O2 XDA ORBIT2 AND TOMTOM 5?

GS01

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an O2 XDA with Co-Pilot software, it works well but not as well as friends TomTom equipped devices.

I have found TomTom 5 software for sale and assume that it is a simple question of loading the software onto the device. It appears as if it is compatible with the device but I am looking for real world experience - so has any body done this?

For the record I am using an otterbox 1900 to mount the device, which whilst big and ugly does the job of protecting it from water and vibration. The ram mount holder does an equally good job and with a Migsel mount it is in the right place, off the bars and above the clocks.

Mark

I run an Xda Orbit with TomTom and have no problems, it just installed and worked and in some ways is better than my Garmin (full post code search that is being calculated from the moment you start entering it is one)

Hi Mark,

I'm declaring an interest here, as I too have an Orbit 2 with CoPilot, and have similar issues with its postcode abilities, or lack of them. According to CoPilot, I live about 2 miles away from my postcode...

However, I had a look at the Otterbox compatability chart, which says the Orbit 2 is "too thick" to fit the 1900. I presume it's a tight fit, then?

And, in addition, how do you manage with gloves on? Can you actually interact with the Orbit on the move, or do you have to stop to do any route changes?

I've been thinking about Tom Tom s/w for a while, too, but have been too lazy to do anything about it. Was also put off about a year ago when someone claimed that Tom Tom s/w was virus-ridden. Suspect a pinch of salt is called for, though.

Tight squeeze

I was sold the 1900 as compatible with the XDA Orbit 2 but was surprised to see that it is described as too thick on the latest compatibility chart. The device does push the plastic membrane out a little on the otterbox, so far it appears fine. The membrane is replaceable if it does develop a hole.

It is not an elegant engineering solution to the mounting problem but it does work very well in terms of isolating the device from vibration as well as being waterproof. The Aquabox looks better but I am not sure if it will be as protective of the device in terms of protecting it from vibes, espicially on a flat twin.

As to interacting on the move - no, definitely not. You need to use the stylus and to avoid dropping it you need to take your gloves off. For me I dont find that a problem and the sat nav is mainly an aid to finding the hotel or petrol stations whilst on a trip.

As to post code effectivness, again I have not had a problem. My main gripe is setting waypoints - you can't pick a point on a road, you need to pick a town and the device then routes you to the town centre instead of bypassing it, or at least it does the way I am using it.

TomTom 5 software seems cheap anyway, so I may just risk it and report back.

Mark

P.S - cheers ovenpaa - I'll give it a go.

Last edited:
Bought tomtom6 software and 8gb micro sd card - loaded onto O2 XDA and it all seems to be working fine. I have only tried it in the car so far but I don't forsee any problems.

I'll keep you posted.

Mark

Just did exactly the same on my XDA orbit, I replaced it with an iPhone last year and did a factory reset on the XDA with a view to giving it to one of the kids but I miss it as a GPS so I reloaded this afternoon, not sure I like the TomTom Home 2.5 as much as the older version I had but otherwise it is good to have it back :thumb

Get a 12v power supply for the car as it kills the battery, mine was a couple of quid off eBlag.

Back
Top Bottom