Shortening Chains

DollyRocket

Reaction score
Hi, I have just changed the sprockets and chain on my DRZ-S. Except the new chain is too long - I naievely expected it to be a perfect fit straight from the box (as described from internet advert).

However, my question is, Can I cut the extra links by punching out the rivets or should I buy the correct chain length? The chain is made by RK, but the renthal website says I need a 120L chain anyway (which is what this is).

P1000848.jpg

Grind the heads off the rivets with an angle grinder

As Tim says, carefully grind the head off the appropriate link with and angle-grinder, then push the pin out with a suitable drift.

But before you do that, you should fully slacken off the snail adjuster.

What sprocket sizes do you have fitted?

Greg

If you've a split link do as Tim says then punch it out while its still on the sprocket (makes it easier). A center punch to start getting it through works well.

Thanks for the info - I decided to cut off the rivet heads and drift out the pins - a couple of hard taps on the bench saw the pins fly off. It is now all fitted up and fully adjusted so the slack is just perfect with the back wheel wound all the way in.

I have put the split link on but some people on an american forum recommend glueing the holding clip in place? this seems overkill and probably unnecessary - what do you all think?

Mike

Glue? Never used glue or ever heard of it being used, just use a new link and clip and carry a spare :thumb

my clip hasn't moved in the 1000 odd miles since i fitted it, do carry two spare clips tho :thumb2
I work with this type of chain link, have done for ten years and not had one come apart by itself in that time.

I'd have just used a chain splitter instead of grinding the heads off :augie

Back
Top Bottom