BMW OFF ROAD SKILLS COURSE Level 1

Wingit

Reaction score
I am going to book onto the Level 1 off road course in April/May.

I ride a R1200GSA (and a VFR) and have toured Europe. I do about 10,000 miles a year recreational biking. I have not done any off road riding but I've done a bit of mountain biking.

Has anybody done this two day course? And if so, could anyone advise me if I should book the Level 1 basic or the Level one advanced course?

Having read the info on the BMW site I feel like I may be somewhere inbetween the two levels.

My gut feeling is to book the basic course and start from scratch but I don't want to feel like I've not been stretched after shelling out the 450 quid.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Ken.

Did the L1 basic last October and going back to do L1 advanced March or April.

I would say book the basic but then have a chat with the instructors when you arrive. On my course they were happy to split the L1s into basic and advanced on the morning.

From what I gathered the two are similar in content but the advanced guys are given a quick refresher on the basics before heading off, whereas on the basic we spent all the first morning and part of the first afternoon on basic off-road riding techniques.

Hi.

I did the level one course in October and they do indeed split the course into different groups of ability. As I recall we had 3/4 groups - Basic never been off road, basic but done a bit and mountain biking etc (this was the one I was in), basic done the course before and then hooligan class :pullface

The course was very well structured and EVERYONE got so much out of it - whilst some of the beginners stuff may seem straightforward it was very interesting to see how people forgot what they'd been previously taught when trying to pick a bike up, on, for instance, a steepish uphill techical section. Adrenalin does strange things to people!!

I thought the course was absolutely superb. Gwinn (our instructor) took everyone at the right level. I went from being slightly hesitant and nervous to powersliding the GS1200 I was riding on the wider stuff. ABFAB!:thumb2. Also had competitions to see who could get the other the mudiest by wheel spinning through crucial muddy bits. Jeuvenile but VERY satisfying!!!:D

You'll be amazed at what the GS can do - I really didn't think it would have been as capable as it is off road - defies belief really. Enjoy the course and be honest with yourself when you decide which group to go in - that way you'll get the most from it.

Cheers

P

Has anybody done this two day course? And if so, could anyone advise me if I should book the Level 1 basic or the Level one advanced course?

Having read the info on the BMW site I feel like I may be somewhere inbetween the two levels.
Hi Wingit,

I just posted a similar query on another thread. I have 18 years' riding behind me, tens of thousands of road miles and a bit of advanced rider training ... but I still booked the Basic course. My OH and I are off to Alaska in June and, while accidents do happen, I didn't want any arrogance on my part to jeapodise that trip. I am reassured knowing that they look at your riding technique on the day, and put you in an appropriate group.

We are booked 26th & 27th April BTW. Which dates are you planning to go?

Another question for y'all.

I also ride a 1200GS and am still in a bit of a quandery about which bike to book for the course. I had an F650GS for a few years. It was a gift from my husband when we first went to the US. (He had a Triumph Tiger 955.) The intention had been to sell it at the end of the trip but, after a year leaving it with a Portland dealer, we ended up shipping it home and using it as a commuter. End of preamble ...

The thing is I have long legs and I always found the 650 a bit cramped for long distances, so I wouldn't choose one again. I find the 1200 infinitely more comfortable, but ... it seemed a bit foolhardy to book one for a beginners' off-road course. Instead, I opted for a compromise and reserved an 800 - slightly taller than the 1200, but lighter.

Does anyone have any experience of the 800 or views as regards my rationale? It isn't too late to change bikes.

800GS ......Excellent choice :thumb2

Could be somewhat biased though ..... have one! You'll love it.

Another question for y'all.

I also ride a 1200GS and am still in a bit of a quandery about which bike to book for the course. I had an F650GS for a few years. It was a gift from my husband when we first went to the US. (He had a Triumph Tiger 955.) The intention had been to sell it at the end of the trip but, after a year leaving it with a Portland dealer, we ended up shipping it home and using it as a commuter. End of preamble ...

The thing is I have long legs and I always found the 650 a bit cramped for long distances, so I wouldn't choose one again. I find the 1200 infinitely more comfortable, but ... it seemed a bit foolhardy to book one for a beginners' off-road course. Instead, I opted for a compromise and reserved an 800 - slightly taller than the 1200, but lighter.

Does anyone have any experience of the 800 or views as regards my rationale? It isn't too late to change bikes.

I booked the level 1 basic course on a 1200 after not riding anything for 8 years. We were planning a bike trip to New Zealand on the 1200 and I thought this was the best way to get experience. It was fine, easy to get used to and great off road. I tried the 800 and 650 but didn't like them as I felt they were too small for me. I would say if you ride a 1200 it will be fine. Also, it's better for falling off as the cylinder heads stop your legs getting crushed. Important as you will fall off, many times, whatever bike you choose !

The courses are excellent - but you pay for what you get. With an additional overnight(3 in all), food and petrol, it was >£600. I can't afford to do another one and I don't fancy driving back from the event after the second day - I was knackered.

The course I did was split on the day into 'those that don't ride much and have never been off road' 'those that ride a bit but haven't been off road' and 'those that ride a bit and have been off road'

We all did roughly the same stuff.

If you do it on a 1200 and fall off a lot (the learning process) you'll be knackered. The 650's are much easier to pick up. Remember you won't be falling off on a nice flat car park flat surface. Sods Law will have the bike wedged against a tree of half way down a ditch or such like.

Personally, I found the 800 horrible off road. It's as tall and heavy as a 1200 and the throttle is as snatchy as a race bike with a digital clutch. It was fine on gravel roads but awful on technical sections.

If I could afford to do the course again, I'd do it on an XChallenge. I easily managed to put what I learned on a 650 into practice on my 1200, but had a much easier time picking the 650 up.

Back
Top Bottom