Hoping I have bought the right bike??

davem108

Just logged on as a new member to this site after ordering my brand new GS1200 for delivery in November. I have been a Jap classic rider for years, but wanted to treat myself to a 'Beemer' as a once in a life time treat. The Japs have given me vitually no problems over the years, but I am a bit concerned to read of the many problems that GS owners have had with things going wrong with their bikes? Have they just been unlucky or are these machines not what they are cracked up to be. I am particularly worried about the rust problems. Still it's too late now. I have paid my deposit and I will be collecting her at some point soon. Fingers crossed!

Welcome and enjoy the new bike when you get it. Haven't stopped smiling since I got mine (GSA though) :D Mind you, that may change if (when?) I run into some of the things that seem to proliferate on this site... Nah :moped::D:D:D

Rust could well be the least of your probs but BM's warranty is good so you can relax for 2 years

welcome :thumb

wanted to treat myself to a 'Beemer' as a once in a life time treat.

these machines not what they are cracked up to be.

These statements should be in different threads at least a month apart :)

Having been a 'Jap' only person myself up till now, I'm very impressed with my 1200GS. It's a great ride and so far the service from my local dealer, (even though I didn't buy the bike from them), has been first class.

Bikes/cars/anything electrical-mechanical is going to break at some point, it's how it's dealt with shows the true nature of the marque.[I'm sure that will incite a few comments:augie]

Enjoy
Ollie

Just logged on as a new member to this site after ordering my brand new GS1200 for delivery in November. I have been a Jap classic rider for years, but wanted to treat myself to a 'Beemer' as a once in a life time treat. The Japs have given me vitually no problems over the years, but I am a bit concerned to read of the many problems that GS owners have had with things going wrong with their bikes? Have they just been unlucky or are these machines not what they are cracked up to be. I am particularly worried about the rust problems. Still it's too late now. I have paid my deposit and I will be collecting her at some point soon. Fingers crossed!

\All depends on the colour.:)

Welcome and enjoy you bike when you get it.

Obviously BMW have some acknowledged issues in the press which they have either resolved or are working on I would agree that if you suffer from one of the problems, how good the bike feels to ride does not really offset sitting at the side of the road waiting for a flatbed.

However very few bikes are as capable or versatile as the BMW - check out the last Hairy Bakers episode and the stack of wedding cake boxes they carried for an example.

Mine puts a grin on my face every time I ride it - which is great after an awful day at the office.

Rust-wize I have not had mine long enough to comment, my R1100S suffered from some fork stanchion and cross brace pitting, however the newer GS now has a different finish in these areas. The other heaviliy discussed issues (EWS Antenna and Fuel Pump Controller) have not been experienced by every owner.

BTW I live in the North of Hampshire so may see you around at some point.

Some of the corrosion issues seem to set in 'just outside' the 2yr warranty period, so make sure you keep an eye on things and get any issues checked by the dealer before it's too late. Goodwill repairs outside warranty seems to be fairly common, though there's no guarantee you'll be offered it and you will probably end up having to pay something towards the cost. If you start to see any blisters on the front engine cover, or other alloy parts you know it's only going to get worse!

Apart from that, you've got yourself a fantastic bike, - enjoy!

Cheers all, I feel a bit better now!

Thanks for all your replies. I'm a bit happier about the choice I have made now. Can't wait to pick her up.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm a bit happier about the choice I have made now. Can't wait to pick her up.

I made the move to a new GSA from a series of Jap inline-4 sports bikes very recently. Too soon to comment on reliability but the decision to go GS was definitely the right one :thumb

The proof of the pudding is in the eating (and I can tell you that a lot of pudding is eaten by the GS riders on here!)

Hi Dave,

All I can suggest is to either not visit this site anymore or don`t read the problem threads people post until on the very rare occasion something might go wrong with your bike. Not saying it will though :D All the other stuff is good but it can make you paranoid for the next 2 months while your bike comes and then when you get it be bricking it that you can`t get to the shops without bits falling off :aidan

Don`t worry, you`ll love it :thumb2

Enjoy the bike, Im sure you will.

As with all t'inernet gossip, you only hear the whinging stories, relax and enjoy your good choice of bike. :thumb

Just be grateful you brought a GS and not one of those orange girly bikes....:D

Back
Top Bottom