1150ADV crash-bars on a standard 1150?

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I would like to put ADV crash-bars on my standard 1150.

Has anyone out there done this?

Will they fit?

Are there any other parts I need besides the crash bars.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Mike

What's the difference between a standard sump guard and one from a GSA?

Mike

What's the difference between a standard sump guard and one from a GSA?

Mike
The fitting is different where the bars mount at the base. The Adventure ones mount to the sump protection plate in a different manner.

Here's the non-Adventure bars.....

B0002801.png

The Adventure ones....

B0003351.png

There's also a bracket at the front of the Adv sump that you need to obtain & fit... Lots of info here

150.png

Ad crash bars

These will fit but you'll need to obtain the new bash plate and also different bracket and fixings. But DON'T DO IT, in the event of a crash at any thing but low speed the horizontal bit digs in the road and throws the whole bike over in a somersault and wrecks the screen, dash, etc. The bars did not distort very badly but the 10mm bolt holding this part onto the engine bent!!
and was a job to get it out and belive me bending a ten mm bolt takes some doing!. I fitted these against the advice of out top expert Mr S. and he was correct, this happend at 80 mph but if it just slid down the road nothing like the damage would have occured. They are good if it falls over but apart from this a no no. A pair of head lights approach £300 with out fitting!.
Dave ( I hate christmas ) GS roll on 2010!

Many thanks for all the replies.

Certainly given me something to think about!

Cheers

Mike

Heco and Becker bars do a good job, and at a fraction of the price.

I already have the standard GS crashbars on, but like the look of the GSA ones.

Mike

Attachments

• bikes 020 ukgser.jpg
    bikes 020 ukgser.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 182

Aha, that's why I have a spare piece of black bar left. I thought the previous owner (bought the crash bars on eBay) added an extre rear connector bar for the Adventure pannier rack :p Looks almost exactly the same :D

So I'll beter instal that piece to, before I get to use the bars and they fall off, orso :rolleyes:

Grtz, Philip!

I already have the standard GS crashbars on, but like the look of the GSA ones.

Mike
The only real practical advantage of the GSA bars over what you have at present is when it comes to working on the bike. The split allows them to be removed easier to get at the oil filter (the front cross-bar is removed, the four 10 mm bolts at the split removed and four bolts that hold the sump guard in place. Then the sump guard and the lower sections of the bars are removed in one).

The argument that one set of bars or another will perform better in a crash than another is largely academic; no two "offs" will be the same. The bars are really only intended to give protection in a static topple.

Any "off" that includes some forward momentum is going to cause damage. How fast the bike is moving, how it goes down, what it hits (or not) and a whole raft of other factors will determine how much damage will result.

Just fit the bars that you can live with.

. The split allows them to be removed easier to get at the oil filter (the front cross-bar is removed, the four 10 mm bolts at the split removed and four bolts that hold the sump guard in place. Then the sump guard and the lower sections of the bars are removed in one).

Or the other alternative - remove the 4 sump plate bolts and the 4 bolts that hold the sump to the bars. Leave the crashbars in place :D It is possible to get the filter removal tool in place

Or the other alternative - remove the 4 sump plate bolts and the 4 bolts that hold the sump to the bars. Leave the crashbars in place :D It is possible to get the filter removal tool in place
Agreed. My point is/was that it's a lot easier (less fiddly) job with the Adv bars and that's their only real advantage. If my bike wasn't fitted with Adv bars, I doubt that I'd change them just for that reason (but if I was selling a set I might be trumpeting their benefits ;) :D).

Don't do it ...

... because the Adv bars will fail at the weld on the Left side connection point. You can of course have them re-welded but it's a weak point that'll go without the need to drop the bike.

Mine are coming off on it's next visit to Kingston :cool:

Crash bars

... because the Adv bars will fail at the weld on the Left side connection point. You can of course have them re-welded but it's a weak point that'll go without the need to drop the bike.

I think mif youve had this problem they mus have been damaged before you had them mine have had a lot of ounishment and the welds certainly dident break. Their built to protect a panzer tank!.
dave ( I hate Christmas) GS roll on 2010

I think mif youve had this problem they mus have been damaged before you had them mine have had a lot of ounishment and the welds certainly dident break. Their built to protect a panzer tank!.
dave ( I hate Christmas) GS roll on 2010

Has someone been swapping the keys round on your keyboard Dave? :D

Back
Top Bottom