Pre load

adv_gs800

I'm aware that there is a preload adjuster on my F800GS, and I even know where the 'tool' is to adjust it. I have read TWO magazine this month, and it discusses the benefits of pre-load for handling and cornering...

When I got my bike, the dealer set it around half way round, but I have no real idea how to set it or adjust it when I put on panniers etc...

Does anyone have any rules of thumb, or setting techniques for the preload?

Thanks

Ian

The best way is to use something like the following as a guideline.

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/Guides/motorcycleSuspensionSetup.htm

There's a lot of info out there, all basically the same.
Obviously, some are talking about different bikes/uses. I don't know what the correct travel/sag figures are for the GS800, but the method of arriving at the correct pre-load and sag don't alter much.

My GS800 is still on the factory settings, but being a FB I'm going to have a tinker once I've got used to the bike and am confident that I'll be able to 'feel' whether it's right or not.

Found this old thread and wondered if anyone could shed any more light on this?

The handbook says for 1 rider of 85kg, the knob should be wound all the way to the left (anticlockwise). When I bought the bike it was set about a turn or so to the right.

Now that I've fiddled with it it just doesn't seem to feel the same. Probably just my imagination, but if anyone can offer any advice, gratefully received. I'm about 75kg, I regularly carry a 5'4" skinny pillion, and have panniers and top box.

How do you set yours? Do you adjust it to suit everytime you load up or take a pillion? And most importantly: Why do I insist on fiddling with everything instead of leaving alone?!

rear shock adjustment

I go about it as follows:
Turn wheel all the way left, like book says. That's your setting for just you on the bike.
Then sit on the bike, with your feet up on the steps (lean against something to not topple over or let someone steady the bike) and let someone measure the height of the bike. Now fully load the bike, including pillion, and adjust the preload until you get the same height. You're done. Also adjust the damping with the screw, turn in fully, and turn 1 3/4 out. AND don't forget to bring up rear tyre pressure to compensate for load. I put 2.8 bar in (normally 2.4bar).
Have a nice weekend!!

Back
Top Bottom