FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
No one listens to Help! Hence the title of thread.

I broke down earlier. I pulled in the clutch and I thought I broke the cable...i in fact broke the bracket that attaches to the cable. I've got pix and I'LL TRY AND UP LOAD them so you can see your self.

I'm on a r850r -'99 model with cable actuated clutch. I'm not on a gs, I know but you lot will know what the hell I've done to my bike.

To get home, I decided to attach a piece of twine to the bolt that the bracket used to attach to. Ie Manually trying to engage the clutch with my hand.

I was doing about 60 kph when I pulled in clutch and it didn't spring out again. I had to crash through the gears to get her to eventally stall and stop. I was going to hit the kill switch but I crashed through the gears to get to first to try and get her to stop without killing me.

Anyone any ideas if the clutch is shot? I'll get on those pix now:confused:a
FK.

btw I had to get recovery truck to get me. I was on sherrif st/amiens st. Not a place to leave a bike

OOOh, cheers to the four seperate bmw;s that went past and didn;t ask I was ok. The rice grinders not stopping I condone because they don't bmr riders anyways:augie

pix

3 pix

one of the bracket that held the cable

two of where the bracket used to attach. One from the side the other from the rear. That pivot joint is the clutch and IMO pulling it by hand to the right ( in rear pix) should engage the clutch???

Fire!

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 422
  • clutch bracket.jpg
    clutch bracket.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 435
  • clutch bracket broken.jpg
    clutch bracket broken.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 435
btw, in case your wondering, the ring that is at the end of the clutch cable was what I used to try and bodge a clutch...should have worked if the clutch was ok???

Thank god I'm allriight:blast

The broken part is a replaceable item, only held in place by a bolt.

It may be fiddly to get at but it's not the end of the world (or the clutch).

The broken part is a replaceable item, only held in place by a bolt.

It may be fiddly to get at but it's not the end of the world (or the clutch).

That's why I wasn't initially worried.

If you look at the pix from the rear, that joint (sorry don't know name - hynes manual will be gotten out later) moves to the right. Unless, I'm mistaken and just wrong ( i could be - first clutch issues here) then that is pulled fully to the right, with the bike in gear, the bike should start at per normal. I used to be able to pull in clutch in gear and start bike (bad practice)

ANyway, this doesn't engage the clutch- bike immediatly stalls as it should if bike in gear and it's started...does the bracket pull the clutch lever more than a finger can? If it does and that's what is normal, please tell. A part I can afford. A joe duffy clutch I cannot. It's christmas.

:aidan

Flatknuckles,

OOOh, cheers to the four seperate bmw;s that went past and didn;t ask I was ok. The rice grinders not stopping I condone because they don't bmr riders anyways

Sorry can't help. I would stop for anyone. Remembered back in '82 having binned a bike just below Fontinbleu on the motorway. Northern Irish cars passed but feck did anyone stop. The only ones that stopped was EVERY biker. Made me feel at ease that did.

Hope yoy get your troubles fixxed.

Broken operating arm

Youl possibly need to lift the back,of the sub frame if this is an oilhead, possibly the pivotes siezed up so grease it well be fore putting it back.
Dave ( I hate Christmas) GS.

I'll look at hynes and figure out exactly which bit you mean. If you can see it in my pix, it moves fine. The clutch operating lever just broke - snapped.

Perhaps I could phrase the question again Please??

My question is this: if the operating lever that is connected to the pivot bolt that moves the clutch pivot mechanism breaks, is it possible to engage the clutch using ones index finger to move said clutch pivot? My clutch is not engaging when I do this.

I'm rephrasing this because I don't want to pay money to mr bmw unnecessarily. I'll buy a new operating lever obviously but I'm just trying to find out if anyone actually knows about how clutchs on this era oilhead work. This is the place that has the info!

Does this pivot work on tiny movements and will fully engaging the pivot work on a heathy bike?

If it sounds like something is wrong, perhaps a hypothesis of a hypothetical situation might come to you and someone could suggest what else might have gone?

Thanks for any help you can give.:thumb

The clutch on your bike works on quite small movement - just enough to seperate the plates. However, it requires a lot of leverage to disengage them against the tension of the spring, hence you have such a long arm at the back of the gearbox & also one on the handlebars. You're not going to manage to disengage the clutch by using finger pressure/strength, without the lever. You're probably just feeling the freeplay being taken up.

The clutch arm beaking isn't that unusual.

it can replaced by just removing the rear shock - it's fiddly but doable.

I don't know anything specific about oilhead clutches but:

With the cable disconnected, I would expect the clutch to be engaged (i.e. engine and gearbox connected).

Without the mechanical advantage of the various levers in the clutch mechanism, I would't expect you to have any chance of disengaging the clutch. Certainly not with one finger. All you'll be able to do is to take up the free play until the release bearing starts to bear on the clutch, not compress the big springs.

I think that's the experience you describe?

Hurray!

I'll be onto Mr Sherlock in the morning.

Thankyou very much lads. Merry Christmas to you and yours...

I hope he has them in stock:thumb2

EDIT

AHutcheon that describes it perfectly.

Mr Steptoe, - Thanks for the reassurance.

I think this thread puts to bed the urban legend of the lad who used a piece twine to engage his clutch to get home...

Clutches

I think this thread puts to bed the urban legend of the lad who used a piece twine to engage his clutch to get home...

Yes that is all BKKKSSS! a friend had the same prob but he just kept breaking clutch cables this was on an 1100 and the pivot had siezed up!, tried squirting
wd at it but had to lift the rear subframe to do it. Just like you do when replacing clutch ( No, it 'aint that bad!) But, do put it back with loads of grease so it don't happen agian for a long time!. Good point to remember for any one changing the clutch. Never mind, something to do over christmas! you could be whatching the Great Escape!!.
Dave ( I hate christmas) GS

Back
Top Bottom