London Beijing - talk me into it!!!

bladerunner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I met the very nice Kevin and Julia of Globebusters again at the NEC.

They are riding London Beijing in 2010 via the 'stans.

I doubt I have the cahones to do that trip solo, but I would Luurve to do it.

They need a doctor and are willing to give good discount.

Wife will allow 3 months away from home if I can cover the loss of salary.

Whatcha think? :bounce1

Do it!!
Being a doctor you'll be earning £300000 per year so wahts a few months off money wise :D

If you don't do it you'll regret it :rob

Kyrgyzstan is loverly (tho bishkek is typical ex soviet stuff) and the scenery out there is great.

Which way are they off into china, if it's via the Torugart Pass the whole trip is worth it for that alone in my book. Two days of amazing scenery. And some of the road down on the chinese side :drool tho to be fair after two days of loose gravel any solid surface looked great. :D

If it is that way kashkar is a good place to stop over for a while, the old part of the city is worth a days exploration. Look up johns cafe while your there, serves consistantly decent grub and cold beer :beerjug:

I can pop a few pics up to persuade you if you want :augie

I'd do it if i had the time /money. I was with a overland group when i went, 7 weeks in an old merc truck :thumb2

Do it.
If you're asking the question you must already be in a position where it's do-able.
If it's do-able, why wouldn't you?
If ever I get the chance I'd grab it, no question.

Are you still here?

You have to do it ... it's your duty!

You owe the rest of us who don't have the time, money or three months "Leave of Absence".

Hi Bladerunner,
I don't know your financial circumstances,but if need be then you take out a personal loan to cover your salary.
I had an oppertunity some 25yrs ago,to do a 4mth trip, going as far as Mongolia. I work for the NHS and could have arranged unpaid leave for the trip.
However my wife felt that we could not afford it,as we were looking to move house the next year.so it was put on the back burner and i promised i would do it some time in the future.
Now 25yrs on although fit and well for a 53yr old,i do have a health issue,which would not allow me to travel so far.
My advice to you.
Sit down have a very long talk with your wife and,

Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it.

I still see the people who did that trip 25yrs ago and they still talk about it as though it were yesterday.

As i am sure you well know,

Life really is short.

Steve

Keep it up guys!!

I'll copy all to wife!

Sadly I am not a silverback in the World of medicine, having chosen the one branch of surgery without private practice :blast So I earn a mere small fraction of £300k, however that may make loss of 3 months earnings easier to bare.

The route is:
To Istanbul via Romania :D
Northern Turkey to Black sea :D
Volgograd then Kazahkstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan to 4600m! :eek:
Torugart pass
Khitai Davan pass 5,300m :eek::eek: - better take Acetazolamide tablets with me!
Tiger leaping gorge to Shangri-la
Beijing and bikes freighted back

10 weeks

Dunno if a book would come of it, but the beeb or sky may show some interest.

Nothing more than castles in the sky presently, but Kevin has a good philosophy of pushing a stick in the sand of future and then making the outcome work to full-fill that goal. I've met them both several times and they seem excellent potential traveling guides.

Carpe Diem, you are a long time dead.

p.s. I already have the bike and tent ;)

She's 5'11" - you gonna tell her she's toxic?

Actually she's a good lass, just interested in the mortgage being paid whilst I have fun :augie

Bladerunner, I cannot imagine you'll get too many on here telling you not to go.
If you need to, you could always write a doctor's note for Mrs. Bladerunner saying why you have to go.

as promised a few pics of the tourgart pass into china.

even did short youtube vid with a 360 degree pan, there really is nothing up there apart from the odd yurt and a guy on a horse

tour1.jpg

tour2.jpg

tour8.jpg

tour3.jpg

tour4.jpg

tour5.jpg

tour6.jpg

tour7.jpg

and now the vid, first one i've put on youtube :eek:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RlkLXX7jF7A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RlkLXX7jF7A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm trying to sign up for unpaid overtime so I can take paid unpaid leave of absence IYSWIM

I'd say 50% ON from where I am standing :bounce1

Did my first big overland trip in 1988-1989 London-Nairobi-Cairo-Kathmandu then flew Singapore-Bali-Sydney with 6 weeks in OZ to finish off.

Still think of it now and never regretted it for a moment.

Done a couple more since then as well,

Go,

Dave:bounce1

Back
Top Bottom