2720 from America - is it a bargin!!

You will also need to procure European mapping. You'll find that that will rather take the edge off the price advantage!

Greg

One of the ebay sellers is advertising that the units shipped to the UK will include European mapping, so that one sounds ok......................

One of the ebay sellers is advertising that the units shipped to the UK will include European mapping, so that one sounds ok......................

which one ? (of the sellers I mean) - suspect I am overlooking summink obvious (won't be the first time...............) :confused: :eek:

check if it has an american basemap. i'm not sure it can be changed on 2 series units. does anyone know for sure?

Basemaps cannot be changed - not even by Garmin.

Yes, basemaps are used for display at certain zoom levels, but this issue can be overcome by also loading WorldMap (suspect only a 2D display though).

Garmin do not sell units with Atlantic basemaps outside the Atlantic basemap area (same for US basemaps etc)

Any supplimentary (ie European) mapping must also come with an unlock code specific to the actual GPS unit on which it will be used. Without that, the mapping data is worthless.

Greg

Garmin do not sell units with Atlantic basemaps outside the Atlantic basemap area (same for US basemaps etc)

euro basemap is available on t'interweb. the question really is, can the 2720 display it? newer units can.

i suppose it's irrelevant if it's not needed :)

You will need some kind of base map when you zoom out or there will be virtually nothing showing on the screen, I use world map with my Americas 60Csx, that seems to work fine,

I have an American 2720 so can answer your questions:

The preinstalled US mapping cannot be removed without overwriting it with more US mapping, the European Update DVD will not do this. There are various hacks that might work such as running a US update but pulling the plug in the early stages so that only a small part is installed. Sounds dodgy but I was assured that this does work, you need the US update disk to do this though.

Any European mapping you install will go into the supplementary memory, this is what's left with the US mapping installed. I have v7 NT US mapping on mine and this leaves enough for about half of Europe.

European mapping needs to be installed using Mapsource or the Mapinstall utility.

If the unit doesn't come with legit/non pirated European mapping then you're going to need to buy a full version (not upgrade) which could make it a deal breaker.

I was lucky, mine came with full city nav that the previous owner had bought, however this was a non NT version, when I upgraded Garmin UK reluctantly let me have the NT version which being compressed means more mapping fits onto the unit.

The price from your link is a bargain but only if you can get European mapping included or at a knock down price.

A non navigable base map can be obtained from here.

Hi Bumpkin, thanks for that info, as a complete numpty when it comes to SatNav never having owned own or used one I now realise that things are not always what they seem & think that I will leave the US kit alone.
I`ll look instead for a second hand piece of kit that includes all the neccessary European maps.
I assume that once the instruction books have been read things then begin to become clearer, well hope that`s the case.

I assume that once the instruction books have been read things then begin to become clearer, well hope that`s the case.
The 2720 is a great bit of kit but needs some familiarity to get the best out of it. You need to put a little bit of effort into learning about it and experimenting, the user guide only gives you a grounding on the basics. Web sites such as this one can help understand/master the little quirks.

Same could be said for any sat nav really.

The 2720 is a great bit of kit but needs some familiarity to get the best out of it. You need to put a little bit of effort into learning about it and experimenting, the user guide only gives you a grounding on the basics. Web sites such as this one can help understand/master the little quirks.

Same could be said for any sat nav really.

I`ve decided to go for a second hand 2610, they seem more readily available & at a reasonable price.
The next question is - what else do I need to purchase in order to fit it to an `07` 1200GS. I`d like to fit it to the screen bracket just above the clocks, also does it need to be hard wired to the bike, or to an auxilary socket.
I know these are numpty type questions but when it comes to things like this I`m a complete numpty.
Any helpful advice would be gratefully recieved, cheers

hi bumpkin

what about proximity alerts, ie safety cameras etc, are you able to load and operate these
on your 2720

cheers

amc

hi bumpkin

what about proximity alerts, ie safety cameras etc, are you able to load and operate these
on your 2720
Sorry, haven't been on here for a while.

Works exactly as a European 2720 apart from the 3rd party base map isn't routeable and I can't fit detailed mapping for all of Europe on at one time.

I have custom POIs and Pocket GPS World scamera alerts loaded, all work as you would expect.

In terms of how much detailed mapping I can get onto mine; There's sufficient room to fit anything but a very ambitious extended tour (which I don't stand a chance of doing for a very long time). For individual trips I might need to swap mapping (much the same as you'd do with a Quest or SPIII) to take out tiles I don't need but add those that I do. I currently have mapping as shown below loaded which covers more than my current needs and plans.

2720_mapping.gif

The map tiles as shown above consume around 980MB, there's a chunk left free for more POIs etc with the remainder taken up by the redundant US mapping. With later versions of the US mapping I would expect less free space to be available due to the increased size each update seems to bring, however, I wouldn't expact too much change.

If I ever make it to the States to do 'that road trip' I'll just need the current update DVD, around $70, or just live with the US mapping I have (v7 NT).

Back
Top Bottom