hein gericke 10/40 oil

bart2181

Reaction score
hi,anyone tried using hein gericke 10/40 semi synthetic oil in rgs.i,m due an oil change and finding somewhere which stocks castrol 20/50 is,nt easy.i,ve used their oil in africa twin but don,t know whether to try in my r1100gs.any ideas

If it`s dark and slippy, it will be as good as anything else.;) 10/40 is good in this cold weather.

Not tried that brand yet, but I know what you mean about trying to find a 20W50 in UK. I just returned from Australia and you could buy a quality 20W50 oil everywhere there eg supermarkets, filling stations etc and very cheap. Maybe because of our colder climate, not many engines require a 20W50.

I notice that H-G sells a fully synthetic 10W50 at £21.99 for 4 litres, part number 32101000020. Should be good for a well run-in GS engine and probably what I will use at my next oil change.

I also heard somewhere that Harley-Davidson agents sell a 20W50 for air cooled engines.

mmm these are all 'motorcycle oils' completely pointless in a GS. But I guess if you want to spend over the odds on additives that these bikes just don't need - thats fine.

(OMG an oil thread - and i gets involved) :blast

mmm these are all 'motorcycle oils' completely pointless in a GS. But I guess if you want to spend over the odds on additives that these bikes just don't need - thats fine.

(OMG an oil thread - and i gets involved) :blast

......or as the mechanic in my local BMW garage says "It`s only a tractor engine":augie

you say"motorcycle oils"completely useless in gs,s.why and what do you use?i,ve also heard fully syn can damage engine.

you say"motorcycle oils"completely useless in gs,s.why and what do you use?i,ve also heard fully syn can damage engine.

In my old tractor I use wilkos own brand 15w/40 car oil... and change it every 3,000 miles. £8.49 for a 5 litre bottle. :thumb2

(I can just picture the look of horror on your face)

Motorcycle oils aren't 'useless' but they are complete overkill and money down the drain... these bikes are from an engine and oil point of view 2 wheeled cars with understressed engines - the old joke about them being '2 wheeled tractors' isn't far wrong.

when you buy 'bike' oil - you pay a huge premium based on a. its bike oil so has a small market share b. the fancy additives that look after the clutch and c. the fancy additives that keep the oil going while it looks after the gear box. - the GS needs none of these. And I believe because its so understressed it doesn't need 'synth' either full or part.

Any Car oil that meets the spec will be perfect.. the cheapo stuff I use is API SJ - which means it exceeds the spec... and being so cheap means I can double up on oil changes and perform 3 for less than you will pay for just 1.

and the bike runs like a dream btw.

Bart

Really don`t worry. Get a good quaity semi synth and you`ll be fine.

I used to use Halfords 20/50 for classic car engines in my 1100 and it`s fine. Last 2 changes were with a higher quality 10/40 because it took me across the heat of Mid West USA and it didn`t miss a beat.

When the old girl comes back to these shores it will be back to cheap and chearful.

ill give the hein gericke semi a bash,surely oils oil is,nt it?£15 for 4ltr ain,t bad is it.i,ve also used this stuff in my tl1000s and with 30,000 miles on clocks is still going strong

ill give the hein gericke semi a bash,surely oils oil is,nt it?£15 for 4ltr ain,t bad is it.i,ve also used this stuff in my tl1000s and with 30,000 miles on clocks is still going strong

that price is excellent matey... sorry - I was expecting a price almost double that. :thumb

The prices I see for some bike oils makes my eyes pop.

castrol 20/50

hi,anyone tried using hein gericke 10/40 semi synthetic oil in rgs.i,m due an oil change and finding somewhere which stocks castrol 20/50 is,nt easy.i,ve used their oil in africa twin but don,t know whether to try in my r1100gs.any ideas

have a look in dicount offers i put the post and a few pepole have used but its the chepest castrol and fast p&p:clap

Almost all motorcycles have a wet clutch and integrated gearbox/engines and motorcycle oil is formulated with this in mind. And so it has all sorts of additives to help with wet clutches and gearboxes .

But the GS has a dry clutch and seperate gearbox, so is the same set up as a car.
So no need for the motorcycle specific oils, as you don't need all the unnecessary additives.

Almost all motorcycles have a wet clutch and integrated gearbox/engines and motorcycle oil is formulated with this in mind. And so it has all sorts of additives to help with wet clutches and gearboxes .

But the GS has a dry clutch and seperate gearbox, so is the same set up as a car.
So no need for the motorcycle specific oils, as you don't need all the unnecessary additives.

This is why i run mine on £4.50 a gallon asda value oil :rob

but mainly because im tight as a newts tadger

incidentally i brought a gallon of hein gericke 10w40 for my sv, but the frickin bottle they gave me had a tiny split in it (i didnt notice) when i got back my top box was smeared in a lovely layer of protective oil... :blast

This is why i run mine on £4.50 a gallon asda value oil :rob

but mainly because im tight as a newts tadger

And I thought I was cheap.

(note to self - shop at Asda)

(further note to self - remember, Wilko is an expensive rip-off)

Not many of them seem to have the 20/50.

So far its been fine to be honest. Its a simple engine and im a simple person... so it just feels right somehow :) I was going to put some more expensive stuff in but i cant justify it.

Besides, reguarly changed cheapo oil is better than expensive oil thats left in for tens of K's

harley davidson dealers have loads of 20/50 oil in stock, both mineral and synthetic. To members in the northwest I can supply a semi synthetic 20/50.

Surely the operating temperature of the engine is dependant upon the opening set point of the oil thermostat and/or the load the engine is under??

Back
Top Bottom