BMW Level 1 Advanced Course 10th & 11th October

blobcat

Reaction score
Hi All,

As per title I am booked on the Level 1 Advanced course on the 10th & 11th October :) A great birthday present that I wasn't expecting at all. Anyone elch going?

I've read the tips in the off road events section and kind of wished I hadn't...I'm looking forward to it but it is with some trepidation.

I will be taking loads of industrial strength brufen for the second day. I'm hiring their gear and probably riding up as Claire wants to ride around the area on the CBR whilst I'm on the course. We're booked in at some riding stables :confused: as the Abercrave is full although I believe they are organising a taxi to get us to the Abercrave for the meal.

Relax - you'll love it. If you can get in some slow control practice before you go you'll benefit enormously. Just do a load of figure eights in the supermarket carpark every night before you go.....

And don't wear too much on the day - you *will* sweat buckets but they provide loads and loads of free bottled water.

You'll luv it.........1st day is like doing you CBT on dirt/gravel (you will fall off at some point) 2nd day you really get into the off road stuff (again you will fall off at some point).When I first booked it I though it was quite a lot of money for a 2 day course...but when you get there and see the setup the money is irrelevant.

PS- After the first day you will ache like f@ck

Have you done offroad before - by your comments I would think not.

Therefore why are you on the advanced course.

It's all irrelevant - they split everyone into simlar ability groups at the start. If you say you're an off road god and it turns out you're not then you'll just get 'moved' into another group......

trust the instructors - they've done and seen it all before...... ;)

Yes I have done some although not exactly on an off road bike. They recommended the Level 1 Advanced course based on how long I've been riding and my riding experience.

I've just bought some more brufen so 2 in the morning, 2 at lunch and some more at the end of day 1. I am really looking forward to it now and the weather is looking OK for Friday but Saturday is not so great. Still we will take the bikes up and staying over on Saturday night so not riding back cream crackered.

So what bike are you doing it on?
I'm booked on the 1200 :)

I almost bought a 1200GSA in March this year however work is up in the air (On 90 days at the moment) and I took a 1098S out for a test ride last month. So depending upon work I will either have a 1200GSA in the garage or a 1098S. I "need" both that is the problem :D Claire also "needs" a GS and would with some more experience "need" a 1098S as well. Perhaps I should offer to kick start the economy to the tune of £52K for the 4 bikes, seems reasonable enough I will go and talk to my assembly member for some folding.

Not doing 10th/11th but am on level 1 12th/13th. Hope day 1 went OK and you've not run out of painkillers yet!

Did mine on the 650 X-Country . . . . you're going to LOVE IT!!!! :)

Have loads of fun!!!

. . . . just don't break ya wrist like I did! :eek:

Shirley

:eek:

Yes I have done some although not exactly on an off road bike. They recommended the Level 1 Advanced course based on how long I've been riding and my riding experience.
Unless they've changed it, I thought that you weren't allowed on the Advanced Course until you'd completed their Level 1 course. :nenau

My advice? When you're in a rut (and you will be :D ) DON'T try switching ruts unless you know what you're doing. DAMHIK :eek:

Simon Pavey came out with a classic quote: If you don't fall off - you're not trying hard enough. :D

i'm a girlie and i've done the offroad course...........loved it.....mindu it took me a week to get over it.........had muscle ache that i didn't know i had........i had a go on a 650gs as well as a 1200........mega mega fun....never knew gettin wet and muddy could be as fun as it was...lost count of the times i dropped my bike.........only downside.....u have to pick it up yourself and boy does it get heavy by the end of the day......best bit was gettin back to the hotel and havin a rather large g+t........lol..........ps mr pavey is lovely........and patsy is a goodess on a 1200adv.........she is awesome to watch........

I just got back and and the 2 days were FAB!
Great to ride with you Blobcat - feel free to PM me and keep in touch!

Best

Pale

Possibly the best 2 day's I've had on a bike. Gwyn our instructor was very good and can ride a 1200Adventure better than I thought possible. He wasn't as mad as most of the instructors which was probably good for me. We had 7 in our group and all did very well (only killed 4 bikes IIRC)
Claire was going to just ride around Brecon and the black mountains on the CBR however I asked if they had any spare places and they had so Claire did the Level 1 course on a 650. Having passed her test in August and been out with me 5 times on the road it was an amazing feat and she really enjoyed it. Claire was out with Zippy who appeared to spend a lot of time trying to fill her in.
I only manged one drop on the first day doing the figure 8's. Second day I was off 4 times. The best was probably stopping on the 800 and not having anything to put my left leg on. I then rolled down the ravine thankfully leaving the 800 at the top. A bit of a sore elbow today but that is my only injury. Plenty of Brufen everyday, plenty of water all day and the advice about not changing ruts on a 1200 is a good one. I crabbed a couple of tracks and whilst it wasn't always elegant a good dose of throttle got me up and out of just about every situation.

Once I get off my work laptop I will post a few pictures from the course.

Yep,

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I concur. Gwyn was great. Our group was great. A competition developed in a few aspects; a) how much mud could you cover the guy behind you with (we were all pretty covered in the end) b) who fell off the most (Josh, bless him, one that competition!!) c) who could do the best power slide (Gwynn of course!)

All very interesting, and I was very impressed with how the course is structured - basic enough to begin with to get everyone on the same page but always challenging enough to make you think "hmmm....this'll be interesting!). Day 2 found us all slightly sore but raring to go - the hill climbs were my favorite as the first time they say "ride up there" you look at it and think to yourself :eek er....you're kidding, right?!!?

Some of the more technical bits were extremely challenging but exceptional fun when completed. Everyone says before they go "it's a bit expensive isn't it?!??" but once you've done it that becomes wholly irrevelant.

Things I learned most;

1) The GS is SOOOO MORE capable than you'll ever believe off road:ymca
2) Riding off road is hardly about steering, but mostly all about where you have your weight on the pegs
3) deep gravel is a scary thing indeed :tears but you get used to it!:mmmm
4) Cornering power slides are fun fun FUN! :thumb
5) I wish I had more money to do it all over again. Definitely going back for more.:rob
6) DON'T stay at the New Swan Hotel. It has to be the noisiest pub in Wales!!:guitarist

Any time you want a ride out Blobcat lemme know!

P

Pre carnage
DSC00680.JPG

Very nice of you to help Gwyn up with his GSA
DSC00683.JPG

The fifth gear hill
DSC00695.JPG

It's easier if you ride up...
DSC00698.JPG

Nice to have a round front tyre again
DSC00703.JPG

Yep it was great and Claire is amazing on a bike. Loved the course (Level 1 basic) even though I was quite (ok Very) scared at the beginning.

Oh and Zippy is a motivational god!

Adrian

Once I have it I will post a picture of zippy after day two of the advanced course this weekend, all I can say is that pay back is sweet.

Jim

as promised

Thanks Andy for the picture

Attachments

• DSCF0200.jpg
    DSCF0200.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 185
Hi...

just wondered, do they provide the twat suits or did you all "coordinate" when booking!!

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom