which foot down first - stopping

dxtans

Reaction score
Hi,
Had a really good exhange of views to-day, with a couple of other bikers.. (whilst stopping off for a coffee with wife+ gsa) ,on which :
foot should go down first when breaking ( coming to a stop/halt)
I am quite sure and I always do this, is that the left foot goes down first as the right foot covers the rear brake. The other guys were quite firm in that it does not matter.

I am not a newbie biker, been riding for over 15 years, but have I got it wrong all this time ?

thanks
dxtans

Oh god not another 4 pages of debate:eek:onyack

Oh god not another 4 pages of debate:eek:onyack

Dont know what Tim has said before as i havn't looked but since he's and instructor and so am i, the only foot to put down when coming to a halt is the left foot. End of.

Left foot goes down so that rear brake can be applied untill completely stopped and also if your left foot slips once you stop, you fall to the pavement.....not the road.

Its a simple as that.

:blast

You've got two legs ( stumpy excluded), use whichever you like, it's not against the law.

Dont know what Tim has said before as i havn't looked but since he's and instructor and so am i, the only foot to put down when coming to a halt is the left foot. End of.

Left foot goes down so that rear brake can be applied untill completely stopped and also if your left foot slips once you stop, you fall to the pavement.....not the road.

Its a simple as that.

:blast

Thats not what my ROSPA instructor says, he reckons it don't matter as long as your cosistant on the test, and that doesn't mean using the same foot every time, only the same foot in the same circumstances. I do tend to put my left down first so I can use my rear only when braking at slow speeds.

I put both down, I wobble and fall over if I don't.

Perhaps I'm not safe to be out on the road :(

You've got two legs ( stumpy excluded), use whichever you like, it's not against the law.

That is not errr mmmm aaaagh errr mmmm PC Neil ... now is it?

I mean ... Stumpy might be better at errr mmm with errr mmm well you know... mmm t'other 'leg' down :nenau

Yeah ... OK ... you're right... :thumb

:beerjug:

just say no:mmmm

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RcqgHmBXwUk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RcqgHmBXwUk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back
Top Bottom