Replacement for GPSIII Plus

Fluffy Bridges

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Chaps, a bit of advice is required,
For quite some time I have been happily using a GPS III+ as a "here-you-are; its-in-that-general-direction" rolling map. The standard mapping is OK but there are more detailed maps to download as long as there is space in the memory. It's a handy unit. I like the trip computer, compass function (which is invaluable) and the track log. I know my way about well enough to use it as an electronic ade memoir really.
Now, the rot set in when Mrs Bridges bought a TT1 for my son that she uses in the car as well to go directly from A to B using postcodes if she isn't familiar with the exact destination. Revelation. You can go from place to place looking like you know what you're doing, when you don't!
Being map based my GPS won't do that. It's becomming increasingly usefull to have this feature for our touring but what to do?? It's a bit like the heated grips syndrome, I accepted cold hands in the winter 'cos that's how it's always been but once used, I can't be without them!
Most of my riding mates have 2820's and one in particular loads tours into his which I would like to do. It also does post code routing
Question is: do I try to find an new 2820 (yes, I've seen the thread to some on ebay) or equivalent for a reasonable £250 odd or do I jump right in and buy a new Zumo 550 with all the bits for use in the car (Defender 90, not that it makes a difference) when its not on the GSA? We tour Europe and Ireland and I lead rides for the local M/C club when time allows.

Here you go Simon, a free bump for you:thumb2

Where are all the GPS experts when you want them:nenau

You probably like the Garmin 111 for its convenient form factor apart from anything else. A Garmin Quest provides the same plus routing and Mapsource compatability

A couple have come up here for under a hundred quid and you should find several on eBay

Beware of Quest 2's and US sourced models with smaller memory

It's an excellent bike and car GPS that does not need external power. It doesn't give postcode search however

For roadwork - I've been pretty pleased with the Zumo: easy to use interface, even with gloves on and while moving (already configured for left handed/clutch hand use), has postcode search, has enough space for all the maps in Europe, and can show speed cameras and warnings, in built battery is also handy for preping routes off the bike.

On the downside - I find that it's routing is not always the smartest and have frequently been able to navigate 'faster' routes by making my own choices. And that is not down to riding fast (i've rarely been able to out perform the expected times) just down to better route selection. I'm sure this is down to a setting I've got wrong... it's not set to shortest route either!

All in all, I'm pleased with it and would buy one again :thumb2

Kritou,

You're right, I like it because its informal and it's down to me which way I go to destinations rather than brainlessly following instructions. From reading the posts on here rather more comprehensively than at first, I find that there are more options with the 2820 ref re-routing but the Zumo is more user friendly out of the box with an expandable memory. I also find that a well discounted Zumo (white box £365, new £390) is not far off a 2820 which needs a mount (£260 + £72, £332 +/-). I have down loaded both user manuals (bound to bugger up all logical decisions :blast) so will have a read and make a comparison. At the moment the 2820 just has it on user options. Thanks for posting....:thumb

Back
Top Bottom