Gone over to the darkside

Davel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I took the GS into Chester HD yesterday and traded her in for a Fatbob.

What have I done? Heart over head decision again.:blast

Nearly dropped the new bike on a diesel spill at the M56 roundabout (Helsby). The back wheel went out but the bike corrected itself.

Parked her up in the garage next to my car and threaded the extension lead behind the car and then plugged in the optimate to the bike.

Pulling the car out last night, I could hear a strange noise and stopped just in time. The extension lead had wrapped itself over the towbar.:eek:

It really is a completely different type of bike. The riding position is much lower, so you miss being able to look over the cars in front.

The mirrors are nowhere near as good. No heated grips, no computer, no gear indicator and no ABS.

She's an ex-demonstrator with 1300 miles on the clock and pretty stunning - well I think so anyway.

It's an itch that had to be scratched and I probably will return to a 1300 GS next time.

No tassles on ther bars yet and it's a bit cold for chaps!:ymca

Do I have to leave the forum now?:nenau

Attachments

• IMG_1001.jpg
    IMG_1001.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 900
Nice one Dude :thumb

You could always pick up a cheapo 1100/1150 if u still want the big trailie experience. Multiple bike syndrome isn't a crime i'm glad :D

I keep thinking about this but would go for a Fatboy :thumb2 Great looking bike - have fun :beerjug:

Nearly dropped the new bike on a diesel spill at the M56 roundabout (Helsby). The back wheel went out but the bike corrected itself.

Pulling the car out last night, I could hear a strange noise and stopped just in time. The extension lead had wrapped itself over the towbar.:eek:
You must have had the 'force' with you Davel :D

Nice bike mate :thumb2

Its a nice itch to scratch!! have had a few Harleys, a Road King a Road Glide then the last one a Fatboy. Fat boy was fun and easy to ride.They have to have loud pipes or whats the point.I loved the reflections of lights on all the chrome when ridden at night.i loved the way you felt you were Riding a Juke box!! Great fun and very different from the GS.I may get a fatboy again when I grow up!!:D

I had a Night Rod Special for a few months but really couldn't get comfortable on it! Every dip jolted your spine and the riding position was just too clamp like for anything more than a short ride..

This one is more comfortable and, much as I really would have preferred a Fatboy from a looks point of view etc, the advice in the showroom is that the Fatbob is a bit nimbler, nippier and suitable for everyday use. That's if you'd use those words to describe any Harley. I think that there's alot more chrome on a Fatboy too!

This ones an ex-demo, so was also quite a bit cheaper.

The cissy bar is detachable and won't be used other than taking my daughter as pillion, or for fastening the luggage to.

I had a Night Rod Special .

Night Rod , thats it , I remember now. Lovely lloking things they are. Saw some really nice tricked up ones at the big Harley Rally in Cannes earlier this year.

They look great but the riding position is odd. rode a standard V-Road briefly just after they first came out.

Attachments

• Night rod.jpg
    Night rod.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 770
Exactly that one and colour!

:thumb2

- oh and the rain came up over the front wheel and straight at your face / visor.

The guy, who bought it from me, rode it all the way from here to Dartford.

I bet they had to lift him off it and straighten him up again.

Took my daughter out on the Fatbob today and she loved it. She didn't like the GS at all, although she liked the K1200 GT before that.

The Harley definitely has that something about it.

Not as nippy as a GS. Not as good visibility as the GS and not as comfortable. Nor does it have the ABS, gear indicator etc etc - but, and it's a big but, it has real character and the vibrations grow on you.

The engine is a peach and the sound is addicitve, even with the standard pipes. It makes the hairs on the back of your neck stick up and I find myself listening to the engine at every opportunity.

Sure, unless your in first or sixth (when the little green light comes on) you might not know or remember what gear your in - but it doesn't really matter, there's just so much torque there,

I think that this could be the start of a long relationship.

I certainly hope so!

Welcome to UKGSer Harley chapter:thumb

There are quite a few of us now:D

Shouldn't we have our own section?

:thumb

When I take my Ulysses in for servicing at Oxford HD they always give me a demo Harley to ride. I had a 103cu inch Fatboy the first time with open pipes!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus H Christ it was loud!!!!!! And bloody quick too!!!!!!!! feckin awesome!!!!! The last time I was there, they gave me a Heritage Softail, a lovely bike! I can see the whole purpose of Harleys now, (not the leather and fringes, but the riding experience), comfortable cruisers, nothing to prove, can take loads of luggage too! I think I'd like a Road King with a tourpak for SWMBO though or a Glide!

You really have to try them for yourself!!!

Great Bike Davel, Had a blast on a demo recently and loved everything about it except for the forwards but I am probably just used to the mids on my Streetbob.
Enjoy your new ride!

Don't be bashfull.
I'm sure there are more than a few of us who have "gone agricultural" as well. :eek:

413629362_pNAMa-M.jpg

Here's my last one nicknamed The Moo Glide or Fat Cow.:ymca

I made the mistake of having engine work done on it by a Kent shop
aligned to a rather notorious US based bike gang.

413652281_TZFjA-M.jpg

Within two weeks of getting it back it was gone.... :eek:

Then the fun began with Norwich Union...
"You do realise that we pay out the value at time of theft"

413631896_QtPkM-M.jpg

Knowing this I had come forearmed with a letter from the dealer,
who said that if they could, they would pay me £5K more than list,
as it was a limited edition in demand.
:monkeypizThe cadaverous insurance assessor's jaw dropping, was a joy to behold.

Result! - A new Triumph Trophy 1200 and I never looked back @ Milwaukee!

Please just make sure you have it secured AND insured. :beerjug:

Truth be told - I still rather miss it tho.:cool:

Rumble Free & Enjoy...:thumb2

If KTM can have a section why can't we? :nenau

We could call it the YMCA section :ymca2

Hell why not? :D

I'm on the hunt for another HD - but I plan to use mine all year round like the GS. That means there's no point at all in getting a nice, shiny new one. But, despite the dreadful HD build qual, there seem to be very few ratty tatties about.

Back
Top Bottom