MT21's

Flipfly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just had some Pirelli MT21's fitted to the Dak.

First impressions on wet tarmac :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

They should be miles better than the TKCs off road but I don't think they'll be a patch on the road.

OK at an indicated 85mph in a straight line but took it very very steady on the twisty bits.

Any ideas of tyre pressures for the Dak. I have no rim locks so can't go too low :thumb

I use MT21s as my 'road tyres' on the Rallye bike, no problems at all untill it gets muddy.
After riding offroad to south Portugal we came back up through Spain at 80/90mph in the rain and they were fine.
Probably still the best all round tyre for a 650.

I also use Michelin Deserts, now they are scary on wet tarmac

I stuck with having the MT21 only on the front of my HP - prefered the Michelin desert on the rear which isn't bad. Wheel spins pretty easy, even in third, only had it step out a couple times in the wet but I was trying to keep up with Louisdut's better half (she's a bit handy!) So have a look at the Desert next time round for the rear.

As for pressure - are you talking offroad? I don't think you need to go that low, maybe 25. On the road, I would keep it quite high otherwise they won't last long on the rear. The front can start to cup pretty fast so stay off the brakes. :thumb

I use MT21s as my 'road tyres' on the Rallye bike, no problems at all untill it gets muddy.

The deserts are fine you bigs girls blouse!

:hide:D

Very informative Tim :augie

What pressures are you using??????

I was thinking between 18 and 21 psi as the road bits will be mainly to and from lanes, 60-70mph.

I was thinking between 18 and 21 psi as the road bits will be mainly to and from lanes, 60-70mph.

As a general rule the better off road the tyres the worse they are on the road...
If you wan't scary on tarmac try some Mitas CO2's ( good off road mind you )

As for pressure 20-22 won't be far out
I use MT21's on the HP2 front and rear and run 22-24
They are a good compromise in my opinion
But the HP2 destroys them in no time

MT21's ok on the XChallenge

Rear last abouts 2500 miles

I run 26PSI front and rear, no rim locks and MT21's have strong sidewalls

righto.

After riding offroad to south Portugal we came back up through Spain at 80/90mph in the rain and they were fine.

so we've established you don't like MT21's in the dirt and you prefere Michies but what presure do you run in the MT's when you are using them.:nenau

For trials and rallys I run down to about 15 i the rear and 18 in the front BUT I do use rim locks, plus chiseled rim to stop it creeping!
MT 21s are fairly stiff walled so not too much risk of impact puncs.

I use a Pirelli MT43 on the front for long distance trials at about 20 psi, With the soft walls they are realy exciting if you tip into a corner a bit quick!!!!!

Depends how much gas you are going to give it off road as it's the torque that moves the tyre on the rim. If you are trail riding at a sensible pace then I use about 20 in the back with no rim lock and go easy on the throttle!

Slightly off topic but I just rode my DRZ-E properly for the very first time today, a mate test rode it for me when I went to buy it and I took it all of 1/2a mile. Came to work (22 miles) on it. First time I've ever ridden this type of bike and she's running an AC10 rear and an MT320 front.

Riding in on damp, greasy B roads I nearly shat myself:eek:

Felt bloody awful and the rear tyre was just all over the place. :(

Slightly off topic but I just rode my DRZ-E properly for the very first time today, a mate test rode it for me when I went to buy it and I took it all of 1/2a mile. Came to work (22 miles) on it. First time I've ever ridden this type of bike and she's running an AC10 rear and an MT320 front.

LOL :D

That was exactly the same experiance I had running mine for the first time this Spring (on Grittys; very similar to AC10's but slightly less blocks).

Once you get used to them you'll actually be amazed with what they are up to (trust me!). The only problem I find is that you get very little warning, when they let go they let go :D

Andres

Just was on the phone to Talon. They will change the 17" rim on the Dakar hub to a 18 x2.50 for £200. Tempted to go that way.

If you're going to use it for road trips, get a second set of wheels and put road tyres on. Both wheels can be changed in about 20 mins.

Greg

Just a thought....................have you dropped the pressures as I found they work better on road with the lower pressure I run off road (18) - squirm a bit but grip well.

Andres

Just was on the phone to Talon. They will change the 17" rim on the Dakar hub to a 18 x2.50 for £200. Tempted to go that way.

That's intersting, when I spoke to them (a while ago now) they said they couldn't do it due to the odd spoke pattern. Could only be done using the old funduro hub.
Perhap's they have some different rim drillings now.
Would mean I could put a trials tyre on the back for MCC events and the like.

Just a thought....................have you dropped the pressures as I found they work better on road with the lower pressure I run off road (18) - squirm a bit but grip well.

Andres

Andres,

Decided to take the DRZ at the last minute , as I was in a rush I grabbed my pressure gauge as I left. Stopped en route and checked pressures cos she felt sooo bad, the rear was down to 14 and the front 15 :eek: ............popped into a service station and set 'em both at 24. It felt better to me but I was still pooping myself in the corners? :confused:

Ian

so we've established you don't like MT21's in the dirt and you prefere Michies but what presure do you run in the MT's when you are using them.:nenau

Depends what surface your riding on, that's why I didn't give any figures for my overall preference.
Also are you using rim locks?

Anywhere between 22 and 26 psi should be ok.

Andres,

Decided to take the DRZ at the last minute , as I was in a rush I grabbed my pressure gauge as I left. Stopped en route and checked pressures cos she felt sooo bad, the rear was down to 14 and the front 15 :eek: ............popped into a service station and set 'em both at 24. It felt better to me but I was still pooping myself in the corners? :confused:

Ian

Those are the kind of pressures I run all the time! I don't think higher pressure on something as aggresive as AC 10's is a good idea, as you will have less of the tread in contact with the tarmac.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom