Travel Arrangements from England

Norm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good Morning SWISSERS.
Hopefully this thread is not too premature.
If the folks who are confirmed at this stage fancy it, we could try to plan travel arrangements together and tie up en route and ride together. It may also help some undecided’s to get their act in gear.

My thoughts are -
it would be safer – pull together mechanically, route finding etc.
it may be more economical re group bookings
we get a day’s head start at “bonding” :beerjug:
AND otherwise I’ll have to travel all the way to Switzerland with the Bandit on my own !!!!! :blast

I am assuming that the objective is to arrive in Vevey by Thurs p.m or early Fri a.m.
ARE YOU OK WITH THAT MAGNUM ?
Therefore travel Thursday 10th to arrive at Vevey p.m.
Riding from Friday 11th
Finish back at Vevey Fri 18th
Travel Home from Sat 19th

We could meet Arsey in mid France maybe beyond Paris. Travelling from Guernsey (I presume).

I’ll volunteer myself and the Bandit to check out the options and route plan from England \Wales to Vevey Switzerland.

Just to put some scale to the riding required, my thoughts are:
For us from Sheffield to Dover is 230 miles – 3 - 3½ hrs riding (I would think similar from Wales\ Lancs \Cheshire).
From Calais to Vevey is 515 miles ish – at only 70 MPH average that would mean at least 7 ½’ hrs riding plus say 3 * 20-30 minute stops (every 150-200 miles or after 2 – 2½ ish hrs riding)

Option 1 :
Ride thru to Vevey in one hit – maybe a 10hr day from Calais
Early morning Euro tunnel from Dover to Calais, arriving at Vevey on Thursday evening ready to ride with Magnum on Friday.
Pricing at first stab - £70 per person Return. 7 a.m. from Dover on Thursday 10th and 18.00 return from Calais on Saturday 19th

Option 2 :
Euro tunnel, pricing \ timing remains the same.
Would anyone want an overnighter in France on the Thursday night. Budget 30 Euro\£30
Dijon is approx 325 miles from Calais so the major mileage is done on the first day to enable a 2-3 hr ride to Vevey the next day.

Option 3 :
Hull to Zeebrugge overnight Ferry - 526 miles to Vevey, only 10 miles further than from Calais
This would be a Wednesday night crossing (18.00 hrs) to arrive in Zeebrugge on Thursday 08.00a.m.
Return cost, approx £200 per person with bike, pillions less as foot passengers.
Downsides
- Costs probably up to £50-70 more than Euro tunnel for bike and rider and an accommodation stop (£100 without a stop)
- Possibly extra day of travel, i.e. need to arrive in Hull for a Wednesday night 18.00 hrs crossing
(it is easy for us in the north, we have a 1 hr ride to Hull so probably don’t leave home until 15.30 hrs)
Is it something the Welsh\Cheshire\Mancs would consider or prefer?
Upsides
- EASIER MILEAGE to the point of crossing
- Arrive rested and well fed to do a 9 hr ride to Vevey
I personally would rather do the mileage in Belgium & France than England, doing 200+ miles on the M1 or M6 M5 then M25 M2\A2 is a nightmare at any time.

BELIEVE ME - The easier mileage home from Hull is best appreciated on the return journey after a 5 day riding tour.

The North and South could cross from separate locations and meet in France on Thursday a.m.

Any thoughts or alternates would be appreciated:
Does anyone think the idea of travelling together is worth planning?
Does anyone want to make early bookings? (I think they would be cheaper)
State your preferences and I would be happy to start to organise if every one is OK with that. :thumb2

Deposits for tickets etc will be required.!!! :rob

Too early for me to commit to travel plans yet and being self employed I will have to make arrangements to cover jobs etc. with my subbies (assuming there are any jobs to do..... :eek: if there aren't I'll be backing out of the trip ) so I'll leave my travel plans until nearer the time of departure.
The Hull crossing is a no-no for me, as much as I hate the journey to Folkestone (and back) from Wales it is probably the quickest and cheapest option for me, I'll probably go that route on the Thursday and do the trip in one go or maybe overnight somewhere along the way,cannot be any more specific than that at the mo. but if the timing is right I would welcome the chance to meet up with fellow hollybobbers along the way :D

I am assuming that the objective is to arrive in Vevey by Thurs p.m or early Fri a.m.

Riding from Friday 11th
Thanks Norm for posting this :thumb2

Sounds good to me.

We should all be in a position to start riding at 9am Friday 11th from Vevey and finish the trip at Vevey on 18th just before dinner. That way we get 7 full days of glorious riding :bounce1

If you'd like to arrive on the evening of 10th I'll find some accommodation options. It's never too early to start preparing for the trip and the more we do know the more relaxing it'll be later :beerjug:

Good on you Norm !
I am still on the fence in the 'maybe camp', but would prefer option 2, because I would not want to arrive at the start crackered.

My strife would not enjoy a long pillion blast, so I would Easyjet her for £25 to Geneva and pick her up en route.

Still watching
:D

Thanks Norm for posting this :thumb2

Sounds good to me.

We should all be in a position to start riding at 9am Friday 11th from Vevey and finish the trip at Vevey on 18th just before dinner. That way we get 7 full days of glorious riding :bounce1

If you'd like to arrive on the evening of 10th I'll find some accommodation options. It's never too early to start preparing for the trip and the more we do know the more relaxing it'll be later :beerjug:

Ok, there's the plan, we need to arrive in Vevey by Thursday evening So :

Option 1, is euro tunnel Thursday a.m. and straight thru to Vevey. All day riding and overnight acommodation in Vevey for a Friday 9 am start

Or Option 2, is euro tunnel Wednesday and overnight in France en-route on Wednesday evening. Then arrive in Vevey on Thursday from midday onwards and overnight acommodation in Vevey for a Friday 9 am start

Or Option 2a, is euro tunnel Thursday a.m. overnight in France en route and set off for Vevey VERY EARLY Friday @ 6 a.m. ish to arrive Vevey before 9 a.m.

Or Option 3, Hull crossing Wednesday evening and ride all day on Thursday to arrive in Vevey on Thursday evening and overnight acommodation in Vevey for a Friday 9 am start

Looks like beds are needed in Vevey - price examples please magnum :thumb2

Norm

The more I think about it, option 2 makes a lot of sense to me and would probably be my choice at the moment. We may be able to pick some interesting roads down and make the journey more enjoyable, instead of a long fast slog.

Bandit
:)

Looks like beds are needed in Vevey - price examples please magnum :thumb2
Mindful of the present exchange rate this has taken a bit longer than I thought, but I've found a nice place in Vevey that won't break the bank.

Hôtel-restaurant les Négociants is right in the centre of Vevey's old quarter and has recently been refurbished.

chambres_01.jpg

Prices are per room and include breakfast, VAT and service. CHF=Swiss Francs.

1 person in single room CHF 104
1 person in double room CHF 126
2 persons in double room CHF 165

Food wise there's lots of choice in Vevey - Indian, Chinese, traditional and snack bars. I only live a couple of km away so I'll be out with you that night :beerjug:

The only downside is no parking BUT there's a large car park very close by with dedicated bike parking. As long as any soft luggage is removed you needn't worry about security. This is Switzerland remember.

I'll be speaking to the hotel later today to confirm they have availability and to request a discount. Problem is they will want numbers so I'm going to post a cut-off date in the other thread so I can talk to hotels with definite numbers.

What do you think?

Mindful of the present exchange rate this has taken a bit longer than I thought, but I've found a nice place in Vevey that won't break the bank.

Hôtel-restaurant les Négociants is right in the centre of Vevey's old quarter and has recently been refurbished.

chambres_01.jpg

Prices are per room and include breakfast, VAT and service. CHF=Swiss Francs.

1 person in single room CHF 104
1 person in double room CHF 126
2 persons in double room CHF 165

Food wise there's lots of choice in Vevey - Indian, Chinese, traditional and snack bars. I only live a couple of km away so I'll be out with you that night :beerjug:

The only downside is no parking BUT there's a large car park very close by with dedicated bike parking. As long as any soft luggage is removed you needn't worry about security. This is Switzerland remember.

I'll be speaking to the hotel later today to confirm they have availability and to request a discount. Problem is they will want numbers so I'm going to post a cut-off date in the other thread so I can talk to hotels with definite numbers.

What do you think?

Hi,

good hotel Magnun. I`ll need 1 room for the 10th of september and the 18th, because i´ll arrive from Madrid the 10th, and i´ll come back to Madrid the 19th.
You can put me down to the hotel.

V`sssss from Spain:Motomartin

No problem mate. I think quite a few who are coming might do likewise, That way we can have 7 full days of riding in the Alps :thumb2

Magnum

Can you put Norm and myself down for sharing a twin bedroom for Thurs 10th and Friday 18th. (and all the other hotels in between), which ever hotels they end up being.. I suppose this should be in the accommodation section.

Bandit
:beerjug:

Magnum

Can you put Norm and myself down for sharing a twin bedroom for Thurs 10th and Friday 18th. (and all the other hotels in between), which ever hotels they end up being.. I suppose this should be in the accommodation section.

Bandit
:beerjug:
No problemo Bandito :)

Please can you sort me a room (solo) for the 10th?

Not sure, yet about the return trip - may wander off elsewhere. Perhaps book it for the 18th, just in case, but mindful I may need to cancel?

Cheers

JB

Not sure if I'll be leaving Portsmouth for Le Havre/Caen/St Malo or take the train to Calais. I'll know end of March-ish.

In any event, happy to meet up with Norm and anyone else for the ride to Vevey. I'll want to stopover en route, though.

JB

Please can you sort me a room (solo) for the 10th?

Not sure, yet about the return trip - may wander off elsewhere. Perhaps book it for the 18th, just in case, but mindful I may need to cancel?

Cheers

JB
When the numbers are confirmed on April 1st then the real planning and booking can start. I've spoken to the local hotel but understandably they can't reserve so many rooms without a deposit. As soon as we know how many are coming I can press on with arrangements :)

Good Morning SWISSERS.
Hopefully this thread is not too premature.
If the folks who are confirmed at this stage fancy it, we could try to plan travel arrangements together and tie up en route and ride together. It may also help some undecided’s to get their act in gear.

My thoughts are -
it would be safer – pull together mechanically, route finding etc.
it may be more economical re group bookings
we get a day’s head start at “bonding” :beerjug:
AND otherwise I’ll have to travel all the way to Switzerland with the Bandit on my own !!!!! :blast

Riding from Friday 11th

We could meet Arsey in mid France maybe beyond Paris. Travelling from Guernsey (I presume).

I’ll volunteer myself and the Bandit to check out the options and route plan from England \Wales to Vevey Switzerland.

Just to put some scale to the riding required, my thoughts are:
For us from Sheffield to Dover is 230 miles – 3 - 3½ hrs riding (I would think similar from Wales\ Lancs \Cheshire).
From Calais to Vevey is 515 miles ish – at only 70 MPH average that would mean at least 7 ½’ hrs riding plus say 3 * 20-30 minute stops (every 150-200 miles or after 2 – 2½ ish hrs riding)

Option 1 :
Ride thru to Vevey in one hit – maybe a 10hr day from Calais
Early morning Euro tunnel from Dover to Calais, arriving at Vevey on Thursday evening ready to ride with Magnum on Friday.
Pricing at first stab - £70 per person Return. 7 a.m. from Dover on Thursday 10th and 18.00 return from Calais on Saturday 19th

Option 2 :
Euro tunnel, pricing \ timing remains the same.
Would anyone want an overnighter in France on the Thursday night. Budget 30 Euro\£30
Dijon is approx 325 miles from Calais so the major mileage is done on the first day to enable a 2-3 hr ride to Vevey the next day.

Option 3 :
Hull to Zeebrugge overnight Ferry - 526 miles to Vevey, only 10 miles further than from Calais
This would be a Wednesday night crossing (18.00 hrs) to arrive in Zeebrugge on Thursday 08.00a.m.
Return cost, approx £200 per person with bike, pillions less as foot passengers.
Downsides
- Costs probably up to £50-70 more than Euro tunnel for bike and rider and an accommodation stop (£100 without a stop)
- Possibly extra day of travel, i.e. need to arrive in Hull for a Wednesday night 18.00 hrs crossing
(it is easy for us in the north, we have a 1 hr ride to Hull so probably don’t leave home until 15.30 hrs)
Is it something the Welsh\Cheshire\Mancs would consider or prefer?
Upsides
- EASIER MILEAGE to the point of crossing
- Arrive rested and well fed to do a 9 hr ride to Vevey
I personally would rather do the mileage in Belgium & France than England, doing 200+ miles on the M1 or M6 M5 then M25 M2\A2 is a nightmare at any time.

BELIEVE ME - The easier mileage home from Hull is best appreciated on the return journey after a 5 day riding tour.

The North and South could cross from separate locations and meet in France on Thursday a.m.

Any thoughts or alternates would be appreciated:
Does anyone think the idea of travelling together is worth planning?
Does anyone want to make early bookings? (I think they would be cheaper)
State your preferences and I would be happy to start to organise if every one is OK with that. :thumb2

Deposits for tickets etc will be required.!!! :rob

Norm can you keep me informed on any travel arrangements , i will just go with the flow whatever is the best for the group travelling over is OK with me .

Just rang P&O for ferry prices Hull to Zeebrugge and back.

One motorcycle one rider and one basic cabin = £240 return
Two motorcycles and two riders in one basic twin cabin = £298 return (aka £149 each)

For the northern riders this crossing will save about 200 miles of motorway riding and you get a bed thrown in... plus we could still meet up with the southern folk somewhere in France......

Bandit

Our plan is as follows

Wednesday 9th September Hull to Zeebrugge Ferry
Arrive Hull at approx 5 p.m. – Ferry usually boards at approx 6pm.

8am Thursday off the ferry in Zeebrugge, fed, watered and rested to ride to Vevey at a steady pace with stops - 530 miles with 10 or so hours to do it. Arrive in Vevey whenever.

Magnum to sort accommodation out in Vevey Thursday evening.

9am Friday commence Alps tour.

Sometime Friday afternoon complete Alps tour.
Magnum to sort accommodation out in Vevey Friday evening.

RETURN
Leave Vevey at 9am ish Saturday 19th Sept
The return from Vevey on the Saturday to Zeebrugge would be a tight schedule as boarding is usually 6pm need to arrive at say 5 p.m.? and we would have to knock off the 530+ miles in one go (after a weeks touring and beer).
We propose to stop within 250'ish miles of Zeebrugge and stay that night.

9am Sunday ride to Zeebrugge along interesting roads with a couple of pleasant stops here and there and arrive at 5 ish p.m. in Zeebrugge Sunday

Board ferry, Beer, food, beer, sleep, arrive Hull.

8am Monday 21st Leave Hull for home

Any one up for joining us is more than welcome. :beerjug:

We can confirm the France side meet up (if necessary) nearer the time, our route will take us thru or close to -
Lille, Arras, St Quentin, Reims, Troyes,Dijon, Poligny, Orbe, Lausanne, Vevey. :Motomartin

Being a Southern softie (MK area), I'll start the adventure either from Portsmouth or Dover/Folkestone.

I intend to get to Vevey on the Thursday night (10th), and would welcome a 'meet-up' en route.

Not had a chance to book travel or look at a map properly, but I hope to do so in the next few days, and firm up arrangements.

Coming home, I'll probbaly stay over in Vevey on the 18th, and meander back to Calais/Le Harve/Caen/wherever, over 2 days.

I'm tempted to ride up to Hull and ferry over with you Northern rowdies, but that would add a bit of extra cost. Not completely out of the question, though, so be warned...:D

Last day, today, isn't it? :thumb2

Roll on the Alps..:bounce1:JB:ChrisKelly:pullface

Yoy

Being a Southern softie (MK area), I'll start the adventure either from Portsmouth or Dover/Folkestone.

I intend to get to Vevey on the Thursday night (10th), and would welcome a 'meet-up' en route.

Not had a chance to book travel or look at a map properly, but I hope to do so in the next few days, and firm up arrangements.

Coming home, I'll probbaly stay over in Vevey on the 18th, and meander back to Calais/Le Harve/Caen/wherever, over 2 days.

I'm tempted to ride up to Hull and ferry over with you Northern rowdies, but that would add a bit of extra cost. Not completely out of the question, though, so be warned...:D

Last day, today, isn't it? :thumb2

Roll on the Alps..:bounce1:JB:ChrisKelly:pullface

Yoy

I assure you the extra cost will be worth it for the civilised crossing (and they serve Shandy) and it's not much more mileage from p\mouth or dover, You are 120 miles from sheffield, 165 from hull....

Plus what are you going to do when the Tango 990 or whatever splutters and fails and you are on your own. :blast

Or more likely we might need you to rescue us :bounce1

Bugger - spluttered coffee everywhere then! Shandy! :jes

Yeah, there's not a lot in it, except the ferry fare - about tuppence ha'penny from Dover. And you get Green Shield Stamps.

Very temtping, though - just been looking at Google Earth to get an idea of distances etc. It would be a long solitary ride from Calais, Le Havre, or Caen...

Hmmm...leave it with me.

Yoy

Back
Top Bottom