F800GS for tarmac only

fixinbones

Just got rid of my GS and I'm already thinking about replacing it with another bike for two up. I was thinking about an R12R but the seating position seems a bit cramped for my 6'2" body. I really like the legroom provided by my GS and megamoto. With that in mind I am seriously considering a Duc Multistrada. The other day while at the dealer i sat on the F800GS. It had that nice familiar roominess that my R12GS and megamoto had. Its also a bit lighter which I wanted. What do you all think about an F800GS for tarmac only (silly?), mostly back roads with occasional highway stuff. BTW, not interested in another R12GS or an F650GS. I think its between the F800GS and the Multistrada.

Hey fixinbones,

Had a K1200GT earlier this year and wanted a change from BMs so bought a 1 year old 1100S Multi Ducati. Only 3k miles, brilliant red, got the panniers, new screen, chain oiler all ready to fit. Lasted 1/2 hour at home before taken back in dealer van, wouldn't start. After 1 week came back, used for 4 days, nearly stranded twice and back in a van to the dealer for 5 weeks. Then agreed with dealer to take back and they paid back all monies for everything. Straight down to local BM dealer, test ride on 800GS and deal done.

What have I learnt? Multi great to ride, great sound, poor seat and screen, I only wish it didn't have the electrical gremlins as the bike dynamics are really good. Local Duc dealer really good and did the honorable thing. BM also great to ride, not bad sound, poor seat and screen, and it still goes well after 1600 miles and I wouldn't swap it for anything else now. Yep a few known probs but will be sorted by dealer. Recent MCN report states 50%ish Ducs suffer electrical faults.

All a matter of personal opinion but I thought the Duc had slightly greater presence but I wouldn't put my money there again. This site has plenty of advice for screen and seat mods, in the UK I've had seat completely redone by LICS who put a gel membrane insert in place and the transformation is amazing. I'm told the GS is good 2-up by the 'other half' after a recent trip to Spain, and I would definitely know if it caused problems!

My 2 pennyworth anyway, so hope this helps.

Cheers. :)

FixinBones, purely out of interest can i ask why you wouldn't be interested in the F650GS? Looks? Not big enough? Some believe it is a better bike for road use than the F800GS.

I've only used my F650 on tarmac and it's fantastic. That said i have never ridden an F800.

I think its between the F800GS and the Multistrada.

I made the choice between Multistrada and F800GS, I use the 800 GS for 99,5% tarmac and could not be better, if you go for 2 up you have to ride both bikes with 2 up to be sure how they handle and what you think about it, Multistrada might do 2 up better. 800 GS is more than excellent for 1 up on tarmac.

traded in my '06 GT on a 800 GS

After "crushing" my leg on my GT...my fault...not the bikes...I need something a bit lighter. Rode both bikes. Being an "aging hippie" I decided to go with the 800 for the extra braking. At my age..I need all the help I can get!!
The 650 is a very very nice bike. If I did not have a trade in and was just buying the bike outright...it probably would have been the 650. Both bikes are...wonderful to drive.

Mr. Pete--->

Just got rid of my GS and I'm already thinking about replacing it with another bike for two up. I was thinking about an R12R but the seating position seems a bit cramped for my 6'2" body. I really like the legroom provided by my GS and megamoto. With that in mind I am seriously considering a Duc Multistrada. The other day while at the dealer i sat on the F800GS. It had that nice familiar roominess that my R12GS and megamoto had. Its also a bit lighter which I wanted. What do you all think about an F800GS for tarmac only (silly?), mostly back roads with occasional highway stuff. BTW, not interested in another R12GS or an F650GS. I think its between the F800GS and the Multistrada.

That's why I found you lukring on AdvRider in the F650/800GS thread ;)

I'd say hang on and have a look at the F800R, I'm guessing it should be announced in the next month or two. I'm hoping it turns out something like this -

0509bmwf800r1364419wm4.jpg

That's why I found you lukring on AdvRider in the F650/800GS thread ;)

I'd say hang on and have a look at the F800R, I'm guessing it should be announced in the next month or two. I'm hoping it turns out something like this -

0509bmwf800r1364419wm4.jpg

That would be a nice little toy!!!

Saw a report on the recent Intermot Show in Cologne and it contained a couple of pictures of a GS850 in Supermoto Trim (17" wheels etc) by Wunderlich. Might be worth investigation.

Saw a report on the recent Intermot Show in Cologne and it contained a couple of pictures of a GS850 in Supermoto Trim (17" wheels etc) by Wunderlich. Might be worth investigation.

That sounds interesting. Any links?

so tha tarmac only bike gets lower hp than the 'offroad version' :nenau

Like the look of that f800r, might have to get one of those to go alongside the dakar :bounce1

Fixin, Woody's in denver can do a 19" wheel for the 800GS. I've talked to Chris about doing one. You would end up with the same tyres :beerjug: as the 12GS assuming the width is ok with the 800 forks.

Hi
I measured the 1200gs 19" front wheel 3 months ago,it will slide right in on the 800gs,only difference is the shaft diameter,you need a new shaft and new bearings.
fishburger

I've been in contact with them over the last couple of weeks trying to get a set of wheels. It seems BWM aren't selling the hubs to anyone, so they can't build the wheels. I wonder if they need them for the 800R ;).
Central wheel in the uk will rebuild my current wheels into what I want but I want my bike to swop from off road to road trim when the fancy takes me. So I'm just waiting to see when the hubs become available.:nenau
SO if anyone see's a crashed one that the wheels might be sold off, please please give me a shout. :thumb2

I wonder if Dorsoduro wheels will fit :mmmm

Dear Fixinbones,
Had F650 for 12 years, great bike. Replaced with F800GS in July, despite build problems could not be happier with the 800, it is superb. If you ride 2 up look to protecting the pillions left leg from the exhaust. TT do a great little protector that works and screws onto the little wire hoop. If you ride a lot in the wet maybe a hugger to protect bike / pillion from crud, the powerbronze one does what it says on the box. Happy and safe biking.

Back
Top Bottom