DRZ400E conversion to supermoto advice required

fazerdrzsteve

Hi there

Like it says above, I have been looking for some SM wheels that will fit straight on my 2002 400E K1 kicker for the summer.
Will they fit? I know that I will require a relocating bracket for the front brake caliper as the disc is bigger but not too sure if they will fit straight on.
Any advice/tips on this please will be much appreciated.

Oh and mine also has a speed drive as well!

Also does anyone know of any decent green lanes around the Kent East Sussex borders?

Sorry, one more question, my brother has also just bought a DRZ400E and was looking for some cheap lowering dog bones as he is a little short in the leg. Can anyone recommend a good set please?

Thanks again
Steve

Hi there

Like it says above, I have been looking for some SM wheels that will fit straight on my 2002 400E K1 kicker for the summer.
Will they fit? I know that I will require a relocating bracket for the front brake caliper as the disc is bigger but not too sure if they will fit straight on.
Any advice/tips on this please will be much appreciated.

Oh and mine also has a speed drive as well!

Also does anyone know of any decent green lanes around the Kent East Sussex borders?

Thanks again
Steve

In short, yes they will, assuming that you buy the correct ones of course? Hence the speedo drive should not present you a problem?

BUT, dont forget that you will need two chains as well because of the differant rear sprocket size. From memory I seem to recall that I used to change the front sprocket over as well, from a 14T to a 15T. The rear was either a 39T or 41T, depending on how far I intended to ride.

I also kept the same size disc, saved all the fussing about with the spacer bracket on the caliper, not as cool as the big disc I agree. But trust me, the novelty of swapping wheels over soon goes....:(

Not idea about the other questions though.

So does that mean a set of wheels from a 2007 DRZ400SM would fit?

Cheers
Steve

So does that mean a set of wheels from a 2007 DRZ400SM would fit?

Cheers
Steve

Not sure about that but there are usually plenty of 2nd hand ones on ebay and TBM - expect to pay £400(ish).

I run Talon lowering links on mine in both SM and trail trim. One of the best mods I've done - again, check out ebay and TBM and expext to pay £40(ish).

Check out my thread in this section on Project Supermoto for a wee bit of detail.

Andres

I have talon lowering links on mine but i would prefer to return it to standard.. perhaps a swap may be in order?

Dollyrocket,

Sorry, but I have only just seen this post.

I would be interested in swapping if you are still OK.

You can leave me a message on 02083883450 to arrange details.

Thanks

Steve

Hi, you can use the speedo drive from the drz sm. watch your side stand, it may be a bit too long if you use a lowering link.

Hi
I have finally got some SM wheels off a 400SM (07) but because of the weather have not yet got around to trying them out yet, just looking at them.

Anyway, I have measured the max width of the front tyre as I was worried there was not enough room betwwen the gaters of the front forks.

The tyre was 4 1/2 inches max and the gap between the gaters is less than that.

This means the tyre will rub the gaters. Is there anything I can do to get around this? I have also fitted the standard smaller front disc to the wheel as I didnt want to faff with relocating the caliper.

Any help/useful tips would be greatfully received.

Fazersteve

Hi
I have finally got some SM wheels off a 400SM (07) but because of the weather have not yet got around to trying them out yet, just looking at them.

Anyway, I have measured the max width of the front tyre as I was worried there was not enough room betwwen the gaters of the front forks.

The tyre was 4 1/2 inches max and the gap between the gaters is less than that.

This means the tyre will rub the gaters. Is there anything I can do to get around this? I have also fitted the standard smaller front disc to the wheel as I didnt want to faff with relocating the caliper.

Any help/useful tips would be greatfully received.

Fazersteve

A few points;

Firstly, what do you mean the weather's stoped you trying out the 17" wheels :eek These are the sort of conditions SM's live for - get out there and slipslideaway :thumb

Secondly, your wheels are 17" diameter (not 21") and will run nowhere near the gaiters. I run a race wet on the front that is 5" wide at the shoulder and there is bags of room :thumb2

Thirdly, by all means see what you think of the standard disc on the road - it'll be adequate but will not be up to full on SM hooligan use ie forget repeated hard braking into corners and stoppies - see how it goes but peeps fit big discs for a reason, they're not just SM bling :)

Now get out there and ride the thing :bounce1

Andres

Cheers Andres

You are absolutely right about the weather it's just that it was soo cold.

I have checked again and forgot to factor in the reduced height of the wheel, I thought something wasn't right with that!

As for the disc size, I want to be able to swap from one to t'other without any aggro.

Thanks for putting my mind to rest. Don't worry. I will be back with some more silly questions when the weather perks up, but till then I am sticking to the green lanes!
Fazersteve

How much would a 2nd hand set of supermotard wheels go for?

Obviously, tyres, discs & sprocks may up the price but what's a ballpark figure?

Now I've sold my DR350 I have a bit of cash & I'm toying with the idea.

:cool:

Shhh!

He's in Welshpool, I've already been in touch with Drew & made him an offer.

make ur own lowerers, 10mm ally, 1 hole longer is about right

Is that the offer that was refused?

(the price seems to be about the 'going-rate')

Greg

Well, the wheels didn't get the asking price of £450.
I didn't make an offer through eBay but opted to just send him a message with my email address & phone number.

He's just got in touch & said he'll knock £50 off if I collect them. :cool:

Welshpool here I come. :beerjug:

Result!

:thumb

Greg

Happy, happy, happy! :beerjug:

Before
LiverBuilding.jpg

After
Wheelz5.jpg

Wheelz1.jpg

Wheelz2.jpg

There's no speedo drive on the front wheel but my GPS takes care of that.
Came with a manky rear disc but that should soon clean up.
I'm using the std 400E front disc & the stopping power is ample!

On the road - miles better, still keeping the off road tyres though.

:beer:

Back
Top Bottom