If one, hypothetically, was looking for a Hardly...

MMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
...Ableson, but wanted a proper, used bike, not some blinged-up gin-palace on wheels, where would one look?

Thinking about a Road King, but one with a few miles, tatty's fine assuming all is well mechanically - but can't find anything to fit the bill.

Cheers

Mark:beerjug:

FXDX-T dyna glide sport

twin discs up front, adjustable suspension, luggage, small fairing

Stumpy

try the Electraglide sport that preceded the Road king they look good and ride well and will be much cheaper!!

Attachments

• 12190_0_1_2_flhs%201340%20electra%20glide%20sport_Image%20credits%20-%20Terry%20Kugler.jpg
    12190_0_1_2_flhs%201340%20electra%20glide%20sport_Image%20credits%20-%20Terry%20Kugler.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 603
or............kawacruiser vn800:cool: much better ride plus you dont have to wear leather fingerless gloves with jap customs :ymca:ymca :thumb

got a cheap scuffy 6000 miler in the garden:thumb:thumb

:hide

go for the RK, smashin bike, if you treat as such and not a posemobile

I would start by joining the HDRCGB

The Harley Davidson Riders Club of Great Britain is the oldest independant HD owning club in the UK. In contrast to HOG it seems to be based around people who love HDs but not the whole image / motor co. corporate thing. They use independant dealers and do a lot of work on the bikes themselves.

You can find them here: http://www.harley-davidson-riders.org.uk/

Make contact with your local group and see what is for sale on the site. Not unlike UKGSer for HD riders :thumb2

The Harley Davidson Riders Club of Great Britain is the oldest independant HD owning club in the UK. In contrast to HOG it seems to be based around people who love HDs but not the whole image / motor co. corporate thing. They use independant dealers and do a lot of work on the bikes themselves.

You can find them here: http://www.harley-davidson-riders.org.uk/

Make contact with your local group and see what is for sale on the site. Not unlike UKGSer for HD riders :thumb2

Cheers Muttley - I'll give 'em a go. I was a member when I had the Tour Glide, so I really ought to catch up with them again.

Thanks!

Mark

Its also worth checking out dealers used stock where you can sometimes find an off-season bargain,a friend of mine bought a 57 plate, six month old,4000 mile, Electraglide Standard in March this year from Edinburgh Harley for £9000 which included the balance of warranty.

Also don't forget Fleabay...last December I bought this Ultraclassic Electraglide, for £3500 less than it cost 6 months earlier:

384970615_yjisW-M.jpg

Turned out be mint, well maintained, and came with Pannier inner bags, Crash-helmets and a spare pair of pipes (loud!).

Have just bathed it in ACF-50 and planning to use it this winter.

Simon

Also don't forget Fleabay...last December I bought this Ultraclassic Electraglide, for £3500 less than it cost 6 months earlier.

Have just bathed it in ACF-50 and planning to use it this winter.

Nice! Be interested to know how you get on with it in the winter. I reckon ACF should sort out any corrosion issues, then it's just a case of hiding behind the fairing :thumb

After owning a Sportster, Heritage Softail Classic, Dyna Widglide & latterly an Electra Glide Ultra Classic (mobile jukebox) the Road King (not RK Classic)would be my choice:thumb

Nice! Be interested to know how you get on with it in the winter. I reckon ACF should sort out any corrosion issues, then it's just a case of hiding behind the fairing :thumb

I'm hoping so. Spent an hour or so this afternoon spraying it and using a cloth to spread it where I could. Not sure whether I have got enough ACF 50 on the bike, especially on the cylinders which have very deep cooling fins (esp compared to my GS1150).

Has anyone here got experience of this/advice on how to apply it? Keen to learn before rather than after corrosion hits!

Simon

My '08 Dyna Super Glide Custom is now ACF50 coated! Still used regularly, but with a VERY close eye on the corrosive effects of salt.
Also still using the K1200 LT for longer runs, (also ACF'd) and the mad TDR 250 goes legal as soon as the insurance certificate arrives so's I can add to monobrow Darling's coffers.:mad:

My '08 Dyna Super Glide Custom is now ACF50 coated! Still used regularly, but with a VERY close eye on the corrosive effects of salt.
Also still using the K1200 LT for longer runs, (also ACF'd) and the mad TDR 250 goes legal as soon as the insurance certificate arrives so's I can add to monobrow Darling's coffers.:mad:

How and where are you applying the ACF?

I met a bloke in Glasgow a few years back who commuted on his Sportster all year round. This bike was in mint condition and he told me all he did was every night when he got home was hose it down with cold water and then give it a good clean every weekend....

(he worked as a car valet for one of the big car dealers so probably had access to large ammounts of weapons grade cleaners:cool:)

It can be done

but if you get lazy it will all go down hill very quickly and you'll never get the finish back to the same level :eek

I'm just too lazy to get the hoze pipe out every time I want to ride, and I just don't enjoy being frozen anyway :ymca

I love the heated grips on the GS :augie

Back
Top Bottom