Upgrade to K1300 2009 switchgear?

F650Dakar_Norway

Reaction score
Had a chat with my BMW mechanic at the 10kkm service yesterday and asked if it was possible to mount the new BMW 1-button indicator switchgear on my 800GS. He claimed this would mean "reprogramming" of the can-bus setup since the 800GS was not configured for those switches yet.

I hate the complex and non-intuitive 3-button setup especially on this light-flywheel-engine equipped bike. I'm used to 1-button indicator operation through 30 years and dislike heavily the non-intuitive operation of that weird cancel-switch and hard to operate horn-button.

Needless to say I'll investigate further into this as the 3-button system pisses me off in most every roundabout I come across. Balancing the throttle with three fingers and inside palm while the starboard thumb pushes up and forward is not my cup of tea and mucks up my throttle control too much.

I am kind of used to them now but the change back to the Jap spec would be preferable. I still mess up the horn and the 2 button hazards are daft.

It seems a bit of a shame to be honest. The different switches is one of the things that keeps them apart from the rest.

I did however struggle for a while when I got my 1200 three and a half years ago. The horn button being the biggest difficulty, I still get an embarrassing parp! every now and then. :eek:

I guess it's a market lead industry, so you have to pander to the market if you want them to buy your products. :nenau

Still a shame though.

The next incarnation of the 1200gs will probably have conventional USD forks as well I suspect :rolleyes:

Val.

I read somewhere recently that BMWs official line for the new (Jap) style switchgear is that there are so many accessories to be mounted on the grips that there isn't enough room for the left/right/cancel paddles.

Surely can't be a change in direction from complaining owners, can it? :nenau

Arrrrgghh BMW is going back to original way? Just when I got used to the new system!!! Grrrrrr :mad:

I read somewhere recently that BMWs official line for the new (Jap) style switchgear is that there are so many accessories to be mounted on the grips that there isn't enough room for the left/right/cancel paddles.

Surely can't be a change in direction from complaining owners, can it? :nenau

But this means the addition of a hazard warning switch, so they have only saved one button.
After all these years I don't see BWM changing their mind due to customer input. But you never know :nenau

Back
Top Bottom