Nokia 6110 Navigator

steve1

Reaction score
Nokia 6110 Navigator

Anyone used one of these on a bike? Anygood? Which mounts?

I got mine as a free upgrade, did not bother fitting mounts etc as I have a tomtom rider fitted.

When the rider failed I used the nokia and I was very very surprised as to how good it is.

There are 4 screens - one with all the info at the bottom, one with speed, time etc... one which is just mapping then the one I settled for, a big frickin arrow pointing in the direction you need to go and distance.

Put phone in tank bag map pocket which was a little tricky to see but as a back up it worked a treat.

Think with a waterproof - possibly aquabox - type mount it might be a good solution for GPS on the bike -
Due to the screen size it would have to be in a prominent place!
Only thing is power consumption, all the sites I read before getting it banged on about how much power gps takes. To date I've not noticed it too much. I use it for music on the bike too via autocom and bluetooth, which works well. Also the other thing was accidently pressing the gps button - I've only done this a couple of times - its not that obstructive, its just below the middle cursor buttons

Its a good little phone, good camera, gps is great (I work in london and don't know it very well)
Holds a decent charge - for a light user - I'm not on the phone all day!
GB map is free and all the Europe / world mapping is ££ -not sure of exact costs. Its not the normal nokia mapping, its route 66 software.
Takes a little while to locate - first time took about 25 mins - thought I'd been sold a duffer!! then your looking at upto 5 mins depending on area and how far away you are from the last time it was working - not a problem if your not in a hurry - its no where as near as fast as a standard gps but (I think for a fee) you can use the phone network to get the location quicker.

Normally by the time I'm packed, kitted up and ready to go the gps is located

If your due an upgrade I'd give it a whirl, after a days tinkering I'd figured it all out.

Hope this help!

Sid :beer::beer:

I've got one....this is the 2nd so far, the first one just locked up - Nokia replaced it under warranty. On this one, the camera's broken so it's going back again when I can be arsed....the GPS generally works well, but postcode searches can produce somewhat "intersting" results - I'm sure that with some postcodes it does not do a full search (i.e. it misses off the last bit) so full street name seach is advisable. I don't bother looking at the screen.

I just turn on the GPS and put it in my (waterproof) breast pocket and listen to the spoken instructions on bluetooth, which works well. On longer trips, I put it in the tank bag and connsct it to the bike's 12v feed via a din plug/normal cigarette lighter socket/12v charger (£5 from Tesco) which works OK.

You can also turn off the screen backlight which extends battery life considerably.

Would I buy another? Yes, but it would be nice to get the camera sorted - it's not an entirely unknown problem (think a Nokia version of UKGSer 1200 section (yes I have got one before anybody starts) ..:rolleyes:)

Hope this helps

Thanks guys, lots of food for thought there. I upgraded to this phone but never used the GPS. I think the best option for me would be to keep it in my pocket with the earphone. Probably crash if i kept looking at the tankbag. Thanks anyway.
Heres hoping father christmas gets me a zumo!

Back
Top Bottom