Keis X4 heated jacket with controller

mylovelyhorse

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Late last week I bought myself a Keis X4 heated jacket & the seperate controller. I bought the jacket (new) off eBay and the 5 level controller from Motohaus.

Rode in for the first time today. I had the controller on level 3 out of 5. Some of my internal organs now feel lightly cooked :D

I am very impressed indeed and will for sure be using the jacket for the whole of the Winter :JB

Oh and as an aside, I have no connection with Motohaus except that of having bought stuff from them and been v pleased with the kit & how quickly it has been sent.

Thanks for the review - very tempted by one of these.

One question - how did you find not having any heating on your arms?

Cheers :beerjug:

Thanks for the review - very tempted by one of these.

One question - how did you find not having any heating on your arms?

I've got one as well :). This morning at -6 deg C, using the battery pack at #5, arms were not a problem, and only with a short sleeved shirt + heated waistcoat + outer jacket. But the outer jacket is lined, with the Rallye / Savanna style jackets I'd wear a long sleeved t-shirt.

BTW I do like the lack of neck material.

I've used a heated vest for several years and I find that you don't notice the lack of arm heat. I usually only wear a long sleeve T shirt and heated vest under my jacket unless the temperature gets much lower than 0 deg C then I may add a thin fleece.

This gear looks good and the prices are keen too :thumb

Dave

I see that they're throwing in the £29.99 controller for free for a limited time.
Even better!

I only paid £26 for the jacket on eBay so I didn't mind paying the £30 for the controller. The eBay auction said that there was a pulled thread so it was a second. Me & the Mrs have spent some time looking for this pulled thread but cannot find any damage to the jacket at all. Bonus :D

I've just ordered mine. :JB
Enjoy :)

I rode from Surrey to Telford this morning with my BMW (the old sort) heated jacked.
I was bl**dy cold.

Do they give out less heat as they get older, or do I need more as I get older :confused:

I've just bought a Keis and would appreciate some info re how hot the vest gets.

I've tried mine on the battery pack at full whack (level 5) and it only seems moderately warm to the touch in normal room temperatures.

The manual reckons it should get to 65 degrees C which by my reckoning would make the heated elements fairly hot to the touch

How hot should it feel?????

I've no idea how hot it should get on battery but I can only tolerate level 3 on bike power. Actually, I rode home with the thing on level 2 and was comfortably warm. Used level 3 in the sharp Hampshire frost this morning but reduced that to level 2 when I got into London.

HTH

I've tried mine on the battery pack at full whack (level 5) and it only seems moderately warm to the touch in normal room temperatures.

On level 5 using the battery I've only done this on cold mornings and it certainly felt warm. My impression is though that the heating cycles so trying to measure it at the wrong point would give a "low" reading.

Have you tried it using the bikes power? My impression is that you get a bit more warmth, not too surprising as if the engine is running you should get nearer 14v rather than a bit over 12v with the seperate pack. My waistcoat can be at level 5 on the 650 twin without tripping the accessory socket :)

John, I'm waiting for mine to arrive. Does it come ready fitted with a BMW plug for the accessory socket?

Thanks.

No, comes with lead that can be bolted onto the battery posts, but as I've two bikes I wanted it to be portable, so I chopped the terminals off and fitted the BM type plug.

I tried mine today with a newly charged battery at freezing temps and it definately felt pretty warm on Level 5 (max) battery power.

The manual reckons its good for around 3 hours at this setting.

I agree with the post above as it does seem to 'cycle' the heat and feel warmer sometimes than others. I think it initially belts out the heat then keeps it warm wth slightly less heat in the elements.

Owing to the snow I haven't yet fitted it to the bike

Overall it seems a good bit of kit, I'll post again after I've used it on the bike.

The sizes they quote are pretty accurate but as with all heated clothing a close fit is better than a baggy fit

Just another quick fact on the Keis

Tried it today on the bike using it plugged in to the accessory socket under the seat and it was pretty hot within 2 minutes.
It must only use a small amount of power as I've got my Autocom wired up to the rear of the accessory socket so was a bit concerned that may prove too much load with the Keis as well.
Pleased to report Autocom and Keis both work as normal wired up this way.

No, comes with lead that can be bolted onto the battery posts, but as I've two bikes I wanted it to be portable, so I chopped the terminals off and fitted the BM type plug.

Forgot to ask Daren at Bahnstormer which way the plug's terminals go - is it +ve on the centre post and -ve on the outer sleeve?

Back
Top Bottom