Castrol GTX "High Mileage"

MattW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This isn't a 'which oil' thread, honest :rolleyes: - just a quick question...

I recently bought some of the above noted 15W/40 for use in my 1100 cos it was the right grade and spec, however I didn't know about the 'seal conditioning' additives.

So, should I use this in my 1100 or should it be consigned to the mower?

That's it , nothing else, no which oil should I use or anything like that.....

ta
Matt

I used it for 12k in my 1100 and never had a problem

Castrol

Don't worry there's too much bullshit about oil the boxer engine aint a high stress jap 20000 job, a mates run his 1100RT on this stuff for the last 70.000
and no probs just ride it.
dave ( I hate christmas ) GS

Thanks Guys,
On reflection I think I'll be using it in my "high mileage" mower (it's due an oil change anyway). I'm still precious about my new 1100 :rolleyes: and for £20 I won't take the risk (even though it's probably non-existent). I'll get some 'normal' 20/50.

cheers
M

FWIW I use Unipart 20/50 'cos it meets the spec in the handbook (which the high mileage 'classic' 20/50 available from Halfords may not - it doesn't give a spec on the tin), it's cheap and the only readily available source of 20/50 I can get round here now that I can't get Duckhams Q since the Motorist Discount Centre chain went belly up (technical term).:)

What have you got against your poor lawn mower??

What have you got against your poor lawn mower??

I :love my mower, it's given years of sterling service :)

Believe me, name brand oil of any type will be a treat - it usually gets the dregs of whatever's left in the garage....

I think you're endowing the bike with a level of sensitivity that it just doesn't have. I wouldn't use GTX for the simple reason its complete overkill - waste of money. full of fancy additives that the bikes engine just doesn't require.

My strategy is to use a cheap generic oil thats the correct spec and change it every 3,000 miles instead of 6. For £20 I can do 3 oil changes. and have enough change for a pint. :beer:

any old oil

Main dealer castrol charts now state the recommended oil for the boxer is 20w/50. The most important thing is regular oil changes rather than viscosity.
I run 15w/40 in the winter and 20w/50 in summer and dont get through much...
ride the bike on the lawn and ditch the mower:p

Back
Top Bottom