!!

Good luck -Ian

You should join me.

Ian. Looking at your plan I'm not sure I'd ever find you ! :D

Think I saw one of your earlier threads. I do some business in Seattle, which will be finishing sometime before May I think, so when you get out there drop me a PM or post on here and we may be able to share a beer or several.

Otherwise, keep posting while you're away and assuming I can get my arse in gear we can meet up.

Good luck with the house etc.

Cheers Jim

Back
Top Bottom