Why would you ever let him out again?

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I hope I am not going too far here, but why would this guy ever be let of jail?

Man who killed two tourists in crash gets eight years
Thu, Nov 06, 2008

A DRUNKEN father of three who crashed his car into two French tourists who had only just arrived in Ireland, causing them catastrophic injuries which killed them instantly, has been given eight an eight-year sentence.

John Cash (27), who had previous convictions for dangerous driving and had been banned from driving for 20 years in 2007, told Judge Katherine Delahunt: "I am truly sorry, I will never drive again."

Cash, of Sundale Green, Tallaght, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to dangerous driving causing the deaths of Martine Talon (54) and Martine Liotard (53) at Kylemore Road, Ballyfermot on May 16th, 2007.

He also pleaded guilty to having no insurance on the same date.

Ms Talon's adult sons, Benjamin and Vincent, told Judge Delahunt that her four grandchildren still expected her to return from her trip with presents and ask if she is with the angels. They said she still had much to live for and her death had created an enormous emptiness for her family.

Cash, who drank 14 cans of cider and a bottle of whiskey before driving the car, said he prayed for the families every night and would do so for the rest of his life.

He said he was sorry for the "hardship and heartache" he had caused and said he was getting help for his substance abuse problems in prison.

Judge Delahunt expressed her condolences to the two families and said she hoped the passing of sentence would bring an element of closure to them.

She told Cash the deaths were "a result of your getting behind the wheel utterly intoxicated and having no regard to your history or that you were not allowed to drive".

She noted, however, that he was a relatively young man with a family and one who needed help with rehabilitation.

Judge Delahunt imposed an eight-year sentence on the two charges of dangerous driving causing death and a concurrent six-month term for driving without insurance. She banned Cash from driving for 15 years.

Garda Feidhlim McKenna told Seán Gillane, prosecuting, that the two women had arrived in Ireland earlier that day on a holiday with more then 50 of their co-workers from southeast France.

The two women left their hotel in Bluebell with a friend just before 11pm for an after-dinner walk along the Kylemore Road.

The women's friend saw a silver Lexus driving at speed in their direction.

It hit a wall, travelled across to their side of the road and hit her friends.

Garda McKenna said analysis of the crash scene revealed Cash had been driving at between 66.5km/h and 87km/h in a 50km/h zone in favourable driving conditions.

Garda Owen O'Rourke arrived at the scene shortly after the impact having followed the Lexus which he spotted speeding earlier. He saw one body in front of the car and found Cash in the back seat of the car. Cash gave him a false name and smelled of alcohol.

Cash was arrested and told gardaí that he had been a back-seat passenger in the car and named another person as the driver.

He refused to give urine and blood samples within the legal three-hour limit.

Cash later admitted to being the driver and told gardaí he had bought the Lexus at about 8pm that evening for €2,000. He told gardaí he had been drinking "a lot" that day and said he was sorry for the families.

Garda McKenna said Cash had 27 previous convictions including seven convictions for dangerous driving, three for drunken driving and other road traffic offences. He had been banned from driving for 20 years in 2007.

Erwan Mill-Arden SC said it was "an appalling human tragedy he will have to live with for the rest of his life".

He said Cash had drunk 14 cans of cider, a bottle of whiskey and taken numerous Prozac tablets on the day in an attempt to self-medicate his depression and had little recall of the incident.

© 2008 The Irish Times

John Cash (27), who had previous convictions for dangerous driving and had been banned from driving for 20 years in 2007, told Judge Katherine Delahunt: "I am truly sorry, I will never drive again."

I saw the report on the late RTE news last night. The fecker should never have been on the road at all. :spitfire

Judge Delahunt has erred very badly on this one I think. What redeeming factors stopped her from jailing him for twice as long? :nenau

Judge Delahunt ..............She banned Cash from driving for 15 years.

So will the 15years ban start after the 19years left of the first ban from 2007.:nenau

walking waste of space:spitfire

there needs to be some serious thinking done about what should be done to repeat offenders in our society. I vote for an island to dump them on far enough from any mainland and leave them to fend it out amongst themselves as no cost to the tax payer.

In a few generations they will be one of the top sporting nations in the world like the aussies......

I saw the report on the late RTE news last night. The fecker should never have been on the road at all. :spitfire

Judge Delahunt has erred very badly on this one I think. What redeeming factors stopped her from jailing him for twice as long? :nenau

listening to Matt Cooper last night, apparently the max sentence for dangerous driving causing death is 10years, so the sentence was the high in relation to max amount she could give. 10 years ago he would have gotten less!!!

heard something a few weeks ago that I thought odd.

€80 fine for speeding in Ireland
€150 fine for dropping chewing gum

I honestly think the fine for speeding should be so high that it deters people from driving fast. I'm no angel, but if I had to pay a grand for speeding you can bet I'd take it easier.

I'd bet everything I own that at least 50% of people who have left some of the GSer events I've attended have been well over the limit when they set off on a Sunday morning . :augie

:potkettle

I'd bet everything I own that at least 50% of people who have left some of the GSer events I've attended have been well over the limit when they set off on a Sunday morning . :augie

yeah but how does this relate to the guy in the article on a 15 year ban, no insurance and so over the limit its a wonder he could drive let alone walk...:nenau

....he drank 14 cans of cider and a bottle of whiskey....

i imagine a lot of people are over the limit on the morning after a relatively light night of drinking as it takes 15hours for alcohol to pass through the body....

Judge Delahunt expressed her condolences to the two families and said she hoped the passing of sentence would bring an element of closure to them.

She noted, however, that he was a relatively young man with a family and one who needed help with rehabilitation.

The sentences above say it all to me, "Fcuk the victims now how can I help this poor accused":spitfire:spitfire:spitfire

If it were my family member he'd killed I would like to ask the Judge just HTF she thinks a 4year jail sentence per life taken is likely to bring closure:spitfire:spitfire:spitfire

The charge for killing someone when drunk driving should be murder and not dangerous driving. Then perhaps those who drink and drive might realise that the vehicle they are driving is a weapon when they do not have the capacity to control it. i know that the bravado of the drunk does not thhink that way but the charge of murder sits much more heavily than dangerous driving.
the comment by his SC that he would have to live with having killed those two ladies for the rest of his life also rings hollowas he has so many counts of driving offences before and was banned at the time he was driving.
We need to get real in this country about 1st offenders and send a much stronger message.

Spear Ruler

The charge for killing someone when drunk driving should be murder and not dangerous driving. Then perhaps those who drink and drive might realise that the vehicle they are driving is a weapon when they do not have the capacity to control it. i know that the bravado of the drunk does not thhink that way but the charge of murder sits much more heavily than dangerous driving.

Spear Ruler

Again,listening to Matt Cooper!!, the charge used to be manslaughter but was very hard to convict someone and prove it. But with dangerous driving causing death, its much simpler, to an extent. As in, your were drunk, driving dangerously and you killed someone, end of. As for murder, they would have to prove that he set out with the intent to actually kill someone, which he didn't do. Set out to kill someone, that is. yes, the end result was that he did kill, but not deliberately. They should increase the max penalty for the charge that is already in existence, driving dangerously causing death, then at least you may feel that justice was done, if say he got 20yrs.

what about the Sat. ride outs, watching some of them you would really say they where locked, and as for the pic;s we see of the off road ride outs !;):)

:beer:

:popcorn

Back
Top Bottom