Can't avoid M-Ways

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
Quest I running V8 City Nav

I have the Quest set to avoid M-Ways (Highways I think the unit calls them) yet when asking it to route (set to quickest time, not shortest route) it will still direct me onto M-Ways :confused:

Am I missing a trick somewhere?

Andres

Avoidance

Quickest time generally is motorways. If you completely want to miss the motorway i'd suggest putting in some via points into your route.

Quickest time generally is motorways. If you completely want to miss the motorway i'd suggest putting in some via points into your route.

But shouldn't it work out the quickest route whilst avoiding M-Ways if you set them up in avoidances :nenau

I take your point but it seems a bit faffy to have to set via points in the unit when all I want to do is get from A to B without going on a M-Way.

Andres

Can you change the speed setting for motorways down to 2 mph? that way they will be ignored as they are no longer fastest.

Can you change the speed setting for motorways down to 2 mph? that way they will be ignored as they are no longer fastest.

I've had a look but not that I can see :nenau

You can play around with the average speeds in Mapsource but I don't think that would help :nenau

What I can't get my head around is that surely if you tell then unit to avoid 'Highways' then surely that's just what it should do, without having to do some sort of 'work around'...................

Andres

http://www.elsinga.net/quest-settings.html

If you haven't already got this site.

I'd think that the "avoidances" are not hard and fast and if you ask for fastest it'll disregard the "avoid" highways, as the motorway will be fastest. Guess that's the way Garmin set it up.

Thanks John (and everybody else who replied) :beerjug:

This, I think, is the pertinent bit:

Note that these settings are "try to avoid", and are ignored if it significantly reduces travel time or distance, or on very long routes (especially the avoid highway setting).

And it's on 'very long routes' that I have the problem :mmmm looks like some sort of 'work around' is in order then, what a pain :(

Andres

You're right: it just doesn't seem to work (I have given up). I think it works a bit better if you choose shortest route rather than fastest route but I just did a test of Chester-Dover "avoiding highways"/ shortest route and although the route avoids the M56 and the M25, it goes straight down the M1. I always use Mapsource for this kind of thing and upload the route. I use the trick Keith suggested in Mapsource and calculate "fastest route" with selected types of road set artificailly slow. It works very well. You could also try (on unit or in Mapsource) pretending you are a bicycle. If you upload a route from Mapsource to unit, don't forget to switch off automatic recalculation.

You could also try (on unit or in Mapsource) pretending you are a bicycle. If you upload a route from Mapsource to unit, don't forget to switch off automatic recalculation.

I too wondered about pretending to be a bicycle :) And as for switching off auto recalc, you sir are a genious, that will answer some unrelated niggling problems I've had when transferring routes :thumb2

Andres

Here's my solution:

1. Mapsource: Edit/Preferences/Routing - set the "Road Selection" slider to the "Prefer Minor Roads" end of the spectrum. "Calculation Style" set to "shorter distance". "Try to Avoid" "toll roads" should be checked.
FWIW, my Driving Speeds are set as follows: Interstates - 75mph, Major HWYs 55mph, Other HWYs 40mph, Collector roads 27mph, Residential Streets 18mph (I live in London...).

2. Quest: Menu/Settings/OK/Route Setup/OK - Route Preference set to Shorter Distance, Calculation Method set to Better Route, Calculate Route for Car/Motorcycle, Avoidances: No Highways (motorways).

Generally, I find it easier to calculate the routes in Mapsource. That way you can mix and match calculation types and during multi-day trips you can calculate different legs to include or exclude motorways, depending on whether you're in a hurry to get somewhere/want to avoid large cities or want to take the scenic route somewhere. If you put a waypoint onto a motorway your can even include a short bit of motorway on a scenic route if you want to avoid going through an urban cornubation :).

Don't forget to recalculate a particular route if you've changed the Route Preferences and you want those changed preferences to be reflected in the route.

Achim

Have you tried,on the unit,Add Avoids?here you can set an avoid for a stretch of road or an area of the map.

Dave

Avoidances

Thanks John (and everybody else who replied) :beerjug:

This, I think, is the pertinent bit:

Note that these settings are "try to avoid", and are ignored if it significantly reduces travel time or distance, or on very long routes (especially the avoid highway setting).

And it's on 'very long routes' that I have the problem :mmmm looks like some sort of 'work around' is in order then, what a pain :(

Andres

Paneuropean posted an explanation for this problem a couple of years ago which echoes the "try to avoid" in the above quote. Garmin units willl not avoid motorways completely, especially in long routes if the resulting route, although more fun/interesting to ride and requested by the gps user, is outside of the unit's routing parameters.

Back
Top Bottom