Amsterdam Ferry to Trier Area ?

cumbriabeems

Hi all, we have booked our holiday down in Austria where we will be doing some touring. Planning to take a good few days getting there so we are taking some time on the planning stages, to see some good sights on the way.

However, the first day will just be a plain ordinary ride from the Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry to our first night stay at Klotten on the Mosel, North East of Trier.

This will probably turn out to be one of the longest rides, the other days quite leisurely riding I hope !

Can anyone tell us what this stage is like? Is it motorways, main roads, busy, dodgy etc etc or are there better ways of doing things? The Garmin looks like its taking us on the outskirts of Koln - A15 / A73 / A61 / A553 This is 240 miles.

Any advice will be handy. The rest of the route will be posted as we get it planned.

Cheers, David & Lyn

Firstly, 240 miles is nothing. I'm assuming you are arriving after an overnight crossing so getting an early start.

Whichever route you take, you have to get through some pretty dull and very built up territory. There are no tolls on the motorways so I would blast down them as quick as possible and get to the Eiffel Mountains/Mosel for lunch. If possible, dump the luggage at your hotel and spend the afternoon looking around the area.

The area is lovely and worthy of a few days in your itinery. The city of Trier is worthy of a day in itself, especially if you have an interest in Roman history.

Therewas some discussion of IJmuiden in another thread - someone said they'd been told IJmuiden is a nightmare to get out of - which isn'tmy experience at all, I have to say. Yes, some Dutch roads are slow-ish and sped limits are policed hard but it's not a problem.

As for routing and strategy, wessie's spot on IMHO. I've not got into Mapsource for this, but a cursory glance at Google Maps puts Klotten not far away from Koblenz so a fast route will be IJmuiden to Venlo, then pick up the E31 towards Koln and Koblenz and turn off that road to reach Klotten. You'll be there in 3.5 hours with a bit of luck....... once you're on the German side of the border if you're only doing 80 on the E routes you'll be about the slowest thing for miles anyway :augie

And frankly, given the choice between bimbling about round the Mosel and bimbling about on small Dutch roads, I'll bimble round the Mosel any time. It's just gorgeous.

Don't forget your motorway vignette in Austria :blast

Cheers

There is the 1st day planned and in the Zumo. Thanks for the advice.

We go from the ferry terminal down towards Eindhoven, then on to Venlo, then on the A61 all the way to J39 near Koblenz. Then we go off down the Mosel on the 49.

This all seems OK. Thanks again.

David

Any idea of the current rates?

No, but a vignette to cover a few days there on the bike isn't expensive - last year I thought I remembered paying about €7 but I may be wrong. Sure as hell it's not a major expense although getting lippy with the cops about not having one could be. I didn't keep the expired vignette because I didn't want the plastic panel to change colour round it. No alloy luggage on an RT, see..... :thumb:rob

I'll get me coat :eek

Any idea of the current rates?

2008 prices for a 10 day vignette was 4.80 euros on a bike. A car one is just under 8 euros.

Austria police are pretty sharp so it's not worth trying to dodge the tax. The Wellers got busted on their marathon trip around Europe. 100 Euro fine IIRC which was only 60 quid at the time but a lot more now...

2008 prices for a 10 day vignette was 4.80 euros on a bike. A car one is just under 8 euros.

Austria police are pretty sharp so it's not worth trying to dodge the tax. The Wellers got busted on their marathon trip around Europe. 100 Euro fine IIRC which was only 60 quid at the time but a lot more now...

Pretty much a no brainer then :)

Just out of interest seeing as I`ll be round that neck of the woods this summer where do you actually get these viginettes?

Cheers

Lee

BTW Hi David & Lyn :D

Hi Mate

Hi lee

looking at the website, these things are available at the border crossings, petrol stations etc etc.

How's things? Must be due a ride out when the weather improves. Need to start practising on Hard Knott etc !

David

I can reccommend the Hotel Blesius Garten on the outskirts of Trier. It is set back off the road with private parking and is about 20 minute stroll from the town centre. You pass the colloseium ruins as you walk in. It has a nice beer garden and a micro brewery on site, the restaurant is pretty good too. I have stayed there with friends numerous times either on the way to the Alps or returning to Zeebrugge for the ferry.

www.blesius-garten.de/

Hi lee

looking at the website, these things are available at the border crossings, petrol stations etc etc.

How's things? Must be due a ride out when the weather improves. Need to start practising on Hard Knott etc !

David

Alright mate :thumb2

I just wondered where you got them as like I said will be down that area in the summer so might have a run over there :D

Yup. First motorway services after crossing the border. Just look for the office with the "vignette" sign, or the scruffy heap of BMW saloons with non-Austrian registrations abandoned in a sort of "I jumped out slightly before the car stopped moving" pose :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom