suggestions for long commute

Berwick Ranger

Right then, I am about to start commuting on mr 1150gs most days to my new job (70 miles or so each way). I have only really been a sunny weekend rider before.

I was just wondering what suggestions for essential / handy equipment people have. I have full luggage so was thinking about carrying a few bits:

spare bulbs
puncture repair kit
fuses
headtorch
mini compressor and aux socket adapter to run it off
(have breakdown cover from my ducati days....)

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Any gems of wisdom appreciated.

Right then, I am about to start commuting on mr 1150gs most days to my new job (70 miles or so each way). I have only really been a sunny weekend rider before.

I was just wondering what suggestions for essential / handy equipment people have. I have full luggage so was thinking about carrying a few bits:

spare bulbs
puncture repair kit
fuses
headtorch
mini compressor and aux socket adapter to run it off
(have breakdown cover from my ducati days....)

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Any gems of wisdom appreciated.

spare bulbs - have you considered improving the lights so this becomes unecessary? HID - spots - etc. + rear leds and indicator panels ala Techno's excellent kit.

Puncture repair kit (in the tool box)

Fuses - spares already in the fuse box.

headtorch - useful - yes probably. (for when you encounter some poor sod on his broken down Ducati)

mini compressor? dunno about that one - there's air in the pucture kit.

my advice is stop worrying - you have 'rescue' for when/if the worst happens. Trust your bike. :thumb

essential stuff for a 140 mile round trip commute? A car :D

or if you HAVE to ride the bike :rolleyes: some heated kit. Gloves and a jacket should suffice :thumb2

Right then, I am about to start commuting on mr 1150gs most days to my new job (70 miles or so each way).
[..]
I have full luggage so was thinking about carrying a few bits:

1. Take the luggage off & save on increased fuel economy. Makes filtering easier too.
2. Take an AA card & a mobile phone (other breakdown companies are available)
3. Muffs & a heated waistcoat will make you warm

Don't bother carrying anything else, you're not riding to Scotland and back :)

Cheers!

The most important thing to take with you is "courage", I take it on a 110mile commute every day to work and back. it comes in really useful when the 4 wheelers are busy wandering across lanes, texting friends and all at 80mph...

Have fun!! CJ

Muffs for certain, just put some on mine and they are excellent, from someone on this forum. Good waterproofs/riding kit, thermal underwear, balaclava, waterproof boots and thermal socks, spare gloves for when the others get wet and you have to drive home at the end of the day.

another muffer

They are superb, still using summer gloves on mine, get yourself a set of good muffs before anything else.

Commute

Do take a mini compressor brilliant bits of kit the bottles are apain to use and will only partally inflate one puncture. My compressor ($9 in Wal Mart 2001) is brilliant of course don't forget to put on a bmw plug!. Heated jacket is a good buy as are thermals m&s are good. All this will go in a top box with ease,
have a good comute.
dave ( It's over!!!!!!!) gs.

Good quality riding kit - Cheap waterproofs are cheap for a reason. I do the same mileage as you and invest in quality kit - it is bad turning up for work cold with rain dripping down your back.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I do have some reasonably good kit, but am in a position where I don't HAVE to take the bike - just better for nipping around traffic. Muffs are obviously a great idea - even an hour this afternoon left me with cold fingers. I was thinking of adding so neoprene "flaps" to the undersides of the BMW handguards, to try and stop the windchill that gets the botton of your fingers.

Cpt Pugwash - I am heading your way into Blyth itself. Have I seen other posts that mention you doing peoples services on GS's? That would be be very convenient! (or have i just dreamt that one up?)

BTW - "mr 1150gs" on my original post should have read "my 1150gs" - I really don't refer to my bikes as people!

your coming to blyth most people try to get out lol. yeh i work in newsham motorcycles its a small garage but we never stop due to the reputation the workshop has we work on everything from you basic oil and filter to tyres to powder coating and full engine tuning , the list is endless

Long commute

Cornhill to Sunderland for me, so may see you on the A1 south of Morpeth. Only spares I carry are a spare bulb and fuse kit left over from trips to Europe. Only needed to change a bulb once in 8 years so not really essential. Good kit makes a differance and a heated waist coat is a ' best buy'. I much prefer the bike over the car for my commute, but that is down the A697 rather than the A1.

Watch for the black ice, there's been a bit about first thing in the last few weeks.

Jeff:)

NTHBK.jpg

its a Stebel Nautilus airhorn, if you havn't got an airhorn already this is recommended for waking up sleepy car drivers, pedestrians and everyone else within a 20 mile radius :)

Back
Top Bottom