And they're off

Aidan1150

Nice but unfortunate husband.
Mod Squad
Reaction score
As things in the Irish economy (north and south) are getting progressively worse, once again we see our young folk head for the exit.

My daughter Natasha was made redundant three weeks ago from Mercedes Benz in Craigavon. Lots of her friends, especially young lads in the building trades have already gone she says, America and Australia being the main destinations it seems.

Yesterday morning she was on a flight to San Francisco to give it a go out there. I don't know when she will return. Can't say that I blame her though, she is only 23, is single and has nothing at all to lose. If she is successful in the next green card lottery it may be quite a while before she comes home.

Hopefully things won't get as bad as they were twenty years ago, but it doesn't look good at the moment. :(

Sorry to hear that Aidan, I strongly believe in close families.

Gordon Brown and his clan have been severely criticised for not putting away cash in the good times for use in the bad times - I fear that Ireland (and many others) are guilty of the same mistake.

The difference is, after many years of struggle, Ireland deserved a 'splurge'.

Steve

I don't know when she will return...........Hopefully things won't get as bad as they were twenty years ago. :(

What can I say Aidan - I do hope we don't go back to the 80's. Two of my brothers left for NY then - still there. Hope your wee girl finds a good life but it would be nice for her not to HAVE to bail out to find it.
Putting a girl through college and she graduates this summer - possibly educating for export. :mad:

Thanks Steve. :thumb2

Putting a girl through college and she graduates this summer - possibly educating for export. :mad:

I hope not Gerry, but it kind of looks that way alright. :(

I'm all for the young ones getting away and experiencing life to the full in far away places, especially the girls, they will have plenty of time for babies etc in their late twenties or early thirties. It's just a pity that they seem to have no choice in the matter at the moment. I suppose all these things are cyclical though and it will come round again. I just hope it's soon. :eek:

My daughter Natasha was made redundant three weeks ago from Mercedes Benz in Craigavon.

Sorry to hear that Aidan

I remember you saying how much she was enjoying it and the wee bonus of a ride in a Maybach.

Stumpy

I'm all for the young ones getting away and experiencing life to the full in far away places, especially the girls, they will have plenty of time for babies etc in their late twenties or early thirties.

Stop the lights, my daughter is in her late 20's - she went back to college as a mature student - are you rushing me into being a :rob grandad.
Not sure I'm ready for that yet.....what's that wee smell....wee????

Sorry to hear that Aidan

I remember you saying how much she was enjoying it and the wee bonus of a ride in a Maybach.

Stumpy

Thanks Andy. She loved the job with MB and but for the downturn would have been happy to stay there, but the sales of prestige cars seems to be suffering all over Ireland and the UK. I'm sure that some of your friends in the trade are facing tough times too.

Aidan - I was made redundant at 22. I had an extra year as an apprentice as I had to take 18 months off with Cancer. I had about a year on full money before it was "box 5 fresh claims"......
In hindsight it was the best thing that ever happened to me and like your daughter I took off to do some travelling and see what the world was all about.

I came back 2 years later revitalised and keen as mustard having had an absolute ball.

She'll have a great time:thumb2

AndyT:cool:

Aiden, I know you will miss her, but she's gotta try it.

Either she gets to see things many of us never will never see and comes back home to mummy and daddy a better person, or she makes it out there and lives happy ever after.

Either way, she's got 2 great parents to advise her........... be proud of her mate, she's got the luck of the :aidan on her side.

Aidan

I wish your lass well and I'm sure it will be a great experience for her and open her heart to all that travel and other cultures offer.

Like many on here, I lived thru the 80's and remember well when this place was a complete basket case. I've struggled to believe that the shower of incompetants that we have as political leaders has allowed that small area of our economy that we actually could control to evaporate in what seems a puff of smoke and in doing so seemingly condemn us to a re-run of those dark days.

I know its a bit different up North (not much though!) but it disgusts me that our lot down here have squandered the riches of the past 10 years as they have instead of putting some of of those gains aside for the downturn that was inevitable. Its quite sickening that the cost of these policies are - as always - being paid dearly for by ordinary families in the way your story relates.

V

Aiden, I know you will miss her, but she's gotta try it.

Thanks BS. I'm happy for her to be away out in the world doing her own thing, but it's a pity that circumstances in the economy have forced her hand. A lot of other parents all over this country will be feeling the same.

Unfortunately, chances are that GerryC's daughter will take the same route next summer. I hope we don't end up having a brain drain like we did 20 years ago but it looks like it is coming. :(

:aidan

Sorry to hear that Aidan.

My eldest boy has just been laid off in Lurgan. Moved up North and trying to get a job. The younger one moved out at Christmas to Chamonix and is working, getting good money, making new friends and having a ball. I was worried sick thinking what could happen. Still do, but I let them know that I'm always here, just like I'm sure you do. Hope Natasha does well.

Aidan,

i really feel for you. our lad is only a stones throw from us - but it dont stop me missing him!
The best of luck to Natasha and i hope that being away is a good experience, but that she eventually settles, back home and close to you. ;)

Going away is the best thing young people can do. It's the 'making' of them :thumb2

And sure she won't be away long. She'll have to come back & look after you in your dotage :rob

:aidan

And sure she won't be away long. She'll have to come back & look after you in your dotage :rob

Much though I hate to admit it, you are probably right there. :rob

Don't get me wrong here, I think it's great for her to get away and live it up for a few years. It's the fact that she had no other real choice but to go that is unfortunate.

very sorry to hear that aidan,it is a sad reflection on the state of things when our young are heading for the boat again

hop she gets on well and things improve and she can get work at home soon

Going away is the best thing young people can do. It's the 'making' of them :thumb2

Something to look forward to
When i was a young lad went to work in the good aul U.S of A
for a year, also worked in Aus, Holland and a good few years
with them heathen's in London...
and look at what a well adjusted fella i turned out ta be....:D:D:D

Thats a tough one Aidan, i know how much you dote on Natasha and will miss her :(. Chin up big ballix ;)!!

Back
Top Bottom