Just Had test ride info needed

Keithp

Hi all currently have a 1200 gsa , am thinking of swopping it in , possably a 800GS , as the 1200 is only used for commuting into london. I could do with something with a similar riding position , but Lighter , so started looking about and it only realy leaves the ktm 990 and the 800GS.

Had a short test ride and to be quite honest i was very surprised after reading some reports it was down on power i thought it went very well, infact for my use it would be spot on with a far better gearbox than the gsa far more suited to my use in london traffic.

The only downside for me was and things I would need sorted would be lower pegs , higher seat to give more leg room , the front forks seem very soft , or it may be i'm a fat git , sorted the rear shox by adding preload but the front seemed very soft.

Has any one any info or experance on tweeking these aspects , i have done quite a bit on the web last night but did not find too much info , one thing i did find on the adv forum was mention of a high seat available from BMW in the us.

So any help would be appricaiated.

Keith

lowering pegs

Suburban Machinery is working on a set of lowering pegs. I just e-mailed them yesterday. I had an '06 GS...nice bike but heavy!! I drove the 650 and the 800 GS. I thought that both had great "zip" and were very easy to drive. I am trading in my '06 GT this Tuesday for the 800 GS. The GT is a great bike. I like the feel of something light.

Mr. Pete--->

Yup fine for off road, but when blating about london , sorry i ment commuting, i thing i would get the hump with fork dive , I have just come back from a test ride on a 990adv ktm and they were not as bad.

Keith

i thing i would get the hump with fork dive

sorry for not understanding the problem(my in english is not good), perhaps cause Im used to motocross bikes(soft forks) that I think the fork is great, no problem in any case up to full speed(+110 mph) with twistie roads and stoppies

probably big difference in fuel effciency btw 990 and 800 GS + 990 probably need more maintenance

you will get used to the fork

edit: I will go for a ride now and give the "soft" fork a thought

sorry for not understanding the problem(my in english is not good), perhaps cause Im used to motocross bikes(soft forks) that I think the fork is great, no problem in any case up to full speed(+110 mph) with twistie roads and stoppies

probably big difference in fuel effciency btw 990 and 800 GS + 990 probably need more maintenance

you will get used to the fork

edit: I will go for a ride now and give the "soft" fork a thought

If youve come straight from a GS with the telelever front end you will notice the fork dive of course but you will get used to it very quickly.
i like the KTM 990 , really nice bike but what swung it for me is the 35mpg of the 990 or 950 whereas i get a consistant 62+ mpg out of my 800GS.
Ive just taken my wife out on the back of mine today and she found it comfy, certainly the bike didnt make a meal of her being there so id say its pretty good for two up.
One more thing, my 6000 miles service was £120 inc vat at the bmw main dealer, nuff said.
( still wouldnt mind a KTM in my fleet mind you!- trouble is i can only afford a fleet of one!)

Moto

I could get used to the forks , its the seat and pegs that i need to sort out the most.

Keith

One more thing, my 6000 miles service was £120 inc vat at the bmw main dealer, nuff said.

800 GS is probably cheaper to own and less time to spend messing with the bike, according to KTM owners I spoke to.

Had a ride, the fork can hardly be taken for soft, maybe if you are used to telelever(have no experience of that one), seen offroad users saying the fork is to hard for offroad(serious?) use.

Thinking about it if , its actualy the rate of dive so perhaps increasing the commpression damping would make it feel better , so a quick fix would be a heavier grade of oil .

Keith

The only downside for me was and things I would need sorted would be lower pegs , higher seat to give more leg room , the front forks seem very soft , or it may be i'm a fat git , sorted the rear shox by adding preload but the front seemed very soft.

Has any one any info or experance on tweeking these aspects , i have done quite a bit on the web last night but did not find too much info , one thing i did find on the adv forum was mention of a high seat available from BMW in the us.

So any help would be appricaiated.

Keith

Keith.

What height are you??? The standard seat height is 880mm which a lot seem to think is very high (I'm comfortable with it - I'm 5'10"). BMW do a low seat option (850mm) but havn't heard of a high option.
You'd get used to the fork dive. I had an 1150 GS for 6 years and barely noticed the dive when I got my 800. The TT catalogue lists progressive springs for the 800GS. No doubt they'll come out with lowered footrest in time.

Keith.

What height are you??? The standard seat height is 880mm which a lot seem to think is very high (I'm comfortable with it - I'm 5'10"). BMW do a low seat option (850mm) but havn't heard of a high option.
You'd get used to the fork dive. I had an 1150 GS for 6 years and barely noticed the dive when I got my 800. The TT catalogue lists progressive springs for the 800GS. No doubt they'll come out with lowered footrest in time.

I'M 6' , but my problem is i have issues with my back , and my knee's are not that clever either. so i need plenty of space to move around.

Seat hight is relative as its only quoted as far as i know when the bike has no rider , once you load up the suspension it resuces . for me the important bit is the relationship between the pegs and seat bace.

I rode a 990 adv yeasterday and i could put both feet flat on the floor with the suspension quite firm. I could do with a higher seat on on of those as well !

I picked up the info about the higher seat on adv rider forum , am speaking to my dealer todaywill post if i find out anything.

Keith

Back
Top Bottom