How Much Use?

Koopz

Reaction score
I have purchased a new 800 and kitted it out for the RTW trip organised by Kudu leaving in June next year. It now has 800 miles on the clock and after an oil leak fixed during the first service is now going well.

My question is how much should I use it before I go. Initially I was considering wrapping up now and put an additional say 2000 miles on in April/May, changing the oil and going, but is this the way to go?

I dont want to bin it, wear it out, or put miles on it unnecessarily or come to that additional servicing but I want to try to ensure the bugs are ironed out!

Any thoughts (other than I should have a new Tenerre) or advice welcomed

S

Just keep on riding it.... if anythings gonna go its gonna go in the next 8k or so i reckon.

:topic Nothing to do with the bike but just to say I did a trip with kudu last year and you'll have fun, a good bunch of guys enjoy..... Jealous.

I would want to get the mileage upto about 5k... and at that point all niggles should be resolved, then service it and change the chain and sprockets... put steal sprockets on and an decent x ring chain. Also, when putting the miles in do a fair few with the luggage you will be carrying on the trip, so you get a good feel for how it is going to be next year.

I did a london to Sydney trip on a KTM with only a thousand miles on it annd wished i had a bit more... am currently hoping to leave for a London to Cape Town trip in December (if i can sort a few things out) on my 800.

Have a great time learning the bike and even better on your journey.

I'd ride it as much as possible too, with the caveat that you get somewhere near to the 6000 mile service and have it done before you go. Then you won't be worried about it needed a service during the trip. And get new tyres on just before you go.

Back
Top Bottom