X Challenge questions

Trippy

Still thinking about a change of bike for next year. Researched the Airheads and in particular Basics and have been put off by the ridiculous prices amongst other things. Want something for GS weekends (go for the off roading and could trailer long distances), commuting 25 mile round trip twice a week, would love to have a go at the Lands End and Exeter trials and want a week trail riding in the Pryanees or similar.

Luggage, what are the options, can you get frames to carry Zega boxes?

Seats, can you buy comfort seats?

JB raves about his, anyone else riding one and happy or other wise with it?

I see them in dealers with less than 1000 miles for £4k, add a big tank and some other bits and it looks like a stonking bike for under £5k.

Really like this ...

Attachments

• 19042008030-1.jpg
    19042008030-1.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 438
Still thinking about a change of bike for next year. Researched the Airheads and in particular Basics and have been put off by the ridiculous prices amongst other things. Want something for GS weekends (go for the off roading and could trailer long distances), commuting 25 mile round trip twice a week, would love to have a go at the Lands End and Exeter trials and want a week trail riding in the Pryanees or similar.

Luggage, what are the options, can you get frames to carry Zega boxes? You can get a TT set, but soft luggage is ab option
Seats, can you buy comfort seats? Renazco

JB raves about his, anyone else riding one and happy or other wise with it? Great, underated dualsport bikes - best modern BMW build quality by a long way ('cos it's made in the Aprillia factory) - which other Beemer has an all alloy frame and wieghs 150kg wet (except hardcore enduro 450X)

I see them in dealers with less than 1000 miles for £4k, add a big tank and some other bits and it looks like a stonking bike for under £5k. You can get one for less than £4k on Ebay

You can get a TT set, but soft luggage is an option

You can get one for less than £4k on Ebay

I ask about the Zegas cos what ever I do I would never sell them or the spare GSA tank in case I went back to an 1100 or 1150 in a years time.

4k for a one year old bike with a years warranty from a main dealer looks like a better deal than something off fleabay.

http://www.renazco.com/gallery.cfm

Nice stuff.

I ask about the Zegas cos what ever I do I would never sell them or the spare GSA tank in case I went back to an 1100 or 1150 in a years time.

4k for a one year old bike with a years warranty from a main dealer looks like a better deal than something off fleabay.

The 2007 bikes on Ebay will still have a years warranty left, so save £500

Here's all the info you need

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335086

Cheers Johnny I'm on nights tonight and Sunday so I have some reading now :thumb2

Well they certainly like the XC in the states, there is so much stuff to read on Adventure Rider and lots that can be done with them. As long as you travel light there seems to be plenty of luggage options and plenty of people 'adventurizing' them.

I like mine a lot, I really think they're a great bike.

5K dual-sport miles on mine.

Fecking brilliant for what I want it for. Just thrashed it for 2 days over Salisbury Plain. Looks the business. It will do almost any track you aim it at.
Substantial enough for tarmac use between tracks. 72mpg. There is no other bike I want :)

One of the best bikes in the BMW GS range - a true dualsport, pity not many have discovered them

I've found them and love them!

I discovered the XChallenge by bumping into Duncan from Vines at the Excel bikeshow. One test ride later and I bought a second hand one from Vines with 223 on the clock for 3995. Now its modified and well and truley tested to the max - last trip off-road in the Pyrenees - brilliant.

Attachments

• PICT0050a.JPG
    PICT0050a.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 346
Next Q:

Are TT bar risers at £70 the only ones available or is there cheaper ones out there?

Next Q:

Are TT bar risers at £70 the only ones available or is there cheaper ones out there?

Got that wrong their £20 but after standing on one I dont think I need any.

Next Q:

What tyres are you using on them, TKC's?
JB says MT21 but the garage I use doesn't seem to be able to get them in these sizes.

Front
90/90 S 21

Rear
140/80 S 18

Dunlop Enduros are excellent with rim locks and heavy duty double skinned tubes - havent had any problems yet.

same sizes as the handbook says. I found them easy to fit.

kev.

Also..........check out Michelin AC10's.

They do them in X Challange sizes (they are pretty much a road legal enduro tyre) and although more off-road biased than MT21's they still work well on the road and are better in gloopy/muddy conditions.

Andres

Ta very much.

Next Q:

Both TT and Wunderlich make the tail tidy to shorten up the rear end and both rather predictably are out of stock. Anyone know of anywhere else that does em?

Ta.

Oh and managed to find someone here who can get the MT21's I think.

Thinking of the next :)

Also..........check out Michelin AC10's.

They do them in X Challange sizes (they are pretty much a road legal enduro tyre) and although more off-road biased than MT21's they still work well on the road and are better in gloopy/muddy conditions.

Andres

+1

I've been running an AC10 on the rear now for a while, and it's wear rates and so much slower than the michelin comp 3 it replaced (i got 600 miles out of that :blast).

If it's your second bike then AC10's are definitely the way forward, but if you want to do more road work, especially if you commuting in the wet, then MT21's are possibly a better tyre, just watch the rear on corners once it's squared off...

Back
Top Bottom