DR-Z 400 E relaunched!

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
2465_DR-Z400E20yellow.jpg

About the most interesting discovery for me at the Bike Show was the relaunch of the DR-Z400E.

It appears to be exactly as it was - plastic tank, no indicators, speedo, old style exhaust, knobbly tyres etc etc (old library picture above)

£3999 - NOT on the road.

It appears that the 'S' model will not be coming back as it doesn't meet EU emissions guff - but Suzuki GB get around that by selling the 'E' model as an off-road bike. It seems that dealers can make the bike road legal (as I assume that there will be a price for that).

Greg

Greg, this is because it is probably on of the best trail bikes ever made... alongside the XR600, XR400 and the Serow.
I can only recommend this bike as almost bombproof, with enough horses to get the riders heart beating, without breaking their bank account.
I would definately buy another one, with electric start this time....... as I ain't as young as I was.......:augie

Timpo.

Brillant news, and one that may even tempt me to make a return to trail riding.

But I could never understand the logic is stopping production of it in the first place. :nenau

The engine is fantastic, but its even better when its rejetted. :green gri The suspension was a bit iffy to be fair, but on the whole it was suffice.

As Timpo has already said, this bike must rank as one of the best ever trail bikes. Over the years I have had my fair amount of trail bikes, 2 & 4 stroke, but the DRZ-E was the most enjoyable. :clap

In saying that my RMX 250 was a tough act to beat, even if I did spend more time hanging on to it than I did actually riding it. :blush

It was also the only bike I owned where I ended up on first name terms at the local A&E. :blast

I would definately buy another one, with electric start this time.......

And funnily enough I went to look at one last night.:thumb2
Not even a mile from my house in a garage is a 54 plated DRZ400E, with all of 705 miles on the clock from new.
Gadget bash plate, renthals and partly fitted with XC legal kit, just needs rear brake banjo switch fitting.
The man wants £2000 for it, which I think is a fair price......;)

Timpo.

one of the best trail bikes ever made, i'm not surprised Suzuki have seen sense and bought it back

i love mine

And funnily enough I went to look at one last night.:thumb2
Not even a mile from my house in a garage is a 54 plated DRZ400E, with all of 705 miles on the clock from new.
Gadget bash plate, renthals and partly fitted with XC legal kit, just needs rear brake banjo switch fitting.
The man wants £2000 for it, which I think is a fair price......;)

Timpo.

And I pick it up tomorrow night.
I have been thinking about why buy another DRZ? But the bike is almost unburstable, with enough grunt for the trickiest lanes, not too heavy, cheap to maintain and still looks good at 9 years old.
There are a few jobs to do on it, though it went trough the MOT at the weekend.
I have a G450X, but with a 10 hour oil change schedule, the cost when riding twice a week is a little on the high side, so I will use the DRZ to lead trail rides for groups, and then keep the GX for when it's my playtime......:drool

Timpo.

Funnily enough Timpo i was just about to send you a PM to ask for your thoughts and advice on this bike, as i fancy something else for the lanes aswell as the mighty KTM. No need now, enough said. Now to strat the search for a good un:thumb

And I pick it up tomorrow night.
I have been thinking about why buy another DRZ? But the bike is almost unburstable, with enough grunt for the trickiest lanes, not too heavy, cheap to maintain and still looks good at 9 years old.
There are a few jobs to do on it, though it went trough the MOT at the weekend.
I have a G450X, but with a 10 hour oil change schedule, the cost when riding twice a week is a little on the high side, so I will use the DRZ to lead trail rides for groups, and then keep the GX for when it's my playtime......:drool

Timpo.

good one mate :)

I love mine :thumb2

Funnily enough Timpo i was just about to send you a PM to ask for your thoughts and advice on this bike, as i fancy something else for the lanes aswell as the mighty KTM. No need now, enough said. Now to strat the search for a good un:thumb

Gedjack, this is the only trail bike model that I have bought twice. My first was the first kickstart model sold in UK back in 2000. I don't think it ever let me down, apart from a branch knocking a hole in a rad hose.....:augie
Now this 'E' model is purfect for the trails and for me, as the kickstarting of bikes over the years has taken it's toll....:rob
Are you buying new?
The 'E' has a higher tune that the 'S', it is also quite a lot lighter, with fully adjustable comp/rebound suspension.
Spare parts are well covered by the likes of www.wemoto.com
If you need any help with the search, give me a shout.

Timpo.

Thanks for the offer Timpo, and i will take you up on it. I am not looking to buy new and i am only looking at spending between £2000 and £2500.
I have just missed out on what looked like a really nice one in the Preston area:( I might go a little higher on price but it will have to be really good.

Steve.

My first was the first kickstart model sold in UK back in 2000. I don't think it ever let me down, apart from a branch knocking a hole in a rad hose.....:augie

Timpo, I think I've just bought this one from another forum member(who mentioned getting it from you) Still going strong!! starts like a dream, dont know how it'll be when I'm knackered!:eek:

:thumb2:thumb2

Hello All
Ive watched this thread with interest, as I have been interested in buying a DRZ 400 for a few weeks.

I went to two Suzuki dealers near me to fin out more. The first didnt know anything about the 400E, and thought I was mistaken. The second more helpful dealer, took the trouble to find it on the website.

He said it would only be sold through an authorised Suzuki off road dealer (there are none that close to me). He also thought that there would be some issues with registering it as road legal (due to the emissions regs rather then fitting lights horn etc).

So, has anyone done this yet? If so, could you tell us about the issues.

Failing that, has anyone done a conversion of a DRZ400 SM, to trail spec. If so would you have a parts list & rough costs? There seem to be plenty of SM's around, but I prefer something for trail use.

Failing all this, can you stick trail/enduro tyres on the SM model, for off-roading? I assume that the forks are fairly vulnerable if used of road.

All advice gratefully appreciated:thumb2.

Won't be any issues registering for the road, yamaha & honda dealers have been doing it for years with the WRF and CRF enduro bikes and neither of these even come with a speedo as standard.

He also thought that there would be some issues with registering it as road legal (due to the emissions regs rather then fitting lights horn etc).

I spoke to Suzuki at the show. I was told that ths was why the had relaunched the E model as you could register an off-road model for the road whereas the S model would no longer pass the emission regs and could not be sold, therefore, as a 'road' bike.

Greg

I miss my DRZ

I might get another one. My old DRZ is in retirement in Spain:blast

Since getting the KTM 450 I have discovered that I am rubbish at adjusting valves:augie

Thanks for the info.

Ive spoke to a helpful Suzuki dealer, who are advertising through Autotrader, as being able to register them for on road use, (& making them road legal).

Basically for the price, just over £4300, they will put one on the road for you.

I suppose you could always do it yourself, its not like its got CANBUS electrics:D

Anybody any thoughts on just using a SM model with enduro tyres?:nenau

Thanks for the info.

Ive spoke to a helpful Suzuki dealer, who are advertising through Autotrader, as being able to register them for on road use, (& making them road legal).

Basically for the price, just over £4300, they will put one on the road for you.

I suppose you could always do it yourself, its not like its got CANBUS electrics:D

Anybody any thoughts on just using a SM model with enduro tyres?:nenau

The 'SM' closer to the 'S' than the 'E', but usd front legs and small wheels, taller gearing, and I believe that there are differences to airbox and seat unit (for noise emission purposes?).......

Timpo.

Back
Top Bottom