Safety Camera partnership letter,NOT EXPECTING A REPLY!!!

mark2jag

Reaction score
Safety camera partnership in one of my regularly visited locations wanted feedback on its site, and SCAMeras in general, so they bloody well got it, as follows:

If you intend to convince motorists in general that you are seriously interested in reducing KSI and PCI incidents, instead of JUST raking in as much cash as you can in a short period of time (MY personal opinion, as less than 6% of accidents are DIRECTLY attributed to excess speed), Then MAY I suggest marking the rear reflective surface of the cameras with the posted speed limit at that location. I eagerly anticipate your reply, although I personally suspect I WONT get one...

Whaddya reckon.B*st*rds, grrrrrrr:ronno :censored:

whats the point? you should know what the speed limit is at all times, even if you chose to ignore it.

whats the point? you should know what the speed limit is at all times, even if you chose to ignore it.

So true. Speeding fines are voluntary financial contributions to the government.

It's not always clear! :nono

I've been driving/riding since 1990 and I've never had a speeding ticket but there are plenty of places in the UK where there is often contradictory or misleading information or indeed too much street furniture. Combine that with a wet November or December night, throw in poor lighting and some spray and you have yourself a dangerous situation.

I err on the side of caution and always drop to 30mph when I'm not sure but if it's a 40mph or 50mph zone then that is dangerous.

I know the highway code rules about the spacing of the lamp posts and all the other rules but it's not always enough and to be honest I think it is deliberately misleading because the safety camera partnership is more of a cash cow than a vehicle of safety.

:rob

I read an article recently about some roads in the UK where the speed limits painted on the tarmac was in total contradiction to the road signs. I.E 40 mph painted on the road but 30 posted on the road signs and vice versa. Muppets.:nenau

What's the point? You should know what the speed limit is at all times, even if you chose to ignore it.

Indeed. But it also seems reasonable to ask for evidence that cameras have a positive effect on road safety and that limits are reasonably set. The way limits are set has recently been changed so that local authorities are encouraged to lower them - often substantially. At the same time, they are also encouraged to erect cameras to enforce those limits.

If exceeding a numerical speed limit causes crashes the Partnerships should be able to prove it reliably. In the same way, if the imposition of a speed limit prevents crashes we should be able to see the effects of this clearly.

But, perhaps most significantly, they should be able to prove that cameras are set up in places where there a clusters of crashes that are caused by people exceeding the speed limit.

This is simple to prove - the Police complete a form called a Stats 19 form that shows the causes of all serious and fatal crashes. Strangely, I have always found camera partnerships very, VERY reluctant to release this data. And when they have - reluctantly - released the data after months of questions and FoI requests, it has - without fail - shown that the crashes used to "justify" the camera had nothing to do with anyone exceeding a limit.

However, as you say, the law is the law and exceeding a limit by even as much as 1mph is a crime. The point of asking questions about why that law is there? Shouldn't the citizens of a country have a right to laws which achieve something - apart from simple compliance with the law?

I heard today that every single week for the last year the Camera Safety Partnership receives one complete, beautifully packaged Dog Turd in the post and that they dont know where its coming from:p

it made me smile:clap in fact i laughed my b*llocks off.:roll

I know it sounds a bit mad but actually id like to see more Traffic cops on the motorways instead.
Frankly the std of driving is appaling, over taking on the inside, tailgating,etc we as bikers, are vulnerable enough without some thoughtless cretin taking us out just because there is a small gap on the inside :mad:
makes my blood boil- i want the traffic cops to see these idiots driving, not some useless camera that ignores downright dangerous driving and exists only for generating income.

M

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom