Thanks GS, thanks a lot...

PatchGS1150

Reaction score
It's 6:00pm tonight..

Looking forward to a nice ride home after a long day in the office..

Start the bike..

Whoops, chain and padlock on the bike, stop the bike and turn it off, get off bike..

Go to start the bike once again, clickety, clickety, fecking clickety fecking click..

No go, no juice..

Clickety, clickety, clickety - you get the picture!

Telephone call to greenflag..

Seat off, tank undone, waiting..

Jump start.., greenflag guy tells me the battery is receiving charge..

Here we go..1 hour later

Trouble is, the bike is always plugged into an optimate IV..

What do you think? Just a dead/crap battery that needs replacing? Shouldn't the optimate correct this?

Any advice, warmly received

Attachments

• Bike broken.jpg
    Bike broken.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 383
My last battery lasted 13 months.... Get a new battery as its not worth risking being stuck again

What do you think? Just a dead/crap battery that needs replacing? Shouldn't the optimate correct this?

I think you should have bought the Advanced Optimate Platinum that realises the battery's dead and calls the local battery repair place, who come and fix it!

Now, are you sure it's the battery? Are you sure it's not something else, like a corroded starter solenoid contact or the chassis earth bond(or lack of) that's causing the problem?

how come you didnt just bump it? I know its hard but it is possible.. saves waiting around an hour for the rac dude

I think you should have bought the Advanced Optimate Platinum that realises the battery's dead and calls the local battery repair place, who come and fix it!

Now, are you sure it's the battery? Are you sure it's not something else, like a corroded starter solenoid contact or the chassis earth bond(or lack of) that's causing the problem?

Oh No! Don't start getting complicated! I'll need to look into this now!

Thanks mate..will check it out

It's 6:00pm tonight..

Looking forward to a nice ride home after a long day in the office..

Start the bike..

Whoops, chain and padlock on the bike, stop the bike and turn it off, get off bike..

Go to start the bike once again, clickety, clickety, fecking clickety fecking click..

No go, no juice..

Clickety, clickety, clickety - you get the picture!

Telephone call to greenflag..

Seat off, tank undone, waiting..

Jump start.., greenflag guy tells me the battery is receiving charge..

Here we go..1 hour later

Trouble is, the bike is always plugged into an optimate IV..

You have spoild that bike to much:D

Oh No! Don't start getting complicated! I'll need to look into this now!

Thanks mate..will check it out

Shame the RAC man didn't really. If I were you I'd head off to a dealers, or some place that knows about auto electrics.

I thought my 1150GS had a duff battery at 2 years old.

Checked the terminals and found they were a bit loose. Cleaned them up and applied some vaseline to the terminals before re-tightening.

30,000 miles and three years later battery is still good and no more problems.

If you ride all year check all of the heavy load connections, i.e. battery, starter, solenoid etc.

No the lights were most definitely off, ALL day. I came down four times during the day to have a fag and look at it lovingly!!:thumb

I think that is same think wrong with the parking No.8:mmmm
Muve the bike to the Parking No.9 and have one more go :comfort

I think that is same think wrong with the parking No.8:mmmm
Muve the bike to the Parking No.9 and have one more go :comfort

See now you are assuming...I didn't mention anything about bay 8, it just happened to be parked there while I waited. :)

It's actually bay 10 that's the problem

I thought my 1150GS had a duff battery at 2 years old.

Checked the terminals and found they were a bit loose. Cleaned them up and applied some vaseline to the terminals before re-tightening.

30,000 miles and three years later battery is still good and no more problems.

If you ride all year check all of the heavy load connections, i.e. battery, starter, solenoid etc.

Will do ths tomorrow:beerjug:

Batteries just pack up sometimes, after a 150mile trip stopped for a pee middle of nowhere wales back to bike and whe whe brrr, bump start and ok for rest off day new battery sorted when at home..

Its hard but doable, you need to properly jump on it just as you dump the clutch, ussually in something like 3rd or fourth ... and run like buggery ... if nothing else it will get you fitter! haha

Check for duff connections, but I'd guess your battery is dead.

Once a battery has been flattened you've gone done irrevocable damage that no charger will fix, so if it wasn't dead before it probably is now - sorry.

There's a load of cr*p talked about batteries and battery chargers (especially optimates) - they help, but they aren't magic - batteries just die sometimes.

I'm in a similar position with my 1100 - telltale ABS problems - I'm getting my wallet ready for a new (OEM) battery :rolleyes: .

Back
Top Bottom