Historic Motorcycle Rides in the New Forest

thauma

Reaction score
I'm not normally one to put pen to paper, however I received a Birthday present from SWMBO last year, and was so impressed that I put together the following words for my local IAM group newsletter.

I am not associated with BUGAD.com in any shape or form, other than as a satisfied customer. However I thought that this was such a unique experience that some of you folks may be interested.

If you are then read on..............

Time Travelling through the New Forest

Imagine the feeling of the open road, wind in your face, motoring through the beautiful Hampshire New Forest. The miles of open heath land, quaint English villages, the atmospheric copses of trees and deeper forested areas flow past as the journey unwinds. The gentle blur of colours, with an incredible mixture of greens from the trees contrasting with the blues and purples of the bluebells carpeting the shady areas below. This is tempered by the free roaming New Forest ponies sauntering across the road, following their own path, oblivious of the attention they gather from passing traffic. The occasional stop for coffee, and an unhurried lunch in a picturesque English pub, a nice pint with a traditional doorstop sandwich all pull together to emphasis the splendour of a late spring day.

How can this be improved upon? Well two months ago, I would have challenged anyone to beat that for a classic day on the road with my bike. However I was fortunate enough to have a determined wife, who is always looking to find the ‘perfect gift’. This year she has outdone herself. With the assistance of Gordon and his team at Bugad.com based in Mockbeggar near Ringwood, the idyllic setting described above was enhanced by the opportunity to ride the New Forest roads, not only on my own modern motorcycle (a BMW R1150GS Adventure), but to also experience the excitement of motorcycling with machines of a bygone era.

A challenge, certainly it is a challenge. Modern bikes are reliable, trustworthy, predictable, and for all of that sometimes a little characterless. With the opportunity to ride bikes where the gear selectors may be foot or hand operated, where they may be on the opposite side to modern bikes, where the selectors work in the opposite direction (“1 up, 3” down says Gordon). The clutch may be foot operated, indicators are a modern convenience, and an Electric starter is a thing of the future. Kick starting is a way to exercise you leg, and build your muscles, and if you don’t like it then you can try to bump start it, “that’ll keep you warm” says Gordon with awry smile on his face as beads of perspiration begin to form on my forehead.

Combine the beautiful New Forest, 8 classic motorcycles spanning probably 60 years of automotive history, a friendly bunch of people who have a love of motorcycling in common, Two guides to assist with the bikes and the appropriate local knowledge to show you the most appropriate roads, on which to experience the bikes at their best, and finally the endless supply of coffee from ‘The Management’ back at base.

This day is one of contradiction; seriously relaxing yet exciting at the same time at least for the avid motorcyclist. I couldn’t believe how much character these old bikes have, and being able to travel back through time with bikes that for many people should be in a museum. Fortunately Gordon and his team have made them available for “modern me” and others like me to ride and actually experience the golden ages of motorcycling. Speed, yes you can travel at speed, but the local roads, ponies, and the physics of the bikes themselves will encourage you ride at a leisurely pace, that said, the characteristics of the bikes themselves will ensure that you are still enjoying the benefits and excitement of cutting edge motorcycle technology, at least it was cutting edge when the bikes were developed.

How much does it cost? Personally that’s not an issue here, for me the experience is priceless, certainly it was one of those exceptional days out, which will be very hard to surpass, and remembered for a very long time

Now I am not a motorcycle guru, I enjoy riding bikes, and know an older bike when I see one. But as far as history is concerned – well, that’s just beyond me. Here is a basic run down on the bikes I had the opportunity to ride on that day with some commentary from a personal perspective. Please don’t get upset at the lack of technical detail, I’ve borrowed (with permission) from bugad.com web pages for some of the detail.

1941 Harley Davidson WL45

No. of seats: 1
No. of cylinders: 2
Engine size: 750cc
Configuration: V twin
Starting method: Kick start
Gear lever: Left hand
Clutch: Left foot
Condition: Classic
Brakes: Drum

This particular bike was originally issued to the South African Defence Force and later used as a Police bike in Rhodesia, Gordon claims that it now enjoys an ‘easy life’ in the New Forest! This bike required a lot of concentration with the swept around bars, foot operated heel / toe clutch and left hand gear change. It felt a bit agricultural, like an old tractor; especially with that seat, but once moving was a perfect bike for trundling around the New Forest and certainly draws attention. I could not tell however whether that was the bike or my attempt at controlling the gear changes. It certainly furrowed my brow, trying to get it moving.

1940 Royal Enfield WD/C

No. of cylinders: 1
Engine size: 350cc
Configuration: Single
Gear lever: Right foot
Frame: Rigid

Manufactured in the 2nd World War, most of these were used by despatch riders. Rigid frame with girder forks makes this a fun but firm bike to ride, apparently fiddling with the advance/retard helps you get the best out of the side-valve engine, and flying along at 40mph brings a great sense of achievement when you successfully negotiate a couple of gentle bends. The rigid forks certainly made cornering more of a challenge than I had expected, but at least the loud exhaust assisted in warning everyone of my arrival.

1999 Ducati 996

Engine size: 996cc
Starting method: Electric
Gear lever: Left foot
Exhaust: Termignoni
Condition: As new
Brakes: Discs

What a superb sports bike. I used to own one of these, and although mine was the faster ‘yellow’ colour, this one did not disappoint. Fast as you like, very quick in the twisty's, acknowledged as one of the best looking models from their design studio. Loads of fun with typical Ducati exhaust roar. Guaranteed to get you there before anyone else! This bike is already a future classic, and had me grinning from ear to ear wishing that I had never sold mine.

1981 Moto Guzzi V50

Engine size: 500cc
Starting method: Electric
Gear lever: Left foot
Drive: Shaft
Brakes: Disc

My original motorcycle instructor used to ride one of these, and I could never see the attraction. It is a classic Italian bike, very happy to plod along, but will wind up quite quickly to speeds that’ll ensure that you are making appropriate progress. Has a smooth ride with shaft drive, and a foot brake that operates the rear disc and one front disc at the same time - very modern for it’s age, an incredibly easy bike to ride. I must admit that this was the surprise of the day for me, it’s not the prettiest of bikes, but certainly encouraged me to make progress.

1967 Triumph Trophy TR6

No. of seats: 2
Engine size: 650cc
Configuration: Twin
Starting method: Kick
Frame: Swing Arm
Brakes: Disc/drum

What a superb bike! Classic waves of grunt at the twist of the throttle, very happy to bumble along, or to be ridden with vigour, simple to start (at least after having ridden the Harley and the Enfield) and a breeze to manoeuvre. This also has a certain character building vibration through the seat and bars reminding you that you’re on a classic bike.

1972 Norton Commando

Engine size: 750cc
Frame: Swingarm
Brakes: Disc/Drum

To me this is the ‘true British Classic’, I guess that it is one of the first bikes I recall noticing as a child. It certainly had character so much so that I didn’t want to stop, although when I did stop the ‘vicious’ clutch (yes I do mean nasty) made take off interesting - and I do mean that literally.

1956 BSA GoldFlash

Engine size: 650cc

To be honest everything just felt right on this bike, a very nice easy to ride bike, with no nasty surprises. I could have cruised all day on this bike.

1960 Triumph Speed Twin

Engine size: 500cc

Of all the bikes, this felt the smallest, and once moving it didn’t want to stop. It was the bike that I felt the least confident riding, as the brakes were a little less than sufficient.

The ride home was interesting having ridden so many different bikes, with different characteristics. Getting onto the giant BMW, trying to remember on which side the brake and gear change was, probably had Gordon laughing for the next couple of days. However we are nothing if not adaptable, and after a couple of corners I was back in the modern world with real suspension, 6 gears, and ABS.

I have to say a big thanks to my wife, Joy, for persevering to find that elusive gift, and to Gordon (www.bugad.com) for keeping the bikes in such good condition, and for making it possible for people like myself to experience true biking history.

Would I like to ride in that historic world every day – I don’t think so, but I do think that it would be nice to own a stable of this character, and visit it when the fancy took me – so I’m now off to buy a lottery ticket to see if I can make that dream come true.

Pictures to follow............

Moto Guzzi V50

Attachments

• moto-guzzi-v50 -2.jpg
    moto-guzzi-v50 -2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,431
norton commando

Attachments

• norton-commando -2.jpg
    norton-commando -2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,377
royal enfield