rocker gasket leak

sijohnston

Reaction score
i mentioned it briefly in the snagging list but after 9000 miles my rocker gasket broke down. i am still waiting on a new one from germany but in the meantime just have to keep an eye on the oil level. i mention it because the gear positioning sensor fault came to light fairly early on my bike and now seems to be getting more common. so keep your eyes peeled for oil at the top of the block. also getting something for the top of the fuel pump because the display is completely off on reading the fuel left and a software recalibration hasn't rectified it. heinz must've built my bike on a friday afternoon and decided that bratwurst and weizenbier couldn't come quick enough!

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1540838&postcount=59

could the fuel thing be related to my post above and teh associated answers?

hearing you. this has happened to me x5 and i just grew tired of it. now i set my trip meter and fill every 170 miles as i was running out before the reserve light came on. i was told by the dealer that i shouldn't worry about it, and just set my trip meter anyway, to which i answered 'eh, this was the reason i paid x amount extra for the computer!). so they did some homework and have ordered a part from bm. tsk tsk...

Weeping 800

Noticed a small amount of oil on the front of the engine so took it ino the dealers.
Dealer said there was a small "weep" of oil coming from the top area at the front of the engine - must be a gasket up top somehwere but can't see it. They've now got the bike next Monday for an afternoon to sort it out.

Anyone elses 800 been crying?

Yup, same here. Not far off the 10k service so will get them to address then, or at least I'll ask and see what happens. Maybe they'll forget or run out of time or not realise I wanted the bike back. :rolleyes:

yes, posted on this some time ago. it's likely to be the rocker head gasket. mine was replaced and is now sorted. not a big deal. clutch has now burned out though...so give a few thousand and then book in for a new clutch :eek:

The rocker head gasket has happened to a number of people including me. Needless to say it wasn't in stock at the dealers so getting it sorted involved yet more expense and time. I'm getting fairly tired of the number of problems I've had with the bike which could probably find its way to the dealer blindfolded.

New rocker cover at 6400 K. Got the bike stripped right down at the moment
and there is a bit of rust and corrosion around the frame and forks.
NOT HAPPY..It's just only 15 months old!
Weeping..............bloody crying:mad:

25,000 miles and still laughing :thumb

The rocker cover gasket was weeping just as described... changed, sorted :thumb

Some corrosion on the front hubs where the spokes go through, paint not falling off though ... yet :eek:

No corrosion on the engine ... me still a happy chappy :thumb

:beerjug:

I was 2500 overdue as I'd done an oil change in between at 16500. Anyway, rocker gasket leaking again, so while it was off, they check valve clearances. Fork oil done etc.

Rocker box oil leak

I have just noticed and oil leak which appears to be coming from the rocker box. Shag mentioned one in the Recalls and software updates thread in March but I have not seen any other mentions. Anyone out there had a problem?

I have just noticed and oil leak which appears to be coming from the rocker box. Shag mentioned one in the Recalls and software updates thread in March but I have not seen any other mentions. Anyone out there had a problem?

Yep ... just noticed a few days ago. Supposed to be getting it fixed next Tuesday.

yes, i've had mine done x2. make sure they do the inner and outer gasket on it, otherwise it'll happen again!

Had my Rocker cover resealed by BMW as it was letting oil out. This was just before my 12,000-mile service, couple of weeks ago.

Done another 1k now & everything is hunky-dory. :rob

Had the same, 30 mins back at the shop sorted it out...

30 minutes? There's a shedload of stuff to remove to get to the cam cover... I'd be wondering if they've done it properly if it only took half an hour. Which dealer was it?

I always go to CW, and have managed to persuade Wally to look at it and do the valve clearances... then they don't need doing (and therefore paying for) at the 12k service...

G

Mine's going in in 2 weeks time to fix this as well... inner and outer gaskets, huh? I'll ask the mechanic about it and hear what he says. He's been excelente about everything so far.

Just completed RTW trip(long way round). 10 F800gs's each one covered approx 22000 Miles over a 4 month period. On all 10 bikes the rocker box gasket failed and this was the only common fault for the whole trip.

Overall the bikes took a real beating with many offs and some big crashes but each time they were always able to continue. The only mechanical failure was one rear collapsed wheel bearing.

Having bought the bike specifically for the trip and only having ridden road bikes before I have to say that i have great respect for the F800gs and having experianced the abuse they took can honestly say that 'unstoppable' they were.

Mine was in for a service on wednesday amd it has to go in again next wednesday to have the rocker cover gasket done and a new water pump that is also leaking. Still, no complaints from me as it hasn't held me up. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom